Page 1 of 401 123456789101112131415161718192051101 ... LastLast

Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, NŁrburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User

Post Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Just to keep madcockroach happy, post your random non-computer gaming, non-console gaming, non-board gaming, RPG-only thoughts here
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Grumpy Old Man
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm personally quite taken by the new Advanced Edition Companion for Labyrinth Lord. Depending on your bias, it either a half step from B/X toward AD&D 1e, or a great substitute for the never released Companion set for Moldvay/Cook B/X sets (as opposed to Mentzer's BECMI line, which does have a companion set).
    fuck you guys.

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Just to keep madcockroach happy, post your random non-computer gaming, non-console gaming, non-board gaming, RPG-only thoughts here
    Bless you, sonny, for humoring a crotchety old man. All you kids with your vidyo and Pong compooter games can get the fuck off my lawn. (Although, I was cool with boardgames, but hey...)

So, I've had a chance to look at the Dresden Files RPG at length (alpha playtest copy, essentially first layout draft with only a few more changes left to be made), and it's looking pretty damn awesome. I'll likely run some DFRPG games at Origins and GenCon, and will probably playtest what I develop at the upcoming April NCGD.

Anybody got any questions about the game they wanna ask?
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

freaking RIPPED Rodrigo Istalindir's Avatar
    Province
    The Grand Duchy of Rodrigonia
    Oratio

Ignore User
    How does it handle the potentially vast disparity in power levels between party members?

Quote Originally Posted by madcockroach View Post
    Anybody got any questions about the game they wanna ask?
    How are they working magic?
    Bold adventurers needed! Now recruiting adventures in the Scarred Lands!
    Slaad's Scarred Lands Pathfinder PbP: (Recruiting - IC - OOC - Characters)

The Secret Volcano Base: my neglected RPG blog

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo Istalindir View Post
    How does it handle the potentially vast disparity in power levels between party members?
    I need to read more in depth, but the quick answer is that it does and it doesn't.

Where it does, the GM sets the power-level for the game (Feet in the Water, Up to Your Waist, Chest-Deep, Submerged ... all of these references essentially to how much trouble you are ... and are in ) and the players have an equal number of skill and refresh rate points to spend, and a max cap on how high your skill level can be to start. Some kind of rough balance is achieved via a combination of differing refresh rates and differing access to stunts based on whatever your chosen template is (pure mortal, changeling, were-form, etc.) and high concept (essentially who you are and what you do), and some other fiddly bits depending on what you might be playing. The more powerful options, of course, cost more skill points or reduce your Fate point refresh rate.

Where it doesn't, it looks like they threw out the SotC pyramid... sorta. And a wizard is generally more powerful than a regular Karrin Murphy mortal or even a Billy-type were-form. But playing that Harry Dresden type with a heavy wizard specialization is going to cost you a lot up front in character development (definitely more detailed a process than SotC) -- and it doesn't necessarily make you any more difficult to kill (which is also in line with the books, as Harry is pretty much always on the verge of dying in every fight he gets into). In other words, Harry can likely blast the shit outta Murphy or Billy, but it's not difficult for Murphy to shoot Harry dead, or for Billy to tear him limb-from-limb. Combat, in general, is grim, gritty, and lethal for EVERYONE ... and running is always an option, often preferable.

Of course, this is a very first impression based on a cursory reading of a something that seems both very familiar and completely different at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Slaad View Post
    How are they working magic?
    The very short answer to that is that they're simply an extension of stunts "built much like several mortal stunts all smashed together, getting two shifts (and maybe a little extra) of effect for every one refresh point they cost. As such, new powers may be built using much of the same logic as mortal stunts provided." [verbatim from book, which I probably SHOULDN'T be doing, but I think they'll let me slide by with that]

So, like SotC, they *might* catch some criticism for having too many stunts to peruse through, although the Supernatural Powers (i.e., magic) stunts are all minor and interesting variations on a major theme or two (essentially "brute force" evocation, or "associative/"in the small, you find the big" thaumaturgy), certainly no more complex in design than D&D's schools of magic -- stunts either have an effect all their own, or boost/add trappings to a skill, or work in combination with some other stunt.
    Last edited by madwabbit; February 23rd, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
    --
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I've fixed your title. Slacker.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post

Me likee.
    --
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, NŁrburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Oh, do you want to go and edit one of my posts while you're at it, TSIV?
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    This is perilously NOT RPG-related, boyo...
    --
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Province
    The palace of WTF!
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Aw hell, I'll dignify this with a response.

Go fuck yourself.

Happiness is a Warm Gun Exploder Wizard's Avatar
    Province
    Fredericksburg VA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by francisca View Post
    I'm personally quite taken by the new Advanced Edition Companion for Labyrinth Lord. Depending on your bias, it either a half step from B/X toward AD&D 1e, or a great substitute for the never released Companion set for Moldvay/Cook B/X sets (as opposed to Mentzer's BECMI line, which does have a companion set).
    I just looked at this. I will be ordering a print copy soon.

Province
    Colorado Springs
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I have a theory: Mongoose Runequest + Call of Cthulhu Dreamlands = Awesome Fantasy Adventure.
    If you're going to be an asshole, commit. Don't piss on me and tell me that it's raining.

Random thought: I really need a regular weekly gaming group that games on weekends. That's one thing I miss with my move.
    "I learned a long time ago, Reuven, that a blink of an eye in itself is nothing. But the eye that blinks, that is something. A span of life is nothing. But the man who lives that span, he is something. He can fill that tiny span with meaning, so its quality is immeasurable though its quantity may be insignificant. Do you understand what I am saying? A man must fill his life with meaning, meaning is not automatically given to life."

Province
    Detroit, yo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Wait; is Dresden Files FATE based?

• Page 1 of 401 123456789101112131415161718192051101 ... LastLast