Thread: Random RPG Thoughts (No Videogames Allowed!)

Aaaahh, shuutup! Kid Charlemagne's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    My 5e game has a certain amount of steampunk elements to it: airships, constructs, etc. That's going to be a recurring element, so I've been thinking of how to make some interesting constructs. There are some constructs in the various monster books but most are a little too specialized, or powerful, etc. And in any case not quite what I'm looking for. I want some relatively mundane constructs that are still mechanically interesting.

I think I figured out my approach on that. They'll essentially all be based off the Animated Armor stat block, which is CR 1. They'll have 1 or 2 additional "tricks" up their sleeves, and possibly some vulnerabilities (aside from the animated armors vulnerability to anti-magic or dispel magic). For example, a construct designed to capture or restrain someone (like a guard) might fire nets, or have a sleep gas (as sleep spell) or fire slippery oil (as a grease spell). A more combat focused one might be have a flame thrower (burning hands) or possibly improved strength, damage, or a reach weapon. One designed for pursuit might have an ability like the Hunters Mark spell, or improved movement speed or an ability like the Jump spell. All first level spell equivalent sort of stuff.

Fancier, more advanced models might have slightly better stats, or abilities that mimic higher level spells. Different Artificers might specialize in certain types of construct.

I have an idea for a late game enemy where the big bad has captured teh soul of a phoenix in a construct phoenix under his control, and the PC's will have to fight it - and possibly free it so it can be reborn as it should be...
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    Humble (Houston), TX
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I haven't read it, but the monster book from Kobold Press (Tome of Beasts) is supposed to have a ton of clockwork monsters in it. Maybe something useful there, or is that one of the books you've already checked?
    you suddenly see a light, behind it is a glow, too bright to see, it comes toward you and part of it breaks off, and hits the ground near you, All magic and magic items cease to function and you all take 50 million divine damage ignoring damage reduction and immunities. Also you area all disintegrated.

Aaaahh, shuutup! Kid Charlemagne's Avatar
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Nall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I haven't read it, but the monster book from Kobold Press (Tome of Beasts) is supposed to have a ton of clockwork monsters in it. Maybe something useful there, or is that one of the books you've already checked?
    It is, and it does have some really good clockwork stuff that I intend to use for some of the more esoteric clockwork creatures (it also has some really good fey that I plan on using). I also need to drag out my Iron Kingdoms 3.5 books, as they have a lot of construct stuff as well that I've made use of in the past and can convert to 5E.

Incidentally one of the things I'm liking about 5E is that I find it really easy to kitbash monsters as needed.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Incidentally one of the things I'm liking about 5E is that I find it really easy to kitbash monsters as needed.
    I re-skin monsters all the time. That rundown clank? Use the ogre stat block and add resistance to to physical damage to it.

Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I have to reskin some yuan-ti. I wanted to use the ones from Volo's but they're not quite challenging enough for my 9th-level party. I guess I could always bump up the numbers on the Volo's ones but that just seems cheap.
    "Cunt. A word that sounds like a tennis ball hitting a racket in the sweet spot." ~ shiningbrow

• Page 387 of 387 FirstFirst ... 287337368369370371372373374375376377378379380381382383384385386387