Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Province
    Zagreb
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Pozer The Presbyterian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    hey definitely use alt.materials. Mithral & adamantine is absolutely fine as you're high enough level to afford it.

Generally their armor is more similar to the stereotypical japanese forms in function & design. Small plates (of a treated wood composite* rather than iron) connected with silk cords & brightly lacquered. The really high level folks go to war in brightly colored glowing panoplies reminescent of that used by the Tanu in the Many Colored Land.

I'll get some stats to you.

If you've ever read Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series you should have a pretty good visual representation of the elven armor (and the fey behavior itself...Hellboy 2's elves aren't a bad source either).
    So something like the mythological Celtic elves but with a bit of an exotic/Oriental slant? I was pretty close to start with Warhammer's Eldar, then.

FYI I forgot to add it previously but instead of the typical free weapon profs you pick either a Witchblade** (functionally same as a Scimitar) OR a Longblade** (functionally the same as a Falchion).
    Are the elven exotic weapons from... Races of the Wild I think? used by your elves? The thinblade and the big finessable katana-like thing?

**..and yes the primary material is a bronze alloy that rivals steel in strength.
    At normal cost, or special material cost?

Yes they do. I just keep the lists separate & focus on the effects.
    So if I use a mage blade, I use AU feats rather than 3.5 feats? Or mix and match?

Lieutenant Dummy Stupid-Butt Ftumch's Avatar
    Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I've added the skills/feats list in post 85 for the city boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek View Post
    Felon? not in this jurisdiction ...
    Whatever you say gov'nur.

[i]What about alignment? Are we playing with, without, some homebrew interpretive thereof?[i]
    By the book...but mostly ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by jasin View Post
    So something like the mythological Celtic elves but with a bit of an exotic/Oriental slant? I was pretty close to start with Warhammer's Eldar, then.
    Pretty much straight Celtic....the exotic slant has always been there...just trying to bring it back out more.

Are the elven exotic weapons from... Races of the Wild I think? used by your elves? The thinblade and the big finessable katana-like thing?
    If you want to spend the extra feat for one sure. They're not free profs.

At normal cost, or special material cost?
    Use half the extra cost of mithral (so +250gp for a weapon).

So if I use a mage blade, I use AU feats rather than 3.5 feats? Or mix and match?
    Pick one set or the other & stick with it.

Elven Armour:

Light
    Elven Scale 350gp +3 +6 -1 15% 30ft 15lb
    Medium
    Partial Elven Lamellar 750gp +4 +5 -2 20% 20ft 20lb
    Heavy
    Full Elven Lamellar 2,500gp +6 +3 -4 30% 20ft 30lb
    Last edited by Ftumch; March 24th, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
    ---In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]I've added the skills/feats list in post 85 for the city boy.
    I think you posted previously, but then edited but was that 1 regional skill (and at what rank) and 1 regional feat as a bonus?

Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Davek View Post
    I think you posted previously, but then edited but was that 1 regional skill (and at what rank) and 1 regional feat as a bonus?
    Ooops!!

Choose one background feat which is free on top of any/all other feats granted by race/class/level.

Choose one background skill which becomes a class skill & you gain 4 skill points in it automatically (ie max at 1st level).

Language (rough real world equivalent):

Common (English)
    Nord (Old Norse) - the primary language used in the starting region of course
    The Commonwealth/Dark Forest (Dutch)
    Forest Confederation (Algonquin & Iroquoian)
    Aleut (Eskimo-Aleut family)
    Southern/Civilized/Assimilated tribes (Muskogean family)
    Sameh (Uralic Family)
    Dwarven
    Elvish
    Gnomish (Greek) (There are actually two Gnomish languages...one for every day useage & one reserved for religious use)
    Halfling (Brythonic Celtic Branch…ie Welsh)
    Giant (Trolls also speak Giant)
    Mountaineers (Goedelic Celtic Branch…ie Irish)
    Alexandrian (Latin)
    Berbers (Arabic)
    Last edited by Ftumch; March 24th, 2010 at 04:15 PM.

WIS is my dump stat! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Fenris's Avatar
    Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Haakon Ravensblight

Male Human Viking 5th Level/ Jomsviking 3rd level
    N medium humanoid
    23 years old
    6' 3", 190 pounds, red hair, blond beard with red streaks, blue eyes.

Init +7 (+1 Dex +2 Blooded, +4 Imp Init)

AC 25, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+8 armor, +5 shield, +1 Dex, +0 size, +1 misc. mods)

HP: 94 (12 + 5d12 + 3d10+ 24 Con) (3/4 Option)

Languages: Nord, English

Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +3
    Spd 30 ft.
    Base Atk +8/+3; Grp +12; Melee +12; Ranged +9

Abilities
    Str 18, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 9

4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2)=12, 4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2)=17, 4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2)=13, 4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2)=9, 4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2)=15

Feats
    Blooded*, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Broadsword), Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Focus (Broadsword), Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Initiative, Galdradag, Strandhugg,

*Cannot become Shaken

Class Abilities
    Aura of Courage

Skills

Appraise +7 (6), Balance +4 (3), Climb +6 (2), Diplomacy +9 (8), Intimidate +10 (11), Jump +6 (2), Knowledge: Geography/Navigation +5 (4), Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty +6 (5), Knowledge: Religion +3 (2), Perform: Poetry +4 (5), Profession (Sailor) +7 (6), Ride +5 (4), Spot +3 (0), Survival +6 (5), Swim +6 (2), Use Rope +4 (3)

Combat Gear
    Broadsword +16/+11 1d10+7 19-20x2

Possessions

Coin: 208 gp

Goods:
    Son of Gleipnir -Chain byrnja +3 (9,300 gp) This fine brynja was reputedly made by the duergar in ancinet days. The links are fine and supple and the armor fairly shimmers in ones hand. For it's suppleness, it is strong as stone and turns arrow, axe and spear. Haakon came by this one in a troll horde last year, though how long it lay there only the stones know.

Arrow's Sorrow-Large Wooden Shield +3 (9,157 gp) This large round shield is made from the toughest oaks fround in the Dark Forest. Ancient Runes are carves around the rim, then bound in double layers of bear leather. This red and white shield protects its owner very well from a wide variety of attacks, but legends tells of it's first owner never being struck by an arrow while carrying the sheild.

Jotenblud-Broadsword +2 (8,335 gp) This weapon Haakon found in the same troll horde as Son of Gleipnir. Though it is powerful, the runes on it give no hint of it's origins, at least that the runecasters in his village can tell. But Haakon likes the way it swings, and his first use of it after he found it was against a giant, thus he named it for its use. Perhaps this sword needs some new runes to tell the tales of its feats in the hands of this viking.

Background Info:

Spoiler:

Haakon was born on a small farm in Nordheim and grew as most young boys doing. Learning to farm and fish but also to sail and to fight.
    Last edited by Fenris; April 11th, 2010 at 04:29 AM.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

Play By Post Games

Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Goz, you never anserwed (at least that I saw) about HP.
    It just got list in the noise...

Max HP at 1st...roll for the rest (if you'd rather just take the average instead of rolling go ahead).
    BTW love the magic item descriptions.

Got a pic of Haakon?
    Last edited by Ftumch; March 24th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

THEOCIUS

Male Human(New Alexandrite)
    Rogue 8
    CG
    Medium humanoid ( human )
    Languages Common, Elven, Gnome, Alexandrian
    Face 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.

Init +5;
    Senses Listen +9, Spot +0,
    AC 17, touch 15, flat-footed 12;
    Fort +2, Ref +11, Will +2
    Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)

hp 38 (8 HD) Current = 28 GRAPPLED

Ranged crossbow, light +11/+6 (1d8 /19-20 )
    Melee masterwork dagger +12/+7 (1d4+1 /19-20 )
    Ranged masterwork dagger (thrown) +12/+7 (1d4+1 /19-20 )

Base Atk +6; Grp +7

Abilities
    Str 13,
    Dex 20,
    Con 11,
    Int 18,
    Wis 11,
    Cha 14

Special Abilities
    Evasion (Ex),
    Improved Uncanny Dodge (can't be flanked except by a level 12 rogue),
    Sneak Attack +4d6,
    Trap Sense (Ex) +2,
    TrapfindingFeats

Feats
    Armor Proficiency (Light),
    Deceitful,
    Negotiator,
    Persuasive,
    Simple Weapon Proficiency,
    Street Smart,
    Weapon Finesse

Skills
    Appraise +10,
    Balance +5,
    Bluff +15,
    Climb +6,
    Craft (Untrained) +4,
    Decipher Script +13,
    Diplomacy +14,
    Disable Device +15,
    Disguise +10,
    Disguise (Act in character) +12,
    Escape Artist +20,
    Forgery +12,
    Gather Information +10,
    Hide +15,
    Intimidate +12,
    Jump +6,
    Listen +9,
    Move Silently +15,
    Ride +5,
    Search +7,
    Sense Motive +15,
    Swim +1,
    Use Magic Device +11,
    Use Magic Device (Scroll) +13,
    Use Rope +9,
    Use Rope (Bind someone) +11,

Possessions
    gloves of dexterity +2 - Received, from a long time client of mine, in payment for a particularily accurate copy of 'official' tax exemption writs.

scabbard of keen edges Purchase from a panic stricken fence of my aquaintance, shortly before he abandoned New Alexandria a few steps ahead of the authorities. Although to be truthful, I was the one to alert him to that fact.

vest of escape - Obtained very early on in my career, from a sometime mentor and teacher in the shady arts. I always new there was something special about Marcus's vest, so when I discovered his dead body outside the tavern we were staying at, with a bolt through his lower stomach, I took the opportunity to give the vest a good home.

Dagger +1
    masterwork leather
    traveler's outfit
    Crossbow, Light [ Bolt, Crossbow (x20); ]
    Pouch (Belt)
    Warhorse (Light)
    Saddlebags
    Saddle (Military)
    Bedroll
    Blanket (Winter)
    Waterskin x 2
    Spade
    Bit and Bridle

Description

Dark hair and tanned skin.
    Brown eyes
    about 5'8"
    150 lbs.

Dressed in serviceable yet worn traveling cloths of grey and brown shades.
    Riding a well cared for war horse.

History

The son of a New Alexandrite scribe, Theocius began a typical middle income family childhood, learning the craft of his father, and gaining a basic education. When Theocius was nine, his father ran afoul of the dark underbelly of New Alexandria. Unable to pay mounting gambling debts, the family fled to the streets. Theocius's father was eventually killed by the gang handling his debt, and his mother lost hope in life, quickly wasting away until she died later that year.

Theocius learned to live and adapt to life on the street, until at the age of thirteen he entered into an informal apprenticeship with a local swindler Marcus. The young man quickly learned the tricks of the trade and rose quickly in skills, becoming one of the better forgers and confidence men in the city. Alas as all good things must come to an end, so too Theocius's life in the city of New Alexandria. Drawing the attention of a wealthy and corrupt patrician seemed to be the ticket to the next level in Theocius's complicated schemes, however he was outed by a gang rival and was forced to flee with nothing but what he had on his person at the time.

Overt the next few months, Theocius tried to hide from his pursuers, shocked at the tenacity of the patricians anger, until finally it seemed as if he had shook them. Theocius then decided to travel to a remote location to try and rebuild his life.
    Last edited by Davek; May 12th, 2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: At a late age in life I learned to speak my native language ...

Province
    Zagreb
    Oratio

Ignore User
    4d6 six times:

4d6 → [6,2,6,6] = (20)
    4d6 → [5,1,1,5] = (12)
    4d6 → [3,3,6,3] = (15)
    4d6 → [1,6,4,5] = (16)
    4d6 → [4,6,3,5] = (18)
    4d6 → [5,4,4,2] = (15)

Reroll the first two 1s and the third one (I missed it the first time around):

1d6 → [3] = (3)
    1d6 → [4] = (4)
    1d6 → [3] = (3)

So that's:

[6,2,6,6] = (18)
    [5,3,4,5] = (14)
    [3,3,6,3] = (12)
    [3,6,4,5] = (15)
    [4,6,3,5] = (15)
    [5,4,4,2] = (13)

Looks pretty good! I usually feel I have crap luck on random stat generation, so this is a happy development.

Province
    Zagreb
    Oratio

Ignore User
    If you want to spend the extra feat for one sure. They're not free profs.
    Naturally.

Use half the extra cost of mithral (so +250gp for a weapon).
    But no other benefits of mithral, just the fact that it's not iron, so it's usable without complication by elves?

Pick one set or the other & stick with it.
    Makes sense.

Elven Armour:
    These are non-metal by design, so they doesn't need the surcharge for mithral/special bronze, right?

the sandwich is next! SeatownJay's Avatar
    Province
    In my own mind
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm considering taking the Foe Hunter bonus feat for my Forest Confederation scout and want to know if Trollborn would be an acceptable choice for the favored enemy.
    space for rent

Province
    Zagreb
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Danu's Favor - The goddess watches over you as your fey blood runs thicker than most.
    Benefit: Your ancestry grants you a +1 bonus on all saving throws. It also gives you a bonus spell known at each spell level, starting at 1st, according to the following list.
    Detect Secret Doors
    Glitterdust
    Tongues
    Hallucinatory Terrain
    Seeming
    Mislead
    Sequester
    Otto's Irresistable Dance
    Wail of the Banshee
    Although folklore often associates fey creatures with the spirits of the dead, this belief could not be further from the truth--in fact, all fey are inherently bound to life. Thus, a character with the Fey Bloodline cannot learn or cast spells that create or control undead and all such spells are removed from the spell lists of al their spell casting classes.
    Would this work with mystic (from Dragonlance, basically cleric with sorcerer-like rather than wizard-like casting), or just sorcerer?

Flashing Crow Style - You have been trained in the combat style of The Morrigan's war witches.
    Benefit: When fighting with an elven witch blade, elven longblade or spear, you may use your Dexterity modifier on attack rolls. If you use a shield, it's armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls. Additionally you gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls to confirm critical hits with any bow.
    Is the Morrigan a deity or a normal (elven) person? Any important differences from the mythological Morrigan (war, death, prophecy)? Are male elves ever "war witches"?

Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    But no other benefits of mithral, just the fact that it's not iron, so it's usable without complication by elves?
    Correct

These are non-metal by design, so they doesn't need the surcharge for mithral/special bronze, right?
    Yes the price already factors materials (they're actually a composite...wood/alloy/leather/silk etc).

Looks pretty good! I usually feel I have crap luck on random stat generation, so this is a happy development.
    Well I didn't exactly give you a gimped method there either.

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownJay View Post
    I'm considering taking the Foe Hunter bonus feat for my Forest Confederation scout and want to know if Trollborn would be an acceptable choice for the favored enemy.
    Trollborn are rare enough that it's probably not worth it. Essentially any really big guy (usually with gray hair) is going to be suspected of having trollblood by his neighbors.

Trolls on the other hand are a pretty diverse group...

Would this work with mystic (from Dragonlance, basically cleric with sorcerer-like rather than wizard-like casting), or just sorcerer?
    Divine spellcasters are almost nonexistent among the elves so sorcerer would be a much better choice.

Is the Morrigan a deity or a normal (elven) person?
    She is the widow of a former elven high king. Probably the oldest of the elves still around...and generally creeps people out. Rousseau from Lost might be a good analogy...a woman who has lost everything she loves and is now more than a little bit crazy.

Any important differences from the mythological Morrigan (war, death, prophecy)?
    That'll give you the general gist of her.

Are male elves ever "war witches"?
    Absolutely

FWIW the Halflings once viewed the Elves as deities after the elves invaded their island & defeated them in battle. They no longer do so of course (and there are still some tensions between the two groups to this day) but it can be argued that's the source of some of the myths regarding the Tuatha De Danna as "gods".

As touched upon a bit earlier many of these groups are mythologized in the Book of Invasions. Halflings (Fir Bolg) were early inhabitants of the island before it was invaded by the Elves (Tuatha Dé Danann). The Dé Danann also fought off a number of invasions by the sea people (Fomorians) who are the ancestors of the Nordheimers. Finally a number of human tribes (Milesians) pushed the Elves back in turn...those people were various Gaelic tribes & the mountain folk are among their descendents (based on contemporary Scotch/Irish).

The Nords & Dwarves came to the new world pretty much in the same way as in the real world...they just stuck around a lot longer & prospered.

A number of Halflings (led by a prince) fled the island after the Elven invasion & ended up in the new world.

Many Elves also left the island under pressure from the human invaders & also ended up in the New World.

The later groups of humans also mostly correspond more with real world patterns in the 17th/18th centuries (with the exception of the Roman/Byzantine presence which is closer to Cesar's expeditions in England). The mountain folk among the earliest groups...again fleeing from pressure back home.

So most of the "old world" groups in the new world came in waves fleeing their original homes....and most of them have a history with one another...which still occasionally causes issues today even though some of the past greivances are several hundred or more years in the past.
    Last edited by Ftumch; March 25th, 2010 at 05:30 PM.

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I am totally stealing this stat block design.

Grim Bjarki (Grim Loðinbak)

Male Human(Nord)
    Vikti 8
    N
    Medium humanoid (human)
    Languages: Common, Nord
    Face 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.

Init +2;
    Senses Listen +3, Spot +5,
    AC 20 (10+4(Armor)+6(Shield)), touch 16, flat-footed 14;
    Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +8
    Speed 30 ft. (4 squares)

hp 74 (8d8+24; or 8+(7*6)+24)

Melee: "Gifr" +7 (1d8+3 /19-20)
    Melee saex +6 (1d4+2 /19-20 )
    Ranged composite longbow +4 (1d8+2 /x3)

Base Atk +5; Grp +7

Abilities: Level Increases in Con and Wis
    Str 14,
    Dex 11,
    Con 16,
    Int 14,
    Wis 17,
    Cha 13

Special Abilities
    Runecasting,
    Wild Empathy

Feats (Class and Bonus)
    Class:
    - Armor Proficiency (Light, Medium, Heavy, Shields, Tower Shields),
    - Weapon Proficiency (Simple, Martial)
    Human Bonus:
    - Second Sight (from Frost & Fur)
    Nord Bonus:
    - Blooded

Feats (Level)
    1st Shield Specialization (Heavy) (from PHB2)
    3rd Iron Will
    6th Retribution (from Frost & Fur)

Skills (Total Skill Points = 77)
    Concentration +12,
    Craft (Carving) +10
    Diplomacy +5,
    Handle Animal +12,
    Heal +7,
    Knowledge (Nature) +8,
    Knowledge (Nobility/Royalty) +7,
    Spellcraft +13,
    Swim +13,
    Survival +9

Runes Known
    0th ken-maat, olrun, thorn-maat, thorn-maug, tiw-maug
    1st behagarun, is-maat, rad-maat, rad-maug, tiw-maat
    2nd nyd-maat, skrikarun, ur-maat
    3rd beorc-maat, hjalprun
    4th wyn-maat

Possessions
    Gifr (longsword +1, "Thirsty", 8315gp)
    - A pattern welded sword, unadorned though otherwise sturdy in appearance.
    Spoiler:

- When wielding Gifr, a vitki (or other runecaster) may inscribe tiw-maat on the weapon as a swift action. Doing so causes the vitki to automatically rist the rune at 4 times the normal cost - damage from this risting may be halved with a Spellcraft check (DC 21).
    - Gifr is also a fleshgrinding weapon: You can activate a fleshgrinding weapon any time you deal damage with it to a living creature in melee. When this occurs, you let go of the weapon and it magically animates, grinding itself into the foe's flesh. In each round at the start of your turn, it automatically damages that creature as if you had scored a normal hit with it (including damage from the weapon's enhancement bonus, other weapon properties, and your normal bonus from Strength, but not extra damage from feats such as Power Attack). The grinding continues for 5 rounds or until you or someone else pulls the fleshgrinding weapon free; doing this requires a standard action and (for anyone other than you) a successful DC 20 Strength check. After the duration expires, a fleshgrinding weapon returns to your hand (as the returning weapon property). It will not return to your hand if the target has pulled the weapon free and still holds it.

"One day this sword will kill me, it certainly tried when it was stuck in my belly for 9 long nights. Until then, I'll feed it my enemies, and hope that slakes its thirst."

Dagan-hlíf (+2 blinding heavy mithral shield)
    - A large round mithral shield with a golden-tinged boss.
    "This is a gift from Borri - a dverge I knew once. He was small and frail, but boasted as if he were a giant - when he boasted on time to many, it ended in holmgang. I fought in his stead, and in return he gave me this shield, made from the rays of the sun."

Geit-hefnd (Ring of the Ram, er She-Goat, 48 charges)
    - A gaudy horn and brass ring, decorated with a goat's head.
    "I took this from Gunnar Halt-Leg, after he used it on my brother and knocked him overboard when they went out a-viking. Gunnar's father paid the weregeld to mine before I could find the bastard who murdered my brother. Let me tell you, weregeld or not, if I find him again there will be holmgang, and if that is not enough, bloodfeud."

saex
    masterwork byrnie (chain shirt)
    traveler's outfit
    composite longbow (+2), 20 arrows
    belt pouch
    30 gp in various coin
    large satchel
    33 gp in multiple bags, pouches, etc
    flint/steel
    masterwork carving tools
    pigments and brushes
    runestones (semi-precious stones, 40 gp)
    blanket/Bedroll
    meadskin
    hacksilver armbands (350 gp worth)

Spoiler:
    Few men would have predicted that Arinbjorn's round faced (and round bellied) boy Grim would turn out to be so, well, grim. Even up through his fjortan he was a genial, if somewhat clumsy, young man. It was during those years that he entered man-hood a few years earlier than his fellow, and was branded first "Loðinbak" for his prematurely hairy torso, and then "Bjarki" sometime soon before his first raid.

It was on that raid, however, that his life took an unexpected turn.

Their target was to be a sleepy hamlet rich with booty, but their ship was run aground some distance away from their destination. Those that managed to climb ashore were cut down by something pale and ghastly that emerged from a lone stone dwelling. To Grim - waterlogged and groggy from his swim - it seemed more draugr than man. He fought, and struck the thing's head from it's shoulders as it drive its sword into his belly. He fell to the shore, a soundless death song on his lips, facing the thing's severed head.

Grim lay there on the shore for 9 days with a sword in his gut, but he did not die. Instead, he talked. He talked to himself. to the carrion birds that circled overhead, and to the head of his killer. On the morning 9th day, the head talked back.

The parley lasted until the setting of the sun, after which Grim pulled the blade from his belly, cleaved the thing's head in twain, and set about finding a way home. If Grim has ever spoken of this trip, it was not to any of his current companions.

When he finally returned to the steading, a week after the first snow of winter, he was as dour and gloomy as his namesake, exhibiting strange powers and seeing draugr wherever he went. He drank, kept poor company, and was involved in trouble more often than not. Some said he had actually died out in the wilderness - if he wasn't then he acted as if he wished for it. This lasted until the death of his brother, Njal, about which the less is said in Grim's presence the better.

Since then Grim has traveled constantly, looking for something, or possibly someone, that he does not readily discuss.
    Last edited by Enkhidu; April 13th, 2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Fixed HP to to be 3/4 per die.

Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    How about some descriptions & backgrounds people? (Art/pics are always nice too)