Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User

Question Modern army radios

I'm after some information for a game I'm planning. It's specific to the British Army, but I guess it's similar for most NATO & Commonwealth forces. I've done some digging on the internet (especially wikipedia), and worked some of it out, but I still have some questions.

I understand that a British Army platoon is made up of a Commander, Sergeant, Signalman, light mortar operator, and 3 sections. Each section is made up of two fireteams, each commanded by a NCO (Corporal & Lance-Corporal).

The British Army has been replacing its Clansmen radio system with Bowman over the last 6 or so years. This includes:
    • UK/PRC-343 (aka H4855 Personal Role Radio (PRR)) - a UHF unit for use by fireteams
    • UK/PRC-354 - 5W VHF portable transceiver
    • UK/PRC-355 - 5W manpack
    • UK/PRC-356 - 16W ground-role manpack
    • UK/VRC357 - 16 W vehicle clip-in radio
    • UK/VRC358 - 16 W low-power vehicle radio
    • UK/VRC359 - 50 W vehicle-mounted high-power radio

Questions:
    1. Does everyone get a PRR? Only section or fireteam commanders?
    2. How are the other radios distributed amongst the platoon? What does the Signalman get? The PRC355?
    3. What would a Warrior IFV be equipped with? VRC357, 8 or 9?

Thanks.
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm after some information for a game I'm planning. It's specific to the British Army, but I guess it's similar for most NATO & Commonwealth forces. I've done some digging on the internet (especially wikipedia), and worked some of it out, but I still have some questions.

I understand that a British Army platoon is made up of a Commander, Sergeant, Signalman, light mortar operator
    Organic mortars at PL level? Maybe in theory. Until very recently we used British OoB in our infantry and we never had organic mortars at PL level. That's a Coy or even Bn asset. Maybe they mean an MFC (Mortar Fire Controller, as opposed to the FMC - Fuckin Mad Cunt).

and 3 sections. Each section is made up of two fireteams, each commanded by a NCO (Corporal & Lance-Corporal).
    Offcially you have CPL commanding the section and the lance-jack (LCPL) as 2IC (2 inch cock).

But in reality you'll have plenty of LCPLs commanding sections and senior PTEs as acting 2ICs and even secos (section commanders) sometimes. Soldiers in the British system are supposed to know the role 2 levels above them because they might have to step up in a hurry if blokes die.

The British Army has been replacing its Clansmen radio system with Bowman over the last 6 or so years. This includes:
    • UK/PRC-343 (aka H4855 Personal Role Radio (PRR)) - a UHF unit for use by fireteams
    • UK/PRC-354 - 5W VHF portable transceiver
    • UK/PRC-355 - 5W manpack
    • UK/PRC-356 - 16W ground-role manpack
    • UK/VRC357 - 16 W vehicle clip-in radio
    • UK/VRC358 - 16 W low-power vehicle radio
    • UK/VRC359 - 50 W vehicle-mounted high-power radio

Questions:
    1. Does everyone get a PRR?
    Yes.

Only section or fireteam commanders?
    We use different radios but I'd say that 5W job would go to the seco and also to the 2IC if the section was likely to split into bricks (Brit and Aussie term for a fireteam), as would be the case in urban operations.

How are the other radios distributed amongst the platoon?
    There's also a sig in each section. The section and PL sigs all get that 16W radio. The 50W would likely only be used in mech PLs, with one in each APC/LAV/IFV.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Has your post lead to the advert for these people?

http://www.silynxcom.com/

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweel View Post
    Organic mortars at PL level? Maybe in theory. Until very recently we used British OoB in our infantry and we never had organic mortars at PL level. That's a Coy or even Bn asset. Maybe they mean an MFC (Mortar Fire Controller, as opposed to the FMC - Fuckin Mad Cunt).
    Hmm, I've seen it mentioned a few times that there's a guy with a 51mm mortar in each platoon, but that its role is being phased out by the 40mm underslung grenade launchers on SA80.

Thanks for the other info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Has your post lead to the advert for these people?

http://www.silynxcom.com/
    No, I'm trying to keep it to kit that's actually used by the British Army.
    Last edited by Nerfherder; January 15th, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Hmm, I've seen it mentioned a few times that there's a guy with a 51mm mortar in each platoon, but that its role is being phased out by the 40mm underslung grenade launchers on L85.
    I'm pretty sure Brits have had 203s for a while now. I worked with some in '06 who had them (though on M4s).

And the thing about the 51mm mortar, light as it is, is that it's an indirect fire weapon whereas the 203 is direct fire. Their roles are far too different for one to replace the other.

Though I think the Brits, like us, used to use the M79 wombat gun, which fired the same 40mm bombs. We've still got them and might take them out for a yippee shoot but there's no need for a soldier to carry an M79 plus his personal weapon on operations when there's enough 203s for every section to have 2 of them. If us and the Yanks can afford them I'm sure the Brits can.