Page 6 of 212 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242556106 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions we could google the answers for, but we'd prefer to see what other CM'ers think first.

Sign me up for a pink tutu! hafrogman's Avatar
    Province
    Mesa, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe_Ridcully View Post
    What is the average airspeed of an unladen swallow? (European or otherwise?)
    Alas, the answer is far too complex for me to convey from memory, but when you get the chance, I recommend you do google it. There's a website out there that makes a complete breakdown of swallow flight mechanics, wing beats per minute, gliding speed, etc.
    Yay! Signatures are fixed!

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglowingcandles View Post
    Mother Fucker and Father Christmas
    123 Main St
    Your Town, USA 12345
    You forgot the honorifics.
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Province
    South Carolina
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I remember a Miss Manners column from back in the day, in which she recommended that the address lines be separated, to wit:

Ms. Jane Doe
    Mr. John Smith
    123 Somewhere Place
    Anytown, USA
    This is actually what I do for couples who have different last names and no kids, but usually when I address a Christmas card to folks who have kids I'll write "Insertlastname Family". I only have one couple on my Christmas card list who are married with different last names and have children. I end up addressing it as "Smith Family" anyway even though the wife is Mrs. Jane Doe. I just wonder if that's the right way to do it.
    "Amber is about to Detect Magic on your butt" - Hypersmurf

"Alenda is far more evil than me. She's 87% evil, and I'm only 63.5% evil." -- Goblin Girl

"Your evil is so... charming..." -- barsoomcore

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Alendalujah View Post
    I just wonder if that's the right way to do it.
    Dr. Jane Doe is better.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Sign me up for a pink tutu! hafrogman's Avatar
    Province
    Mesa, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I end up addressing it as "Smith Family" anyway even though the wife is Mrs. Jane Doe. I just wonder if that's the right way to do it.
    I guess it depends if the kids are Smiths, Does or Smithhyphendoes. If three share a last name, I'd use that one, if the kids are hyphens I'd go with the Hyphen family.

On a side note, is it bad that I used to think certain kids at my church should grow up and get married so their kids could have four names?

Funte-Reinhardt-Melcher-Post
    Yay! Signatures are fixed!

This is actually what I do for couples who have different last names and no kids, but usually when I address a Christmas card to folks who have kids I'll write "Insertlastname Family". I only have one couple on my Christmas card list who are married with different last names and have children. I end up addressing it as "Smith Family" anyway even though the wife is Mrs. Jane Doe. I just wonder if that's the right way to do it.
    Huh? Why are you quoting me according to the attribution?

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    we quote you so the rest of CM can see your posts.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    South Carolina
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I don't know! I'm sure it was a copy-paste error brought on by my lack of breakfast and general frustration while trying to make a pretty header for my latest Web site. Or else, you're a very clever ventriloquist...

Also, getting back to my question: there is no hyphen in the last name of the couple and their children have the husband's last name, so I think I'm OK. If not, Miss Manners will come beating down my door, I'm sure.
    "Amber is about to Detect Magic on your butt" - Hypersmurf

"Alenda is far more evil than me. She's 87% evil, and I'm only 63.5% evil." -- Goblin Girl

"Your evil is so... charming..." -- barsoomcore

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I don't know! I'm sure it was a copy-paste error brought on by my lack of breakfast and general frustration while trying to make a pretty header for my latest Web site. Or else, you're a very clever ventriloquist...

Also, getting back to my question: there is no hyphen in the last name of the couple and their children have the husband's last name, so I think I'm OK. If not, Miss Manners will come beating down my door, I'm sure.
    It's the Ovinomancer family.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    If not, Miss Manners will come beating down my door, I'm sure.
    No, not for the likes of you.

She has ninjas for that sort of thing.

Spoiler:

--
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Quote Originally Posted by diaglowingcandles View Post
    we quote you so the rest of CM can see your posts.
    Oh, snap!

Mr. Ephraim Kishon
    I love his stories!

Province
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    How does one tell the difference between a lime and a lemon? We got some fresh lemons and limes from a friend, and aside from some that are obviously lemons as they are yellow all over, there are a bunch which are all sort of yellowish-green. So, without cutting them open and actually tasting them, is there a way to tell the difference?

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
    How does one tell the difference between a lime and a lemon? We got some fresh lemons and limes from a friend, and aside from some that are obviously lemons as they are yellow all over, there are a bunch which are all sort of yellowish-green. So, without cutting them open and actually tasting them, is there a way to tell the difference?
    If you nick the peel a little bit with your fingernail, without puncturing it all the way through, you should be able to tell by the "zest" smell released. There is a noticeable difference in the way a lemon peel and a lime peel smell.
    --
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
    Lemons don't run well and limeys talk funny.
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

• Page 6 of 212 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242556106 ... LastLast