Thread: Questions we could google the answers for, but we'd prefer to see what other CM'ers think first.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stebbins View Post
    The way in which the molecular structure crystallizes is pretty rare. It is one of a very short list (and the only one I can remember) of materials which expands when it freezes.
    Dihydrogen Monoxide does this and is an extremely dangerous chemical as well. Just do a search here on CM to find when we last discussed it and what we as repsonsible Americans needed to do to combat it's pervasiveness.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    If you say "Bock" loudly, like "Baaahhhk", you kind of sound like a goat.

Is Bock the German word for goat? I don't know.
    A male goat, I think.

Or whatever this is: (Do not read if you don't want google results. )
    Spoiler:

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    Fruit = seed(s) on the inside (or at least that's what I was told at some point in my life and I decided to take it as canon). Of course that makes tomatoes, eggplant and peppers "fruits", among others that normally don't get classified that way.

Ultimately I think it boils down to perception.
    Just so long as you keep in mind that ketchup is a vegetable, citizen.

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycorys View Post
    edit: BTW, there's some great vintage Bock Beer art out there.
    Yues there is.

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My wife (Lyonesse here on CM) asks: why does salt melt ice?

I used to know the answer to that, and was about to Google it to refresh my memory, but instead...
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Lieutenant Dummy Stupid-Butt Ftumch's Avatar
    Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by madcockroach View Post

I used to know the answer to that, and was about to Google it to refresh my memory, but instead...
    It lowers the freezing point of water.

Or were you looking for something more detailed?

ΔTf = Kf ∑ mB
    Last edited by Ftumch; February 8th, 2010 at 04:54 PM.
    ---In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User

Because the freezing point of a NaCl solution in water is about 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

So once it gets cold enough, salt won't help.

Larry Sanders 2016!

Salt doesn't melt ice, so much as lower the freezing point of the water. Anything that dissolves into water would have the same effect. Roads get salted to prevent water (or more water) from freezing onto them in the first place, or from refreezing after the warm part of the day.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozer the Gozerian View Post
    It lowers the freezing point of water.

Or were you looking for something more detailed?

ΔTf = Kf ∑ mB
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamari Face View Post
    Because the freezing point of a NaCl solution in water is about 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

So once it gets cold enough, salt won't help.
    OK, she asks, does salt thrown into boiling water make it boil faster? If so or not, why?
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Lieutenant Dummy Stupid-Butt Ftumch's Avatar
    Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    OK, she asks, does salt thrown into boiling water make it boil faster? If so or not, why?
    Nope.

It raises the boiling point.

Both are due to what are known as colligative properties.

The "boiling point" is the equilibrium between the liquid & gaseous phases. Adding a solute (salt) to the pure solvent (water) hinders the molecules leaving the system (boiling off into steam) so more energy is required (raising the temperature) to achieve the same equilibrium.
    Last edited by Ftumch; February 8th, 2010 at 05:06 PM.
    ---In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.

Is Tia Carrere Chinese, Mexican, Japanese, Hawaiian, white, black, or what?

I mean, in the past two days, I've seen/heard her in at least three movies/animated features, in which she was one, the other, or the other other, and now I'm all kinds of confused.

Well she did speak Mandarin Chinese in Wayne's World...so obviously that means she has some part Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarion'sCousin View Post
    Are poisonous snakes immune to their own poison?
    I believe most if not all, are. Scorpions, on the other hand, I think are quite vulnerable to their own toxin. I think it's venoms generated close to the head that are safer to the host and claws and tails not so much. I am not sure if the platypus follows this made up rule or not. I mean, concrete indisputable rule.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So how does the salt combine with frozen water? if they're both solid, why are they interacting?

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User

Actually it doesn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Salt doesn't melt ice, so much as lower the freezing point of the water. Anything that dissolves into water would have the same effect. Roads get salted to prevent water (or more water) from freezing onto them in the first place, or from refreezing after the warm part of the day.
    Damnit! Beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    So how does the salt combine with frozen water? if they're both solid, why are they interacting?
    I bolded the relevant portion of AD's quote there.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycorys View Post
    There's some great vintage Bock Beer art out there. My avatar is a new retro rendition of said form.

not anymore!

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    Is this a serious question?

As long as a non-trivial amount of substance at a temperature above absolute zero, there are bound to be a few molecules of that substance undergoing phase transitions.

So even on a block of pure water ice at sub-freezing temperatures, on the surface in particular, there will be a few molecules of it melting and refreezing. Some of these will come into contact with salt (in this example), and then fail to re-freeze. This liquid-state water will more easily transport heat to other ice crystals, and these too will melt. If those newly melting crystals also come into contact with salt particles, then the process cascades from there.

All temperature is, is a measurement of the mean kinetic energy of a sample of some substance*. The actual distribution of energies is smeared out along a wide range.

If this were not the case, then it would not be possible to cool hot coffee/tea/soup by blowing on it. (That works because you are imparting kinetic energy to the more energetic vapor particles, dispersing them before they can bounce back into the liquid. This lowers the mean temperature/kinetic energy of the remaining liquid.) The nucleation events that lead to crystal formation would be impossible too.

For the math and science behind this, look into statistical mechanics and thermodynamics.

* I think there is a more complicated quantum-mechanical explanation of temperature that I don't understand which involves population inversions. I guess this means the lasing medium of a pumped laser has negative temperature? Like I said, I don't understand it. Nevertheless the statistical mechanical explanation continues to be applicable at the molecular scale. I believe the groundbreaking work on this was done by Boltzmann.
    Last edited by Calamari Face; February 9th, 2010 at 04:44 AM.

Larry Sanders 2016!

• Page 20 of 212 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383970120 ... LastLast