Thread: Questions we could google the answers for, but we'd prefer to see what other CM'ers think first.

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozer the Gozerian View Post
    As we speak, Obama's private army is on it's way to your house to revoke your liberal card.
    Shit, mang, I suspect his private army will be about as effective at finding me as his Senate supermajority was in moving his agenda. Color me NOT worried.

As to lighting, well, I just can't hang with the fluorescent bulbs. Give me GE Reveals, or give me death!
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Lieutenant Dummy Stupid-Butt Ftumch's Avatar
    Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Was WoTC publicly traded when Hasbro purchased the company?

Quote Originally Posted by madwerebit View Post
    As to lighting, well, I just can't hang with the fluorescent bulbs. Give me GE Reveals, or give me death!
    Well I guess you can just claim that you're concerned about mercury poisoning in chinese light bulb workers. That might help get you some cred back...
    Last edited by Ftumch; February 2nd, 2010 at 04:08 AM.
    ---In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.

life is like a mop COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Dacke's Avatar
    Province
    Lund, Sweden
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Was WoTC publicly traded when Hasbro purchased the company?
    No. I recall seeing an interview with Peter Adkison where he said something along the lines of "The WOTC shareholders had seen their shares increase in value to a very high point, and wanted some way of realizing that profit, especially with the whole Pokemon thing going on. My options were basically going public, or selling the company to someone bigger."

Lieutenant Dummy Stupid-Butt Ftumch's Avatar
    Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacke View Post
    No. I recall seeing an interview with Peter Adkison where he said something along the lines of "The WOTC shareholders had seen their shares increase in value to a very high point, and wanted some way of realizing that profit, especially with the whole Pokemon thing going on. My options were basically going public, or selling the company to someone bigger."
    Yeah I looked it up right after I asked. lol

So in effect we get to blame Adkison for both saving D&D...and for cementing it's doom.

Cool.
    ---In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well I guess you can just claim that you're concerned about mercury poisoning in chinese light bulb workers. That might help get you some cred back...
    Fuck China. Aren't they our sworn enemy now, Yellow Peril and all that, since we essentially owe them our future several times over? Or something like that? Dunno. I can't keep track of the shit my teabagger neighbor spews at me these days.

So in effect we get to blame Adkison for both saving D&D...and for cementing it's doom.

Cool.
    One could also say the same about Adkison and GenCon/SW Extravaganza a year or two ago.
    --
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Quote Originally Posted by madwerebit View Post
    Fuck China. Aren't they our sworn enemy now? Dunno. I can't keep track of the shit my teabagger neighbor spews at me these days.

Your neighbor's great-great-grandmother fucked coolies for fun and profit.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    Your neighbor's great-great-grandmother fucked coolies for fun and profit.
    --
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Why is the foot long variety of a measuring stick called a "ruler"?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    the size of the king of france's foot. he was the ruler.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    Actually, I thought it was the English king's foot...

"One Foot to rule them all / One Foot to line them / One Foot to bring them all and set standards to guide them / In the Land of England, where the pudding-eaters lie ..."
    --
    --
    -- Christopher Marlowe,

Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madcockroach View Post
    Actually, I thought it was the English king's foot...

"One Foot to rule them all / One Foot to line them / One Foot to bring them all and set standards to guide them / In the Land of England, where the pudding-eaters lie ..."
    I also thought the "foot" was based on the King of England's foot. Don't know why I didn't make the leap to "ruler". Duh.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, NŁrburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It's from the Anglo-Saxon word "rule", meaning a straight edge.
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    It's from the Anglo-Saxon word "rule", meaning a straight edge.
    So is the word "ruler", as in the head of a country, and the word "rule", as in a guiding principle for a game, also derived from the same Anglo-Saxon root? If so, how is each related to a "straight edge"?

I have some ideas, but I'm not sure, so that's why I'm asking.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So is the word "ruler", as in the head of a country, and the word "rule", as in a guiding principle for a game, also derived from the same Anglo-Saxon root?
    No, they are from the latin which is coincidentaly spelled similar.
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    P.S. I assume people are expecting made-up answers to these questions, and that if they want the real answers, they will actually check google...

• Page 17 of 212 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353667117 ... LastLast