Thread: Questions we could google the answers for, but we'd prefer to see what other CM'ers think first.

Does the consumption of large quantities of yams increase a woman's chance of having twins?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Alenda View Post
    Really? Both my parents started off as MPs in the Marines. I don't think anyone ever mistook them for cops after they got out of that line of work, though. My dad is just too darn sweet to have been a cop.
    My dad is 6'4" and still just somehow exudes authority. Works out well in his job as a general manager now!

How important is it for a car's oil system to be flushed periodically, and if one's service department stops offering that, does that mean it's time to find a new mechanic?

Lieutenant Dummy Stupid-Butt Ftumch's Avatar
    Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby Goblin View Post
    How important is it for a car's oil system to be flushed periodically, and if one's service department stops offering that, does that mean it's time to find a new mechanic?
    By "flush" do you mean a regular oil change or one of the newfangled deals where they hook a pump up & force high pressure solvents through the system?
    ---In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gozer the Gozerian View Post
    By "flush" do you mean a regular oil change or one of the newfangled deals where they hook a pump up & force high pressure solvents through the system?
    The latter. I know regular oil changes are essential. The Saturn dealer used to do that to my car, but they're gone now, and the GM dealer where all the service staff and the database were moved does not offer the service. Since I need this car to last at least another 5 years, I'm wondering if I should take it somewhere else to have this done.

used up and tossed aside Niannorth's Avatar
    Province
    The Kingdom of Northumbria, older than Scotland until they took our lands.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    If you do the changes your self, buy a can of engine flush, put it in the oil and follow the instructions. Then keeping the old filter in place change the oil for the cheapest oil you can get. Run the engine for about 20 minutes then change the oil and filter again this time using good oil.
    "The flowers smell sweeter the closer you are to the grave."

"Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so to refer to people." J.R.R.T

Stage Name: Jackie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Nerfherder's Avatar
    Province
    Nordschleife, Nürburgring
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'd never heard of "oil flushing" before this thread, so I googled it (yeah, I know the title of the thread!). Sounds like it's not necessary if your engine isn't currently suffering any problems, and can cause problems. I've certainly never seen it in a car manual, or mentioned in the manufacturer's recommended service schedule.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
    Do I need a flushing oil?
    Unless there's something seriously wrong with your engine, like you've filled it with milk or shampoo, you really ought never to need a flushing oil. If you're transitioning from a mineral oil to a synthetic oil, likewise you probably don't need to flush the engine first.
    If you do decide to do an oil flush, first drain your engine of all it's oil, but leave the old oil filter in place. Next fill it up with flushing oil and run it at a fast idle for about 20 minutes. Finally, drain all this off (and marvel at the crap that comes out with it), replace the oil filter, refill with a good synthetic oil and voila! Clean engine.
    Of course, like most things nowadays, there's a condition attached when using flushing oils. In an old engine you really don't want to remove all the deposits. Some of these deposits help seal rings, lifters and even some of the flanges between the heads, covers, pan and the block, where the gaskets are thin. I have heard of engines with over 280,000km that worked fine, but when flushed it failed in a month because the blow-by past the scraper ring (now really clean) contaminated the oil and screwed the rod bearings.
    Last edited by Nerfherder; January 19th, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Lieutenant Dummy Stupid-Butt Ftumch's Avatar
    Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Sounds like it's not necessary if your engine isn't currently suffering any problems, and can cause problems.
    It's essentially a scam.

The fact that your mechanic doesn't do it is a GOOD thing...the fact that he once did is what should concern you.
    Last edited by Ftumch; January 19th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.
    ---In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.

I've only flushed out the oil when switching between regular and synthetic oil. So once.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    I've only flushed out the oil when switching between regular and synthetic oil. So once.
    when i was younger i would flush with a little bit of diesel fuel. but my cars were old and i was fucking around. no need to say they didn't have computer chips.

i wouldn't do it now or with anything made after 1987.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    when i was younger i would flush with a little bit of diesel fuel. but my cars were old and i was fucking around. no need to say they didn't have computer chips starter motors.
    fifdiaglo
    Robin Williams: "In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say, 'Stop, or I'll say stop again.'"

PWD: "you're the seed, the relationship is the soil, and the love and attention and work you put into the relationship is the sun and the rain that feeds it. What grows from that is what you always were meant to become."

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    fifdiaglo
    starter was under the clutch.

1948 Studebaker Champion businessmang's coupe candy apple red 3 on the tree straight six reverse ground
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    starter was under the clutch.

1948 Studebaker Champion businessmang's coupe candy apple red 3 on the tree straight six reverse ground
    The One True Car?

Wait - I don't remember you giving me a lift in that

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The One True Car?

Wait - I don't remember you giving me a lift in that
    that was back in maryland. i had that car at my parents house until 2006 when we finally sold it.

36235 total miles

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Scenthounds as a group can smell one- to ten-million times more acutely than a human, and Bloodhounds, which have the keenest sense of smell of any dogs[citation needed], have noses ten- to one-hundred-million times more sensitive than a human's.
    So if dogs' noses are 6 to 7 orders of magnitude more sensitive than humans', WHY THE (*(**&^$#^$%%& DO THEY HAVE TO STICK THEIR NOSES IN ONE'S CROTCH TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT SMELLS LIKE?

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

• Page 14 of 212 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323364114 ... LastLast