Thread: Questions we could google the answers for, but we'd prefer to see what other CM'ers think first.

Are there any English speaking religious groups that have alternative names for the days of the week because they oppose the use of Pagan dieties' names for that purpose?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    Are there any English speaking religious groups that have alternative names for the days of the week because they oppose the use of Pagan dieties' names for that purpose?
    That's a really interesting question. I don't know the answer, so I'd have to google for it. But my guess is that there is at least one such group.

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby Goblin View Post
    That's a really interesting question. I don't know the answer, so I'd have to google for it. But my guess is that there is at least one such group.
    I'm going to hold off Googling it cuz, you know, that would just be too easy.

Another question:

Is it illegal to claim that you are an attorney if you are not? I'm not talking about fraudulently practicing law. I know that's illegal and Notarios, et al. do it all the time. I'm just talking about fraudulently representing oneself as an attorney. If so, what would the charge be if caught?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Is it illegal to claim that you are an attorney if you are not? I'm not talking about fraudulently practicing law. I know that's illegal and Notarios, et al. do it all the time. I'm just talking about fraudulently representing oneself as an attorney. If so, what would the charge be if caught?
    I don't think you can be charged with anything unless you actually attempt to practice law or legal counseling. And then, I know you can be nailed with all kinds of fines and prosecution for practicing without a license.

But you can *claim* anything, I think, and not be prosecuted for it, with the possible exception, maybe, of claiming to be a police officer.
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Quote Originally Posted by madwerebit View Post
    But you can *claim* anything, I think, and not be prosecuted for it, with the possible exception, maybe, of claiming to be a police officer.
    That's good. I don't claim to be a doctor, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by madwerebit View Post
    I don't think you can be charged with anything unless you actually attempt to practice law or legal counseling. And then, I know you can be nailed with all kinds of fines and prosecution for practicing without a license.
    On the other hand, if you don't claim to be licensed and are open and up front about it, there are all kinds of things you can simply do

Lieutenant Dummy Stupid-Butt Ftumch's Avatar
    Province
    The corner barstool
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Another question:

If you're going clubbing & looking to impress skip the lawyer schtick, instead you should tell the ladies you're a fighter pilot.
    ---In real life, vampires only sparkle when they're on fire.

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm just talking about fraudulently representing oneself as an attorney. If so, what would the charge be if caught?
    Last I checked, there's no legal repercussion for impersonating an asshole.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycorys View Post
    Last I checked, there's no legal repercussion for impersonating an asshole.
    but you could bet more play at a gay bar.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

I get mistaken for an attorney all the time. I'm often sitting in the room where there will soon be multiple attorneys and somebody walks in and says, "Are you one of the attorneys?"

My stock response is "I've been called lots of awful things before, but no I'm not an attorney." The we laugh and laugh! Or sometimes just chuckle. In point of fact the majority of attorneys I work with are really nice folks.

Interestingly, due to my line of work, I could probably impersonate a variety of doctors, especially orthopeaditsts, in a casual conversation at a bar. Even though I watch too much Military Channel, I'd have doubts about my ability to impersonate a fighter pilot. I'm no Dr. Chat.
    www.scottmoorecoaching.com

The next CAMP NCGD is on April 27-May1, 2017.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rel View Post
    I get mistaken for an attorney all the time.
    we all can vouch for the fact that Rel looks like a big ole penis.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Quote Originally Posted by Rel View Post
    I get mistaken for an attorney all the time. Interestingly, due to my line of work, I could probably impersonate a variety of doctors, especially orthopeaditsts, in a casual conversation at a bar. Even though I watch too much Military Channel, I'd have doubts about my ability to impersonate a fighter pilot. I'm no Dr. Chat.
    Next thing you know Tom Hanks will be stalking you.

Ever since I cut my curly locks about 15 years ago, and maintain a very short haircut, I get mistaken for a cop all the time. Mostly it works in my favor.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    we all can vouch for the fact that Rel looks like a big ole penis.
    A well dressed big ole penis, thankyouverymuch!
    www.scottmoorecoaching.com

The next CAMP NCGD is on April 27-May1, 2017.

Ever since I cut my curly locks about 15 years ago, and maintain a very short haircut, I get mistaken for a cop all the time. Mostly it works in my favor.
    Heheh. My dad was an MP for 20 years. He still has "that look" and people always think he's a cop. And yeah, I'm sure he doesn't mind at all.

Province
    South Carolina
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    Heheh. My dad was an MP for 20 years. He still has "that look" and people always think he's a cop. And yeah, I'm sure he doesn't mind at all.
    Really? Both my parents started off as MPs in the Marines. I don't think anyone ever mistook them for cops after they got out of that line of work, though. My dad is just too darn sweet to have been a cop.
    "Amber is about to Detect Magic on your butt" - Hypersmurf

"Alenda is far more evil than me. She's 87% evil, and I'm only 63.5% evil." -- Goblin Girl

"Your evil is so... charming..." -- barsoomcore

• Page 13 of 212 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313263113 ... LastLast