Thread: Questions we could google the answers for, but we'd prefer to see what other CM'ers think first.

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle on loki44th Street View Post
    This leads to two more Google-type questions: Is there ammonia in urine, and is ammonia used to set dyes?
    Yes, clearly there is. Have you ever smelled a baby's wet diaper that had gone unchanged too long?

And yes, ammonia is a bleaching agent as well, and could be used to set dyes. Of course, all kinds of things can be used as mordants. It's pretty interesting stuff. For instance, let's take about 6 pounds of red onion skins. Divide into three piles. Boil each with some clean, raw wool. To one pot you add alum, to another, ammonia, and to the third add salt (non-iodized). You'll get three different colors of wool!

life is like a mop COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Dacke's Avatar
    Province
    Lund, Sweden
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinoprancer View Post
    I do know that urine is highly anaseptic, and that cattle urine was collected in scandanvian countries and used to wash wounds.
    First I heard of it (which doesn't mean it isn't true), but I'm told that in Days of Yore, when Sweden was a second-tier power in Europe, the ground under all stables was considered property of the Crown, in order to "harvest" the urine. This was then used in the production of gunpowder.

What is the average shelf life of beaujolais nouveau? I know it shouldn't sit around long, but how long is acceptable?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    What is the average shelf life of beaujolais nouveau? I know it shouldn't sit around long, but how long is acceptable?
    drink within a few hours of opening the bottle.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    drink within a few hours of opening the bottle.
    Yep.

And if you mean unopened, a Beaujolais shouldn't sit on a shelf more than a year past its bottling, or else it tastes like shit.

Then again, there are some who might argue that even fresh, it already tastes like shit, and don't get the whole Beaujolais phenom.
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Quote Originally Posted by madwerebit View Post
    And if you mean unopened, a Beaujolais shouldn't sit on a shelf more than a year past its bottling, or else it tastes like shit.

Then again, there are some who might argue that even fresh, it already tastes like shit, and don't get the whole Beaujolais phenom.
    I meant unopened. Got a couple bottles from the 2009 crop as gifts over the holidays. Guess I need to uncork 'em and see if I think they taste like shit or not.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

I don't think Beaujolais tastes like shit, but it gives me such a horrible hangover that it's just not worth it.

Province
    Where it's hot.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    I meant unopened. Got a couple bottles from the 2009 crop as gifts over the holidays. Guess I need to uncork 'em and see if I think they taste like shit or not.
    2009 is the best year I've tasted. I opened a bottle this past weekend and it was still yummy.
    There are no uninteresting things, only uninterested people. ~G.K. Chesterton

Province
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Piglet View Post
    2009 is the best year I've tasted. I opened a bottle this past weekend and it was still yummy.
    I tried it for the first time this year and really liked it.

When is enough enough?
    "This shit happens to me all the time at pizza places. I'm like, 'GIVE ME A PIZZA!' And they're all, 'What size, and what toppings would you like?' And I'm all 'WHATEVER THE FUCKING NORMAL PIZZA SIZE AND TOPPINGS ARE!'" -Nareau "Encounter in a Subway"

"The wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. So while I was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun."-Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time

"'Greater good'? I am your wife! I am the greatest good you are ever gonna get." -The Incredibles

Sign me up for a pink tutu! hafrogman's Avatar
    Province
    Mesa, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Priss View Post
    When is enough enough?
    Enough is a enough roughly three seconds BEFORE you realize that enough is too much.
    Yay! Signatures are fixed!

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    When is enough enough?
    "With a Spuddie, enough just isn't enough!"
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

When is enough enough?
    When it crosses that line.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    When is enough enough?
    With Ovi? Always.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    When is enough enough?
    8 is enough.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

• Page 12 of 212 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303162112 ... LastLast