Thread: Questions we could google the answers for, but we'd prefer to see what other CM'ers think first.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by madweindeer View Post
    His chambermaid is late with the urine to come wash it out.

Also, as I recall, the urine was also often collected by dyers, as it was a key ingredient to getting the dye to set in fabric.
    I think tanners used it also.

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle on loki44th Street View Post
    Did you write your dissertation on Chamber Pots Through the Ages or something?
    Nah.

I find everyday life more interesting than battles and what-not, so I paid attention to that sort of stuff in my history, art history, and anthropology classes.
    "This shit happens to me all the time at pizza places. I'm like, 'GIVE ME A PIZZA!' And they're all, 'What size, and what toppings would you like?' And I'm all 'WHATEVER THE FUCKING NORMAL PIZZA SIZE AND TOPPINGS ARE!'" -Nareau "Encounter in a Subway"

"The wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. So while I was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun."-Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time

"'Greater good'? I am your wife! I am the greatest good you are ever gonna get." -The Incredibles

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    This leads to two more Google-type questions: Is there ammonia in urine, and is ammonia used to set dyes?
    My wife, a fabric kinda gal, says that the uric acid acts as a binding agent to pull the dye into the fabric.
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    This leads to two more Google-type questions: Is there ammonia in urine, and is ammonia used to set dyes?
    Yes and no. Ammonia isn't in healthy urine, but urea is, and urea breaks down into ammonia (maybe when exposed to air?). So no, there isn't, unless you let it sit around and then yes, there is. Whether or not it's used for dyes I have no idea.

I do know that urine is highly anaseptic, and that cattle urine was collected in scandanvian countries and used to wash wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinoprancer View Post
    I do know that urine is highly anaseptic, and that cattle urine was collected in scandanvian countries and used to wash wounds.
    Really? When did they do that?
    "This shit happens to me all the time at pizza places. I'm like, 'GIVE ME A PIZZA!' And they're all, 'What size, and what toppings would you like?' And I'm all 'WHATEVER THE FUCKING NORMAL PIZZA SIZE AND TOPPINGS ARE!'" -Nareau "Encounter in a Subway"

"The wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. So while I was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun."-Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time

"'Greater good'? I am your wife! I am the greatest good you are ever gonna get." -The Incredibles

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yes and no. Ammonia isn't in healthy urine, but urea is, and urea breaks down into ammonia (maybe when exposed to air?). So no, there isn't, unless you let it sit around and then yes, there is. Whether or not it's used for dyes I have no idea.

urine is sterile.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Quote Originally Posted by diaglowingcandles View Post
    urine is sterile.
    I hear that centaur urine is great for flushing wax out of your ears too.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

I do know that urine is highly anaseptic
    urine is sterile.
    My non-google question: What's the difference? Or is it apples/oranges?

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Prisstletoe View Post
    My non-google question: What's the difference? Or is it apples/oranges?
    anaseptic = used to fight off an infection. mostly to clean wounds and such.

sterile = contains no parasites, bacteria, or virus
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

So it can be both, right?

So it can be both, right?
    Based on those definitions I would say that anaseptic substances are inherently sterile, while sterile substances may or may not also be anaseptic.
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

I freakin' love clementines! I have 3 sitting on my desk right now.

To add to that, is a Clementine different from a tangerine, and how come they're usually (or seem to be) only sold around Xmas?
    While they're tangerinelike, I believe clementines are actually related to Mandarin oranges. Their growing season peaks around December so the answer to the second part of your question is fairly obvious.

And why are they twice as expensive as tangerines?
    They have a very short growing season of only a few months, they're more sensitive than tangerines to climate changes, and it's difficult to grow them as seedless wonders because they can't be cross-pollinated with other fruits.

Quote Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
    How does one tell the difference between a lime and a lemon? We got some fresh lemons and limes from a friend, and aside from some that are obviously lemons as they are yellow all over, there are a bunch which are all sort of yellowish-green. So, without cutting them open and actually tasting them, is there a way to tell the difference?
    In many languages there aren't two words that distinguish the fruits. Both get called one thing. For example, in Farsi "limu" refers to both lemons and limes even though they have both fruits in Iran.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Dear CMoogle:

What exactly is kirinke's issue? Standard hick inbred retardation? Brain damage from huffing paint? Home schooling?
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Word Decorations View Post
    Dear CMoogle:

What exactly is kirinke's issue? Standard hick inbred retardation? Brain damage from huffing paint? Home schooling?
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with getting into some wrong shepherd's pie when she was a kid.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Also, as I recall, the urine was also often collected by dyers, as it was a key ingredient to getting the dye to set in fabric.
    Yes, urea is used as a mordant. Also I've been told that it acts as a bleaching agent on leather, but I've never tried it.

• Page 11 of 212 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293061111 ... LastLast