Thread: Questions we could google the answers for, but we'd prefer to see what other CM'ers think first.

Province
    The Rose City, Pacific NW USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynosure View Post
    Isn't that Sharon Osbourne, i.e. Ozzy's wife?
    No. That's Amy Poehler.
    "d00d,
    most people are idiots"
    --diaglo

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarion'sCousin View Post
    A "slut" is someone who will fuck anyone.
    A "bitch" is someone who will fuck anyone except you.

Here's the third image on a moderately safe GIS for that topic:
    Ah no. A slut is someone who will fuck anyone.
    A bitch is someone who might fuck you, but then laugh at your performance and gossip about it to her other fuck-buddies.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Quote Originally Posted by The It's Man View Post
    Yes, with line-height

Example:
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    body {line-height: 200%}
    </style>
    You could also use px or cm instead of the %;
    IIRC % is not in relation to standard line height but to the size of the font.
    OHO!

Man, I need a new HTML book. The one I have and the stuff I can find on the net is becoming increasingly useless for nice site design. I guess I need a design book. I only recently found a site that let me know I could use font % size in CSS, AND that the trick of using your mouse scroll bar to change the size of things didn't work on px, but worked just fine with % or ems. Now I have a site that scales huge or unreadably tiny. Too cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup the Christmas Goblin View Post
    Why does my dog get gunk in the corner of his eyes?
    Are we talking the whitish goop in the corner of the eye itself, or the crusted eyecrud under or about the eye?

The goop can be cause by a blocked tear duct; thankfully Molly loves to have her eyes 'groomed', so I can hold her head still and look for a hair or such that has gotten stuck in there and gently pull it free.

Rapidly drying eyecrud crusting under the eye, I've found usually comes about from a draft or excessive dust around their sleeping area. My chihuahua used to get it pretty bad, then it cleared up when I moved her bedding. Just as a hunch I laid down with my head on the floor back near her old place and there was a draft that would come along the floor at that level, that we never noticed.

Were chamber pots used exclusively for peeing into, or did people also release their bowels into them? Did they have male and female versions? Why didn't they make them taller? Were you expected to hold the chamber pot while taking a whizz? How far from the living quarters was it appropriate to empty them? Did they dump them in one place, or spread it around?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle on loki44th Street View Post
    Were chamber pots used exclusively for peeing into, or did people also release their bowels into them? Did they have male and female versions? Why didn't they make them taller? Were you expected to hold the chamber pot while taking a whizz? How far from the living quarters was it appropriate to empty them? Did they dump them in one place, or spread it around?
    The answers depend on the culture and the era.
    "This shit happens to me all the time at pizza places. I'm like, 'GIVE ME A PIZZA!' And they're all, 'What size, and what toppings would you like?' And I'm all 'WHATEVER THE FUCKING NORMAL PIZZA SIZE AND TOPPINGS ARE!'" -Nareau "Encounter in a Subway"

"The wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. So while I was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun."-Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time

"'Greater good'? I am your wife! I am the greatest good you are ever gonna get." -The Incredibles

Sign me up for a pink tutu! hafrogman's Avatar
    Province
    Mesa, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Were chamber pots used exclusively for peeing into, or did people also release their bowels into them?
    Both, chambermaids would collect the urine from multiple pots and use it to wash any solids from the other bowls.
    Did they have male and female versions?
    No clue. Doubt it.
    Why didn't they make them taller?
    So they could fit under the beds?
    Were you expected to hold the chamber pot while taking a whizz?
    I doubt it, I expect you were just supposed to squat over it.
    How far from the living quarters was it appropriate to empty them?
    Out the window, or against the wall of the house. Not far, in other words. See: dysentary.
    Did they dump them in one place, or spread it around?
    One place. The midden heap, yes?
    Yay! Signatures are fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Prisstletoe View Post
    The answers depend on the culture and the era.
    I guess I was being mostly Eurocentric in my thinking, probably anywhere between the 13th and 18th centuries.

Does that narrow it down enough?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Sign me up for a pink tutu! hafrogman's Avatar
    Province
    Mesa, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I guess I was being mostly Eurocentric in my thinking, probably anywhere between the 13th and 18th centuries.

I guess I should state for the sake of accuracy that while I'm pretty sure most of my answers were correct, they did not neccessarily all apply at the same time or the same place. And for the most part I have no clue where or when they did apply. That's what you get without Googling.
    Yay! Signatures are fixed!

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    i don't think you have a pot to piss in.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Quote Originally Posted by diaglowingcandles View Post
    i don't think you have a pot to piss in.
    While yours appears to full of idioms today.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio

Ignore User
    While yours appears to full of idioms today.
    His chambermaid is late with the urine to come wash it out.

Also, as I recall, the urine was also often collected by dyers, as it was a key ingredient to getting the dye to set in fabric.
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Were chamber pots used exclusively for peeing into, or did people also release their bowels into them?
    Both.

Did they have male and female versions?
    Yes. The female versions (which were sort of gravy boat shaped) are more prevalent in the BC/BCE Roman cultures and then again in the 18th century. A unisex version was far more common, and is usually what people think of when they think of a chamber pot.

Why didn't they make them taller?
    They actually did increase slightly in height, and then they got smaller and flatter again. And they weren't always kept under the bed. Wealthier individuals built closets and cabinets to hold them.

Were you expected to hold the chamber pot while taking a whizz?
    I doubt they were expected to, but they might have. I do know that eventually people built closed up boxes that they'd keep the pot in with a hole on top so they could sit above the pot)--kind of an indoor privy/ precursor to the modern toilet.

How far from the living quarters was it appropriate to empty them?
    hasnowman is right--not far. Usually out the window or out in an alley. Sometimes they'd trek them to an outhouse.

Did they dump them in one place, or spread it around?
    Usually one place.

Anthropologically and archeologically speaking, they've been in almost every culture and time period in some form for, well, ever. I know that when I think of them (if I think of them), I'm with you, though, I think European-- middle ages through enlightenment.
    Last edited by Miss Priss; December 23rd, 2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    "This shit happens to me all the time at pizza places. I'm like, 'GIVE ME A PIZZA!' And they're all, 'What size, and what toppings would you like?' And I'm all 'WHATEVER THE FUCKING NORMAL PIZZA SIZE AND TOPPINGS ARE!'" -Nareau "Encounter in a Subway"

"The wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. So while I was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun."-Terry Pratchett's Thief of Time

"'Greater good'? I am your wife! I am the greatest good you are ever gonna get." -The Incredibles

Quote Originally Posted by hasnowman View Post
    That's what you get without Googling.
    Cheater. EDIT: I read that wrong--- so yeah...carry-on.
    Quote Originally Posted by madweindeer View Post
    Also, as I recall, the urine was also often collected by dyers, as it was a key ingredient to getting the dye to set in fabric.
    I didn't know that, but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hasnowman View Post
    See: dysentary.One place. The midden heap, yes?
    Hmm. I guess shell midden heaps come to my mind first, but I suppose a midden heap is just a huge trash pile that could be found anywhere. Never thought of human waste being added to the other trash.

His chambermaid is late with the urine to come wash it out.
    Is Olive slacking on her duties again d.?

This leads to two more Google-type questions: Is there ammonia in urine, and is ammonia used to set dyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Prisstletoe View Post
    Lots of detailed and insightful info about chamber pots.
    Did you write your dissertation on Chamber Pots Through the Ages or something?
    Plato

Invisible Castle

• Page 10 of 212 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282960110 ... LastLast