Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Alendalujah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Oh, I thought Ricardo and Lash were supposed to edit my summary to include themselves.

Edit: Ninjaed by Hobo!
    Oh! I missed this. Your story gets both Ricardo AND Lash?!

Quote Originally Posted by barsoomcore View Post
    Hyp, can I get some sense of who your character is? What does he/she (?) look like, etc. I don't know what a "changeling" is off the top of my head. Like a doppleganger? Just need something to work with...
    Yeah, a changeling has a Su ability to alter features, and can cross gender boundaries.

Grey has two or three 'established' identities, and a few more 'occasionals' with contacts about the place, but for any new job, there will usually be a new 'disposable' face to go with it.

-Hyp.

Province
    Detroit, yo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinoprancer View Post
    Oh! I missed this. Your story gets both Ricardo AND Lash?!
    Random draw, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyparumpapumpum View Post
    Yeah, a changeling has a Su ability to alter features, and can cross gender boundaries.

Grey has two or three 'established' identities, and a few more 'occasionals' with contacts about the place, but for any new job, there will usually be a new 'disposable' face to go with it.
    Typically they do have a "native" gender that they identify with (at least according to the Races of Eberron book and my likely faulty memory) but they can change their actual gender at will. I think the exception to this is if the're pregnant.

Province
    Detroit, yo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Here's a random Freeport thought. I was skimming through my pdf copy of Cults of Freeport looking for ideas, and I came across a throwaway reference to a ship called the Bustluscious Beauty.

Yes, folks. The Bustluscious Beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ho-ho-hobo! View Post
    Typically they do have a "native" gender that they identify with (at least according to the Races of Eberron book and my likely faulty memory) but they can change their actual gender at will.
    Yeah. Grey probably had a native gender once. Maybe if you ask real nice...

... or maybe not.

I think the exception to this is if the're pregnant.

I got a bad feeling about this.

-Hyp.

Province
    Detroit, yo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I got a bad feeling about this.
    Well, use some protection, you slut!

Swift Zombie! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Alenda's Avatar
    Province
    South Carolina
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Random Freeport Thought: One of my favorite things about Freeport is the "Halfling Benevolent Society" it's like the mafia except a LOT shorter.
    "Amber is about to Detect Magic on your butt" - Hypersmurf

"Alenda is far more evil than me. She's 87% evil, and I'm only 63.5% evil." -- Goblin Girl

"Your evil is so... charming..." -- barsoomcore

Random Freeport Thought: One of my favorite things about Freeport is the "Halfling Benevolent Society" it's like the mafia except a LOT shorter.
    Awww...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo
    I think that means that I'm going to make a bold move and rule that elves, dwarves, gnomes and halflings don't even exist in this world at all.
    The Society might still exist, but it won't be the same...

For the most part, though, individuals of exotic races in Freeport will be replaced with humans. Humans of varying ethnicities, to be sure, but humans nonetheless.
    -Hyp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ho-ho-hobo! View Post
    I think the exception to this is if the're pregnant.
    So you had to stay a girl for nine months after running into Ricardo? No wonder you don't like him.

Updated Carlotta story:

Carlotta makes a tidy profit in the "acquisitions" field... acquiring rare items for high-paying customers. In the past, this involved a little breaking and entering, maybe a little lock picking or safe cracking.

So, when she was asked by a wealthy collector to acquire a rare scroll from the tomb of a recently-deceased scholar, Carlotta thought it would be a cinch. How wrong she was! Apparently, the scholar was also a bit of a dabbler in magic and had carved some funny characters on his tomb that made all hell break loose when she broke into it!

Between the animated tomb statues, the zombified rats, and the creepy old sexton, she was lucky to get out of there with her life... well and with the scroll, of course.

But that was only the start. When Carlotta found out that her own brother had in fact put the collector up to the job, conning him out of house, home and both mistresses in the process, she had no choice but to... uh, what was she going to do again?
    And re-reading the instructions, I realise I'm not supposed to be adding Ricardo to Carlotta's story. So ignore this if that's more fun.
    Last edited by barsoomcore; December 12th, 2009 at 04:00 AM.

Updated Grey's story with Ricardo:

Another Man's Treasure

They say you can truly know a man by his trash. This wisdom is embodied in Freeport's Mistress of Secrets Discarded - Marjorie the Otyugh. Marjorie resides beneath the city dump, sending her wererat minions scuttling throughout Freeport to discover all that is concealed in dusty closets, and all that is whispered in dark corners.

When someone wishes to learn a secret in Mnar, he might visit a diviner, or a temple of Astaroth (or Frezur Blue); when someone wishes to learn a secret in Freeport, he may eventually find himself petitioning Marjorie.

There was a secret Grey desperately needed to learn... and Marjorie set her price. Information for information.

The initial attempt to retrieve the documents Marjorie desired was a complete debacle, owing to the Captain's mistress possessing a birthmark Grey had never had the opportunity to observe planning to betray her old lover and hand his fortune over to her new lover, Ricardo Murcielago, who as it happened was also planning to betray her. Things rapidly became more complicated than Grey could keep track of, and ridiculous amounts of violence inevitably ensued. Barely escaping the fiasco intact, Grey resorted to a plan with fewer opportunities for being fed to the sharks - forging a reasonable facsimile of the documents, with wholly fabricated information contained therein.

The exchange was made, Grey learned the information from the Otyugh, and since Marjorie only ever saw the false face and name Grey presented, escaped retribution entirely. All that is required to keep it that way is to keep a secret indefinitely. From the Mistress of Secrets Discarded. And her limitless horde of snooping wererats.

In hindsight, there might have been a better plan.

And Ricardo's story:

Unbuckled

It wasn't fair.

"Surely that's not your husband?"

Ricardo Murcielago threw an exasperated look at the woman clutching sheets around herself.

"'Off to Mnar,' you said. 'Secret mission,' you said."

She just shook her head. Ricardo tried to remember how far down the street was below the window on this side of the mansion. Possibly too far to jump. He was still considering when the door burst open and a pair of watchmen faced him.

"Lord Xian?"

Ricardo frowned.

"Do I LOOK like a Lord Xian?"

To his surprise, Lady Xian pointed and snarled, "Yes, that's my husband! Take him away!"

"Hubba hubba wha?"

It just wasn't fair. THEY were supposed to be scamming HER. Ricardo shook his head in disbelief of the treachery of some people, refusing to be taken in by a perfectly good con. He didn't waste his breath in discussion, though; the jump through the window had given him a headstart, but these guardsmen were being well-paid to pursue him, that was obvious.
    Last edited by barsoomcore; December 12th, 2009 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barsoomcore View Post
    It just wasn't fair. THEY were supposed to be scamming HER. Ricardo shook his head in disbelief of the treachery of some people, refusing to be taken in by a perfectly good con. He didn't waste his breath in discussion, though; the jump through the window had given him a headstart, but these guardsmen were being well-paid to pursue him, that was obvious.
    Across the street, Grey exchanged bemused looks with Carlotta as Ricardo toppled from the window, in his sword-belt and one boot and nothing else.

"Where is he... that's not the plan!"

More became clear as the guardsmen burst out of the front door moments later.

"I'll run interference for your brother," Grey told her, taking on Ricardo's voice and rapidly discarding clothing. By the time the last stitch hit the floor, Carlotta found herself face-to-face with her brother in all his naked glory. "It's on you to salvage something from this mess!"

And with that, the false Ricardo burst from the alley to scamper off in the opposite direction to that taken by the original, sowing confusion and chaos into the pursuit...

Quote Originally Posted by barsoomcore
    And re-reading the instructions, I realise I'm not supposed to be adding Ricardo to Carlotta's story.
    I'm confused now.

In the original assignment post, Hobo said:
    On the left is your character name. On the right are the two characters you are assigned. You need to work out how you were involved in the adventure of both of those characters.
    ... which makes it sound like Carlotta's story includes Lemmy and Lash - the two people who have Carlotta among the names to the right of theirs.

Then, in the clarification post, Hobo said:
    She writes her sentence, and then the two folks mentioned in the post write in somehow that they were involved.
    ... where he seems to be agreeing with her that the people who insert themselves are Ricardo and Lash - those to the right of her name.

Now, taken simply, for me it doesn't matter, since I'm associated with Lemmy and Ricardo in both directions. But for everyone else it does. And I had the impression that Ricardo's story included Grey and Carlotta, hence my referencing her in my addition...

The original assignments:
    Lash: Lemmy, Carlotta
    Ricardo: Lash, Grey
    Grey: Ricardo, Lemmy
    Carlotta: Ricardo, Lash
    Lemmy: Carlotta, Grey

Which, I think, means:
    Carlotta's Story + Lash & Lemmy
    Grey's Story + Lemmy & Ricardo
    Lash's Story + Carlotta & Ricardo
    Lemmy's Story + Grey & Lash
    Ricardo's Story + Grey & Carlotta