Thread: Today is the Golden Age of TV

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User

Today is the Golden Age of TV

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Exactly! Even with a natural caveat that 90 percent of everything is crap, that leaves a whle bunch of good shows to see: Mad Men, True Blood, Supernatural, Fringe, Venture Bros, Dexter, Dr. Who, Life on Mars... Expand the list a little throughout this decade and you also get Rome, Carnivale, Deadwood, The Wire, Firefly, Futurama, Battlestar Galactica, Jericho, Veronica Mars... While in the past couple of years I pretty much lost my interest for Hollywood summer movie fare, there's a whole bunch of entertaining TV shows I enjoy watching instead.
    So forked from the V thread. I honestly believe that this is the Golden Age of TV. Like Hobo said, a lot of the stuff we loved in those days, watching them now you need a heart by-pass from the cheese factor alone. There are so many good shows on nowadays that are having good runs I can't keep up.

It's true that tons of it is as crappy as ever, but the good stuff, woah. It's more engaging and quality than most big screen shows.
    Last edited by GreyOne; October 30th, 2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: To clarify I'm talking about the last 5 or so years

Weevil/Ligon COMMUNITY SUPPORTER WayneLigon's Avatar
    Province
    Montgomery, AL
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    I'll concur to some degree. My TV consumption dwindled to almost nothing for many years but now? There's something on almost every single night that I'd like to see.

freaking RIPPED Rodrigo Istalindir's Avatar
    Province
    The Grand Duchy of Rodrigonia
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    The spaghetti theory applies to TV as well. On an absolute basis, yeah, there's probably more good stuff now than before. But on a percentage basis, no way.

The ENNIE Award Winning... kiznit's Avatar
    Province
    Xanadu
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    The industry has changed massively. Budgets are bigger than ever, and more and more "creator-driven" projects have been green-lighted, it's pretty crazy.

Remember six years ago when no movie star would ever deign to appear on TV except in the most over-hyped of cameos?

Now there's so much crossover of TV/movie stars thanks to the fact that they're comparable mediums in terms of production value. The only major difference now is the writing: Film still encapsulates the comprehensive two-hour story arc, while TV is commonly written without even knowing how it's going to end.

Province
    Somewhere wet and muddy.
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    I think it's defintely the golden age of drama, and even of sci-fi, but we've had the golden age of comedy. Python, Fawlty, Blackadder...

The ENNIE Award Winning... kiznit's Avatar
    Province
    Xanadu
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    I think it's defintely the golden age of drama, and even of sci-fi, but we've had the golden age of comedy. Python, Fawlty, Blackadder...
    I'm a fan of Python and Atkinson but honestly, shows like Arrested Development or Sunny in Philadelphia elicit a lot more laughter from me.

Province
    Somewhere wet and muddy.
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kiznit View Post
    I'm a fan of Python and Atkinson but honestly, shows like Arrested Development or Sunny in Philadelphia elicit a lot more laughter from me.
    Never seen 'em.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Your Brit is showing! It's like my Dad muttering: "The only good tv is British tv."
    Last edited by GreyOne; October 30th, 2009 at 02:44 AM.

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Curb Your Enthusiasm is fucking amazing this season. (My nomination for funniest moment in the whole series, though, is an early episode where Richard Lewis and Larry get into an extremely awkward fight in the vestibule of a jewelry store. Physical comedy often doesn't work for me, but that was perfect*.)

It's always been good, but I'm getting at least one hearty laugh-out-loud moment in each episode, every episode this season.

For me, that's like three standard deviations above the mean...even stuff I enjoy a lot usually doesn't elicit much more than chuckles.

* Speaking of, you know who's good at physical comedy? David Boreanaz. I never watched Buffy or Angel, not even a single episode, but in the gag reel from the fourth season of Bones there's a hilarious bit where he knocks over a portrait of the deceased next to the casket in a funeral scene. It's on the DVD/Blu-Ray.
    Last edited by Calamari Face; October 30th, 2009 at 02:46 AM.

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

life is like a mop COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Dacke's Avatar
    Province
    Lund, Sweden
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamari Face View Post
    * Speaking of, you know who's good at physical comedy? David Boreanaz. I never watched Buffy or Angel, not even a single episode, but in the gag reel from the fourth season of Bones there's a hilarious bit where he knocks over a portrait of the deceased next to the casket in a funeral scene. It's on the DVD/Blu-Ray.
    Angel and Buffy didn't leave much room for physical comedy - what comedy there was was more of a witty nature. The only instance I can think of that involved Boreanaz was an early episode where he's at a party thrown by Cordelia and asked to dance. We then see Angel shaking his booty in an extremely silly way on the dance floor for a few seconds, followed by a return to his conversation with the prospective dance partner, where he explains that he doesn't dance.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCYlsFagq_k[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    Your Brit is showing! It's like my Dad muttering: "The only good tv is British tv."
    That's the general attitude among people in my country. We got spoiled throughout last 25 or so years by our TV editors constantly cherry picking some of the best shows from the BBC: "Poirot" (David Suchet is the one true Poirot and all others are pale imitations), "Blackadder", "Only Fools and Horses", "Bean", "Red Dwarf", "Allo Allo", "You Rang, Milord?", "2point4 Children", "The Cracker" and many of the BBC documentaries. On the other hand, throughout the 1990es best things we got from USA were probably "Friends", "Seinfeld", "Twin Peaks" and "X Files" - all fine and neat shows, but that was pretty much it.

But nowdays, I'm far more interested into new TV series coming from the West Coast. This started around the time of "Sopranos" and still continues.

I heard some good stuff about "Arrested Development". The only newer American sitcoms I enjoyed were "Malcolm in the Middle" and "My Name is Earl".

My Name is Earl is very good.
    I also love Scrubs. It is shown regularly on German TV, either as rerun or new episodes, and I enjoy them every time.

I think TV has a lot of good shows, many of them the typical geek/nerd "genre" shows. I actually have to ignore a few because it's just too many to follow them all if I want to do things besides watching TV or DVD.

I find it hard to pinpoint what is done right these days, but - a lot of show do things right. They are entertaining. They have characters I want to watch. They have stories I want to follow.

Province
    The Solar Federation
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    4e sucks big sweaty monkey balls

Province
    Detroit, yo
    Oratio
    vCash

Ignore User
    There's more TV on nowadays that I'd like to watch than I have time to watch.

Also: yeah; scripting has gotten a lot tighter and more engaging, the envelope has really been pushed in terms of what you expect to see on TV, production design and visual effects on TV are often as good as cheaper B-movies at least, and the bar for acting has really been raised (although about that; my wife made the comment last night that Joseph Fiennes seems too "thespian" for his role in Flashforward.)

There's still plenty of crap TV of course, but what's good is good in a way we never would have imagined in, say, the 80s.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast