Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: South Carolina GOP Operative Apologizes for Racist Tweet against Obama

  1. #1
    First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio
    13,771
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User

    South Carolina GOP Operative Apologizes for Racist Tweet against Obama

    The South Carolina Republican Party--or at least its cadre of eager-beaver volunteers--is bringing its A-game lately!

    Quote Originally Posted by TPMDC
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    By Eric Kleefeld - June 15, 2009, 4:17PM

    Indigo Journal, a liberal blog in South Carolina, reports that GOP operative Mike Green posted a racist joke about President Obama on his Twitter account over the weekend -- and in a brief conversation with TPM, Green did not deny it. (Late Update: Green has now admitted it in a new set of Tweets, and apologized. [...])

    Green posted this, then deleted it some time later:

    JUST HEARD OBAMA IS GOING TO IMPOSE A 40% TAX ON ASPIRIN BECAUSE IT'S WHITE AND IT WORKS.
    That post is not currently on Green's actual Twitter page, but Indigo Journal has what purports to be a screenshot, documenting it from when it was still up. I called Green to ask if this was true. "I don't know," said Green. "Let me give you a call back." I also asked Green if anyone else writes on his Twitter account, or if it's just him. Again, he said he would have to call back. He has not yet called back.

    Indigo Journal says that Green works for Congressman Gresham Barrett's campaign for governor. However, Barrett communications consultant Jim Dyke told TPM that while Green's firm, Starboard Communications, might do the odd bit of work for Barrett (who is on the client list), Green does not work for the campaign.

    "I'm happy to make a personal comment about the statement, but he doesn't have a relationship with the campaign," said Dyke. "I have to believe that is something that he would like to take back. It doesn't sound like something that was funny or intelligent or useful. That's my personal opinion."

    Late Update: Green has now apologized in a new set of Tweets:

    First this:
    Correcting misinformation. I am not a Barrett aide, I have never been employed by Barrett nor do I work for him now.
    Then this:
    I sincerely apologize for the comments I made on Twitter yesterday. I made a mistake.
    And finally, this:
    I realize that my comments were hurtful, wrong and have no place in civil discourse.
    (hyperlinks in source)
    Last edited by Calamari Face; June 15th, 2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: I don't capitalize prepositions even if my sources do.



    I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

    I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011


    Larry Sanders 2016!

 

  • #2
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    25,871
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Isn't it...accusing Obama of racism against white people?
    I like hats.

  • #3
    The ENNIE Award Winning... kiznit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Xanadu
    Oratio
    18,192
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Isn't it...accusing Obama of racism against white people?
    Not really, because it's basically implying that it's only white people that bear the tax burden, and that black people by definition are unemployed.

  • #4
    Hot for Teacher COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Rainbow Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio
    10,337
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    It was about perception, not intent...or something.
    "All sparkly & dark at the same time. Sort of like twilight flavored rainbows with a hint of razorblades." --Kwyjibo, in JC's head

  • #5
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,281
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    ... and this is what is wrong with America.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

  • #6
    used up and tossed aside Niannorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Province
    The Kingdom of Northumbria, older than Scotland until they took our lands.
    Oratio
    2,738
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Did you have to go through all that to post a mildly funny, mildly racist joke?

    He said sorry for something that should have been said in private. So unless his actions reflect a racist attitude I wouldn't have a problem. Any one can make a mistake or show poor judgement.

    This isn't going to turn into an thread about all left footed golf players are racist becuase one once called some one a nigger is it?
    "The flowers smell sweeter the closer you are to the grave."

    "Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so to refer to people." J.R.R.T

  • #7
    Hot for Teacher COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Rainbow Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio
    10,337
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Niannorth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    This isn't going to turn into an thread about all left footed golf players are racist becuase one once called some one a nigger is it?
    It's a thread by Calamari Face, what else could it be?
    "All sparkly & dark at the same time. Sort of like twilight flavored rainbows with a hint of razorblades." --Kwyjibo, in JC's head

  • #8
    43% like Mistwell Vermicious Knid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Oratio
    10,853
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    The commotion here is about as justifiable as the commotion over the Letterman-Palin non-event. Which is to say...not at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Fine, I'll say it because it's obvious -- VK is 100% right

  • #9
    COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Rusty Halo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Minnesota
    Oratio
    12,905
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User

    and meanwhile, in Tennessee...

    Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Racist e-mail aimed at Obama raises hackles in Tennessee

    The chairman of Tennessee's Democratic Party wants a Republican legislative aide fired for sending out a "reprehensible" e-mail depicting President Obama as two cartoonish white eyes peering from a black background. Obama's image is in the last square of a collage containing portraits of the previous 43 US presidents. The e-mail, which was sent to other GOP staff members, was posted on the Internet Monday.

    Sherri Goforth, an administrative assistant to state Sen. Diane Black, R-Gallatin, has admitted she sent the e-mail May 28 with the title "Historical Keepsake Photo." She said, without elaborating, that she mistakenly sent it "to the wrong list of people." A note on the e-mail said it was paid for by the Tennessee Republican Party, but GOP officials denied they produced it. Black leads the Tennessee Senate Republican Caucus.
    link to see the picture


    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    The commotion here is about as justifiable as the commotion over the Letterman-Palin non-event. Which is to say...not at all.
    Yes, this.


  • #10
    used up and tossed aside Niannorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Province
    The Kingdom of Northumbria, older than Scotland until they took our lands.
    Oratio
    2,738
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Halo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    and meanwhile, in Tennessee...



    link to see the picture




    Yes, this.

    The problem with that is it isn't even mildly funny or at all well done.

    What is worth discussing is why it would be ok to poke fun at a president with a stutter, or who was very pale skinned or even ginger, some of which are racial traits and others may be mental or even considered a disability. When it would not be ok to poke fun at another president because of one of his racial traits.

    For example in London at the start of the 20th century the Irish suffered worse discrimination than black people in both housing and employment. Yet Irish and ginger jokes are perfectly acceptable but jokes about black people aren't.

    Just look at the way I have danced around here, I can say 'the Irish' but shy away from saying 'blacks'.

    I also find it interesting that a black comic can parody his grand mother and her Nigerian personality traits, but the exact same act delivered by a white comic would attract comments. Do we have to have a racial break down of each comic to see which jokes they tell we can laugh at and which we must purse our lips and tut? Or the idea that some words are ok for one race to say but unacceptable for another. Nigger for example, it should be the intent of the word not the word it self. If it is the word then no one should use it. You canít say itís ok for a black lad to say it but his mate who is white and has known him since birth canít use it in the same way.


    The list goes on, Polish jokes, Catholic jokes, Indian jokes, Geordie and Mackem jokes. They all play on stereo types, so why should some be ok and others not? Surely itís down to how, when and why they are delivered.

    Myself Iíll judge each joke, jibe and comic on its or their own merits and by what I perceive as the intent of the comic.
    "The flowers smell sweeter the closer you are to the grave."

    "Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so to refer to people." J.R.R.T

  • #11
    Hot for Teacher COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Rainbow Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio
    10,337
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Good to have you here, Niannorth!
    "All sparkly & dark at the same time. Sort of like twilight flavored rainbows with a hint of razorblades." --Kwyjibo, in JC's head

  • #12
    angels are hawt! TRACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Province
    SC Irmo
    Oratio
    5,494
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    My state AGAIN shows why it ranks last in so many polls and ranks first in so many others.

    -----------------------------------------------
    Tell us Trace, why are you incoherent?
    Just not sticking together as a mass - Trace

  • #13
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,281
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Niannorth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    -- snip a load of "politically correct" tapdancing --
    It's because niggers are uppity.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

  • #14
    COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Rusty Halo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Province
    Minnesota
    Oratio
    12,905
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Niannorth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    In London at the start of the 20th century, the Irish suffered worse discrimination than black people in both housing and employment.
    Any "competition of tears" is rather pointless. Comparing the discrimination that the Irish suffered in London in the early 1900s and the discrimination that African-Americans suffered in the United States during the same period is a fool's errand.

    But that's not really your larger point, is it?


    Quote Originally Posted by Niannorth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I also find it interesting that a black comic can parody his grandmother and her Nigerian personality traits, but the exact same act delivered by a white comic would attract comments.
    Of course, it's not "the exact same act" -- and to pretend they are the same is naive.

    Speech is heard as well as spoken. How something is heard, interpreted and understood by those who hear it is every bit as much part of the communication as are the words spoken. Once you say something (or write something, for that matter), it ceases to be yours alone. You no longer "own" it -- that is, you don't get the last, definitive word on what it means/meant, or how it's to be understood.

    Language is messy -- that's its strength and versatility as well as its liability. Hell, there's often more content communicated by tone of voice, inflection, accent and dialect, body language, and the like as by the words themselves. Now the written word (or image) lacks all of those clues and cues. In the case of this tweet mentioned in the OP, its interpretation proceeds without any of that contextual information.


    Quote Originally Posted by Niannorth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I’ll judge each joke, jibe and comic on its or their own merits and by what I perceive as the intent of the comic.
    You see, I think you actually get this, Nian, at some level.

    You admit that you'll interpret what you hear through your frame of reference. You'll bring your life experience and preferences and reasoned judgement and the like to help interpret what you hear a comedian say, for example. Well, judging communication "on its own merits" isn't some value-neutral equation, like determining whether something weighs 16.1 or 16.2 ounces. In the case of this so-called "racist" tweet, most of those who have taken offense have done precisely what you've done -- "judged it on its own merits and the perception of its intent."



  • #15
    rocket scientist Nareau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Province
    NC
    Oratio
    7,218
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Heh heh, that's not a bad joke. Double-pun, plays on multiple stereotypes...not bad at all.

    Hey, what do you call a black guy who flies a plane?
    Spoiler:
    A PILOT, you racist fuck!

  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •