Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Restaurant Service

I like eating in various restaurants. Almost all of them are quite nice and helpful. Two are not, and I kinda wonder what to do about it or if I should do anything about it.

The local Krystal franchise is owned by a single company; they manage, staff and such all of the said Krystals in the city. They are very poorly run. The stores are often messy. A Krystal comes with diced onions, mustard, and a pickle slice; over 3/4 of the time, there will be the barest attempts at place these on the burger. I might get a daub of mustard about the size of your pinky nail, and about that much onion, or nothing at all. Asking for added ketchup gets me about the same amount.

I've eaten at every Krystal in the city save one and they're all the same which says to me they're being trained to do it that way. Would this make logical sense?

Sometimes I'll get the normal proportions, but usually not. I've eaten at several Krystals outside the city, multiple times, and they are all without an exception much better. Their wait staff smiles, they put the normal amount of condiments on the food, the stores are as clean and nice as you'd expect a fast food place to be. They might get a little messy if there's a lot of business, but you'd expect that.

Buffalo Wild Wings. Man, I love the food. The quality of the food is not an issue here, it's entirely the service. I usually go before the dinner rush. There will be five or six servers of various ages standing around by the drinks area. The hostess podium will either not be manned, or the person doing it will find a table as if she's being taken in for a root canal.

If it's not manned, the servers standing around will watch me watching them or looking for a hostess until one of them breaks from the pack. I'll never see her or him again, but be given another server. More often than not the servers will stand up front and simply not move. More than once I've simply gone up to get my own tea and ice from the staff area because it's obvious they won't budge. Other than bringing the food promptly - which they will do; I've never had cold or old food - they're terrible staff. I have never seen a person with a managers badge/uniform/whatever make an appearance. Ever.

This has gone on for so many times with different servers that all I can think of is that everyone except the kitchen staff there needs to be fired, so that the incoming staff will not learn bad habits from them.

This past weekend I went to a BWW in Tennessee and it was a totally different experience. They were more crowded than mine normally is; the hostess seated us promptly and with a smile, the server was right there with drink refills and getting the check out to us, etc.

So, should I do anything? I'd thought about writing to the parent companies, or finding out who the regional/divisional managers are and writing to them about this stuff. Does anyone think that would do any good?

Quote Originally Posted by WayneLigon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I like eating in various restaurants. Almost all of them are quite nice and helpful. Two are not, and I kinda wonder what to do about it or if I should do anything about it.

The local Krystal franchise is owned by a single company; they manage, staff and such all of the said Krystals in the city. They are very poorly run. The stores are often messy. A Krystal comes with diced onions, mustard, and a pickle slice; over 3/4 of the time, there will be the barest attempts at place these on the burger. I might get a daub of mustard about the size of your pinky nail, and about that much onion, or nothing at all. Asking for added ketchup gets me about the same amount.

I've eaten at every Krystal in the city save one and they're all the same which says to me they're being trained to do it that way. Would this make logical sense?

Sometimes I'll get the normal proportions, but usually not. I've eaten at several Krystals outside the city, multiple times, and they are all without an exception much better. Their wait staff smiles, they put the normal amount of condiments on the food, the stores are as clean and nice as you'd expect a fast food place to be. They might get a little messy if there's a lot of business, but you'd expect that.

Buffalo Wild Wings. Man, I love the food. The quality of the food is not an issue here, it's entirely the service. I usually go before the dinner rush. There will be five or six servers of various ages standing around by the drinks area. The hostess podium will either not be manned, or the person doing it will find a table as if she's being taken in for a root canal.

If it's not manned, the servers standing around will watch me watching them or looking for a hostess until one of them breaks from the pack. I'll never see her or him again, but be given another server. More often than not the servers will stand up front and simply not move. More than once I've simply gone up to get my own tea and ice from the staff area because it's obvious they won't budge. Other than bringing the food promptly - which they will do; I've never had cold or old food - they're terrible staff. I have never seen a person with a managers badge/uniform/whatever make an appearance. Ever.

This has gone on for so many times with different servers that all I can think of is that everyone except the kitchen staff there needs to be fired, so that the incoming staff will not learn bad habits from them.

This past weekend I went to a BWW in Tennessee and it was a totally different experience. They were more crowded than mine normally is; the hostess seated us promptly and with a smile, the server was right there with drink refills and getting the check out to us, etc.

So, should I do anything? I'd thought about writing to the parent companies, or finding out who the regional/divisional managers are and writing to them about this stuff. Does anyone think that would do any good?
    I don't know that the parent company for BWW will do anything. We used to go to the one near us, and the service always sucked. This was a work thing, so there would be a large group of people, and it would always turn into a 2 hour affair to get lunch there.

Province
    DC Metropolitan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneLigon View Post
    Well, start off first by asking to speak with the manager on duty the next time you go. If you get no results that way, move up the food chain. A strongly written letter to regional management will get you some good attention (and maybe a gift certificate), and is the most likely way to get the results you're looking for.

Hulk not smash...LOVE! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Queenie's Avatar
    Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Stop eating there? Not meant as snarky but obviously there are some issues at the chains in your area.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

Ruby Selari Molly

Write letters, and be prepared to stop eating there if they won't address your concerns.
    Save time and see it my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    Stop eating there?

I find I'm with Queenie on this one. Life's too short to eat lousy food or get crappy service when you do eat out.

If you're that bothered by the crappy food and service, then Xath's advice is worthwhile too. Talk to the manager on duty and perhaps lodge a complaint with someone with authority in the company. If they're close to losing you as a regular customer, then you hafta believe they will fear others are choosing to eat elsewhere too.

Bulldozed NanBlank's home Ghostwind's Avatar
    Province
    Decatur, IN
    Oratio

Ignore User
    If we have a bad experience, we simply do not go back. There are no shortages of restaurants who really want you as a customer. Spend your time and energy finding them.

Today's Sesame Street has been brought to you by the letter Z and the number 9. Remember kids, head shots only!

LiveJournal Musings

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwind View Post
    If we have a bad experience, we simply do not go back. There are no shortages of restaurants who really want you as a customer. Spend your time and energy finding them.
    Not going any more cedes the battle, and gives them no useful feedback on why they're losing business. That allow them to chalk up restaurant failures to amorphous economic impact type snowjobs instead of their own direct failures.

Writing a letter is effort you may or may not want to spend, but at least you can leave content that they knew why you left, and their subsequent failure, when analyzed, has a chance to come down on the people who didn't do something about it.
    Save time and see it my way.

Has the technology COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    At a sit-down restraunt, I speak with my tip.

We have a local Applebys that we go to, and they are usually great, but we got one waitress a while ago who must have been new. She wouldn't let me order something I've been able to order for ages (A Riblet and Chicken finger combo, which used to be on their menu and I know they still let you order), nor would she let me substitute fries instead of my mashed potato on something else (At that point, i'd have walked out, but I was in a group). On top of that, she was lax on bringing drinks, didn't stick around to get our entire order, and just seemed to have a bit of a chip on her shoulders. First time in ages I've given a very poor tip. And strangely, I've not had a problem in that restraunt since.

If the tips suck, that says something. You can always stop the waiter/waitress and explain to them WHY the tip sucks too.

Beyond that, complaining to local management is the first step to fixing recurring issues, but you have to be willing to actualy stop going somewhere if there is a regular issue. There's a wendys we don't frequent that's close because they get at least 3 out of every 4 orders wrong (Wrong as in stuff missing).

Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    We have a local Applebys that we go to, and they are usually great, but we got one waitress a while ago who must have been new. She wouldn't let me order something I've been able to order for ages (A Riblet and Chicken finger combo, which used to be on their menu and I know they still let you order), nor would she let me substitute fries instead of my mashed potato on something else
    I have given up even going to Appleby's, and for much the same reason. They simply refused to substitute anything at all. I've tried going there twice in the last year. Neither time was I ever offered a table, or a server. After 15 minutes each time of watching servers walk past the hostess podium, I left.

Don't complain about bad service until you've eaten at restaurants in England.

OK, so I haven't eaten at even a representative sample, but every one I did eat at the last time there had worse service than the worst I'd ever had in the US. Perhaps it's because no one tips to encourage good service, or perhaps it was because the food was so bad (well, bland) that they don't expect anyone to actually need service, but they acted like it would take a royal degree to get me more tea. Twas a head scratcher, no mistake.

Province
    New Jersey
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Dude - it's Krystal... They aren't exactly fine dining.

Province
    Stalin's Tomb
    Oratio

Ignore User
    When I was a kid I apprenticed at a five-star hotel with a kitchen that was somewhere
    between four and five stars. At that level the customer is always right - even if you
    take a loss on the order. If you make the customer feel appreciated - no matter how
    obnoxious, and some I can remember have been extremely obnoxious - he might or
    might not come back. But if you brush him off, you can be sure the news will spread.

Dealing with moneyed assholes you can never please (especially when drunk) is a
    large part of the reason I gave up commercial cooking, even though I am good at it.

AI
    Never listen to or take the advice of anyone under
    thirty as they may have listened to or taken the
    advice of someone over thirty.

Province
    Vienna
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by alternate identity View Post
    Dealing with moneyed assholes you can never please (especially when drunk) is a large part of the reason I gave up commercial cooking, even though I am good at it.
    So Wayne Ligon is a drunk, moneyed asshole ? Thanks, I didn't know that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Turianus View Post
    So Wayne Ligon is a drunk, moneyed asshole ? Thanks, I didn't know that yet.
    I can has monies?!