Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Where do you fall on the political compass?

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User

Province
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yep, where I expected it

life is like a mop COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Dacke's Avatar
    Province
    Lund, Sweden
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Interesting to notice that pretty much everyone scores on the lower half (and most on the left), while all the serious presidential candidates (both from the actual election and the primaries) score on the top half and to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacke View Post
    Interesting to notice that pretty much everyone scores on the lower half (and most on the left), while all the serious presidential candidates (both from the actual election and the primaries) score on the top half and to the right.
    I'd suspect that's less a disconnect between the body politic and the candidates, and more of the self-selecting nature of this board (and more so folks that have taken the poll and posted).

Province
    Somewhere wet and muddy.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacke View Post
    Well, those seeking positions of authority tend by definition to have authoritarian leanings.

Ready to STFU? Call me. fusangite's Avatar
    Province
    The 604 area code
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The test tracks libertarianism mainly by asking about contemporary hot button religious and social issues rather than more timeless questions about the conflicts between state power and individual rights. As a result, the test is going to find younger people to be more libertarian and older people less so. I think this is a mistake. Imagine, for instance, if firearms ownership took the place of abortion on the test or if the rights of private clubs to refuse members took the place of gay rights.
    "The work is slow. The ape is old." - Leonard Cohen

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by fusangite View Post
    The test tracks libertarianism mainly by asking about contemporary hot button religious and social issues rather than more timeless questions about the conflicts between state power and individual rights. As a result, the test is going to find younger people to be more libertarian and older people less so. I think this is a mistake. Imagine, for instance, if firearms ownership took the place of abortion on the test or if the rights of private clubs to refuse members took the place of gay rights.
    Curious... which of the latter represents a more 'authoritatian' viewpoint?

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by fusangite View Post
    I agre.... I know when I've taken more indepth tests I tend to score as more firmly Authoritarian, not so close to the line as this. Hell I remember one test NTL did way back in the day where I scored waaaaaaay up in the Upper Left Corner.

And where do those "racial" questions come in? Economic? I can't see how their Political at all.
    Last edited by nail bunny; January 4th, 2019 at 06:04 AM.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Ready to STFU? Call me. fusangite's Avatar
    Province
    The 604 area code
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Curious... which of the latter represents a more 'authoritatian' viewpoint?
    I think that forcing private clubs to accept certain people as members is an example of an authoritarian position I favour. Similarly, restricting firearms ownership is an authoritarian position I back. I feel that the survey registers me as more libertarian than I am largely based on my religious views rather than my more authoritarian views about libertarian issues of longer standing.
    "The work is slow. The ape is old." - Leonard Cohen

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User

Have to agree with Fus and others that it doesn't accuratly measure the Auth/Lib scale. I was expecting to end up quite firmly in the red, since I'm pretty opposed to laissez-faire principles, and I've got nothing against forcing people to be all nice and tolerant either

I will just plunder wikipedia for this post. The question would be : what do you think is the most pertinent political spectrum chart ?

1)

2)

3) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...olan-chart.svg

4) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tical-Quiz.svg

5)

Province
    Coventry, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
    I ended right in the middle of the green square... But I was somewhat frustrated by some questions and the lack of a "centrist" option.
    I thought that too at times, which is why I think it put me slightly to the left of where I should be.

glass.

Province
    Alexandria Fairfax
    Oratio

Ignore User
    About where I was last time I took this.

Straight GOP / Gay Barfly yogipsu's Avatar
    Province
    Dayton, OH
    Oratio

Ignore User
    About where I expected it...

I stay lib, but fluctuate between economically left and right depending on the issue...

Last edited by yogipsu; November 4th, 2008 at 06:02 AM.

Province
    Texas
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I am slightly to the right of Gandhi, this surprises me somewhat.

• Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast