Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - Season 8

Game of Thrones - Season 8

Well, at least we finally have a date for when this Long Night of waiting will be ended, April 14th. I think it's going to be epic and badass.

While we count down the days, I've been reading "Fire and Blood" and hopping around in "The World Of Ice And Fire", though I'm not done with either yet, trying to savor them a bit.

Also found this cool video which goes into some very early Westerosi history (I hadn't known about the Arm of Dorne) and scratches the surface of all the stuff beyond Essos.

Anybody have predictions/speculation on how it's all going to end? I'm guessing it's going to somehow be the sacrifice of all magic (dragons, obsidian candles, R'Hllor magic, the remaining Children of the Forest, etc.) to end the Night King and his army. There's going to be a huge levelling of the playing field of power in Westeros and a big 're-set' of the Great Houses and who controls where.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    After I watched all the seasons of the TV show, I read the books. I'm still waiting for the next one. Who will die first: GRRM or me?

I don't know, but given Martin's penchant for killing off popular characters, I'd expect some kind of supreme sacrifice with the good guys probably winning out. I cannot see the series ending with the dead whitewalkers in power.
    I'd expect Cersei Lannister to make it but maybe her brother will die. Also Sansa Stark will probably stick around.

Can't speak for the men.

You could start a betting pool for this like "Pigskin Pick'em."
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    I'd expect Cersei Lannister to make it but maybe her brother will die. Also Sansa Stark will probably stick around.

Can't speak for the men.

You could start a betting pool for this like "Pigskin Pick'em."
    I would be utterly unsurprised to find that Vegas already has pools for this. But my picks to live are:

Tyrion
    Arya
    Dany
    Jon

Cersei ain't gonna make it, she's going to die by prophecy (all of which so far has been correct) and I'm willing to bet the valonqar spoken of is Jaime. Brienne and Jaime might, but I wouldn't put a lot of money on them. I would hope Tormund would, as well as Sandor, though I think he's too tormented a character to not go out in a blaze of sacrificial glory. In a more typically-Hollywood storybook ending, he'd somehow end up with Sansa. I don't expect her to live, either; I don't know why but she's got a sort of doom-shadow on her in my mind.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm of 2 minds about Jon: they could kill him again so he'd not only be merely dead, but really most sincerely dead, or they may let him live as in "been there done that." so what's the point of killing him twice.

GRRM likes to kill people I like, which is why most of those on your list are people I'd expect him to off, although it's hard to see Dany killed, I agree. I like Brienne so she's probably a goner as is Jaime. It seems the more vicious, the more likely they are to live, although it didn't help some of the bastards who got their due so what do I know? I'd name names but my memory ain't working at the mo'

I'm of 2 minds about Jon: they could kill him again so he'd not only be merely dead, but really most sincerely dead, or they may let him live as in "been there done that." so what's the point of killing him twice.
    Well, it is "The Song of Ice and Fire", and Jon & Dany seem to be the representatives of that, respectively.

I like Brienne so she's probably a goner as is Jaime.
    Both are warriors, and warriors tend to die. In war.

although it didn't help some of the bastards who got their due so what do I know? I'd name names but my memory ain't working at the mo'
    Ramsay Bolton
    Joffrey Baratheon
    Polliver
    Walder Frey
    Meryn Trant
    Roose Bolton

A girl has a list.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Thanks. It's been a while and I am not sleeping much these days, so my recall has declined.

Jon and Dany may remain, but it would be too neat and sweet. GRRM doesn't strike me as a happy ending kind of a guy, but I've not read any of his other prolific works.

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    He's on record as describing the ending as 'bittersweet'.

My bet is on either Dany and Jon ruling over the ashes, or going out in a blaze of glory.

In the books Rickon is the spare Stark; this may either imply Bran gets to be Lord of Winterfell on the show, or that Jon survives the show (where GRRM had planned for him to die).

Jon and Daenerys ruling with Tyrion as hand is also an option. edit: Or Dany dying with Jon and Tyrion surviving.
    Last edited by Ulrik; January 22nd, 2019 at 05:07 PM.

Dany's also got a prophecy to fulfill by having a wee Starkgaryen bun in her oven. So she won't die terribly prematurely.

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Dany's also got a prophecy to fulfill by having a wee Starkgaryen bun in her oven. So she won't die terribly prematurely.
    Wha. Linky!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    Wha. Linky!
    No linky, just me connecting dots. Remember what Mirri maz dur said about when her womb would quicken again? And reading everything, it seems like there's a fairly high probability of infertility, stillbirths and birth defects when Targaryens mate with non-Targaryens. Since Jon is half Targaryen, he's got the best chances of being a breedable male to her. And you just know​ that happened in the last season on the ship. So Cersei ain't the only one preggers, though I'm sure Dany doesn't realize it yet, and probably believes herself perma-sterile.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    In the last episode, shortly before they went to bed, there was some conversation between Dany and Jon about her purported lack of fertility and his response was to question the assertion. So I think Palaralae is pretty much on point there.

OH SHIT

Looks like Jon wargs or is warged in that clip from HBO's new commercial of all their new upcoming shows. It's just a half-second glimpse of him at about 1:36, but his eyes are definitely clouded over.

I'll spoiler-tag for the first few days until folks have a chance to watch, though if you haven't watched it yet, what are you doing on the internet, anyhow?

omg, opening episode was so good.

SO. GOOD. The new opening sequence was stunning, the guys in charge of that really outdid themselves. I had to back it up and stop it in a few places to admire the details. "Look! They even did MECHANICAL FLAMES in the FIREPLACE!"

Speaking of details, I also paused in delight for the shot they did of Yara and Theon hugging onboard just to admire the primitive-style hairclips she had in, and wondered if they were horn or bone. Well, on second thought they're probably 3-d printed plastic, but....

I love how they're sprinkling in a bit of humour, both tongue-in-cheek and outright. Really balances the gravity.

Some of these had me utterly DED, too.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I felt like it was sort of slow paced. And I kept wanting to tell Jon to take that damned cape off while he's up there flying on dragons. Hardly appropriate, although I don't know what kind of outerwear one dons for dragon riding. Maybe it's been too long, but I sort of wanted things to build up, develop more. To be fair, they had lots of threads to weave together to set up the final season, so I expect it was necessary.

For the most part, this was me, watching:

• Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast