Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

4e: Rituals

Would rituals be cooler if you could store the magic of a ritual in something and then use the ritual later on. For instance, if you knew you needed a Knock ritual at a specific door in a wizard's tower, you could perform the ritual in the morning, store the Knock in a key, and then when you got to the door, use the key on the door, expending the Knock, and gaining the effects of the ritual.

I haven't read them closely, so maybe this is possible, but it doesn't seem so. It also seems that interrupting an adventure to do a ritual is less interesting than preparing a ritual beforehand and then praying it works when you need it.
    "All sparkly & dark at the same time. Sort of like twilight flavored rainbows with a hint of razorblades." --Kwyjibo, in JC's head

Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil_Upchurch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Would rituals be cooler if you could store the magic of a ritual in something and then use the ritual later on. For instance, if you knew you needed a Knock ritual at a specific door in a wizard's tower, you could perform the ritual in the morning, store the Knock in a key, and then when you got to the door, use the key on the door, expending the Knock, and gaining the effects of the ritual.

I haven't read them closely, so maybe this is possible, but it doesn't seem so. It also seems that interrupting an adventure to do a ritual is less interesting than preparing a ritual beforehand and then praying it works when you need it.
    When we did this sort of thing with 3e, we just called it scribing scrolls.

I don't see why it would be a problem, as long as there was some sort of cost to do so. Then again I've always preferred "gadget" magic users.

One 'Ard Bitch Freedom Canadian's Avatar
    Province
    Montreal
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I think it's a pretty neat idea.

Wants Hypersmurf's Childhood Agamon's Avatar
    Province
    Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Wait, can't you put a ritual on a scroll already?

Hot for Teacher COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Rainbow Poet's Avatar
    Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I would probably limit it to one stored Ritual per "caster," and force them to have some related object (like the key to Knock) to hold the Ritual in. It might only last a number of days equal to Int modifier, after which it loses its power and you're out all the component costs.

Imbuing ritual power in this way seems quite flavorful and emulates many instances in fantasy fiction.

Scribing a ritual scroll isnt' really the same thing, since it still takes half the ritual time to perform it.
    "All sparkly & dark at the same time. Sort of like twilight flavored rainbows with a hint of razorblades." --Kwyjibo, in JC's head

One 'Ard Bitch Freedom Canadian's Avatar
    Province
    Montreal
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    You could also limit the ritual to being used in a pre-determined circumstance. For instance, the Knock stored ritual could be limited to only opening that one door you knew you were going to need to open.

It rewards information gathering, which is always a good thing IMO.

Province
    Back from the dead, it would seem...
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Imbuing ritual power in this way seems quite flavorful and emulates many instances in fantasy fiction.
    Yup, I dig this. Harry Potter and Harry Dresden certainly stand out in my mind for this kind of utility magic.
    Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt.
    --
    "Et des boyaux du dernier prÍtre, serrons le cou du dernier roi." -- Diderot
    --
    You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
    And now and then stab, as occasion serves.
    -- Christopher Marlowe,
    Edward II, Act II, Scene I

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Canadian View Post
    You could also limit the ritual to being used in a pre-determined circumstance. For instance, the Knock stored ritual could be limited to only opening that one door you knew you were going to need to open.

It rewards information gathering, which is always a good thing IMO.
    Great idea!

How you doin'? COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Klaus's Avatar
    Province
    Rio de Janeiro
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User

That is a neat option to have.

What about this: it works just like a ritual scroll, but you can spend an action point to do it in x rounds (maybe 1?). That way you limit it to those "DO IT NOW!" moments that Jack Bauer just loves.

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
    That is a neat option to have.

What about this: it works just like a ritual scroll, but you can spend an action point to do it in x rounds (maybe 1?). That way you limit it to those "DO IT NOW!" moments that Jack Bauer just loves.
    I think it might make more sense to have to spend a heroic surge on it rather than an action point.

But I try not to think about either of those.

Province
    Rio de Janeiro
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I think it might make more sense to have to spend a heroic surge on it rather than an action point.

But I try not to think about either of those.
    How about this: As long as the item is unspent, you have one fewer Heroic Surge. You are, in fact, storing some of your vitality into the maintenance of the magic.

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    How about this: As long as the item is unspent, you have one fewer Heroic Surge. You are, in fact, storing some of your vitality into the maintenance of the magic.
    That works better with the idea that you can keep it active over a number of days.

Province
    Rio de Janeiro
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    That works better with the idea that you can keep it active over a number of days.
    Yeah. And then you don't even have to impose any other limit to the length of time or number of ritual items you possess. This will be limited by a) how many surges you have and b) if you need the surges or not.

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Yeah. And then you don't even have to impose any other limit to the length of time or number of ritual items you possess. This will be limited by a) how many surges you have and b) if you need the surges or not.
    True, but I still think I like the "one at a time" limitation, at least until I see how it plays out. I can see people always carrying around three or four of these...although, Wizards don't get too many heroic surges to begin with. Hmm. I suppose if you said it subtracted a heroic surge from your overall total and cost a heroic surge to use it then it would self-limit.

That would also let the DM and/or player set up a situation where several fast rituals were needed, so the wizard was really taking a chance by transporting them through a dangerous dungeon until they were needed. Ah, yes, that is a sweet idea.

BANNED
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I think this is going somewhere really interesting. It's one of those things that I want to find a way to incorporate into my 3.x game.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast