Thread: Random Food Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Lycorys View Post
    This morning I am going to have fried mush and bacon for breakfast
    I love fried mush!

I suppose it's really just polenta, and since one can buy that in a tube, nothing is stopping me from having fried mush for breakfast either.

used up and tossed aside Niannorth's Avatar
    Province
    The Kingdom of Northumbria, older than Scotland until they took our lands.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Nothing worth eating in the work's canteen so I had to settle for chips (Fries) and gravy.

Both were horrid so there were no good points to my lunch!
    "The flowers smell sweeter the closer you are to the grave."

"Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so to refer to people." J.R.R.T

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You go, GG !

It was delicious - definitely a comfort food for me. My mom and I were the only ones who liked it in my immediate family so I got lots every time she made it. And there's something about maple syrup and bacon that makes me smile

Province
    The Solar Federation
    Oratio

Ignore User
    My lasagna got rave reviews from my future mother-in-law.
    4e sucks big sweaty monkey balls

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm making peach ice cream tonight.

Province
    Houston, Texas
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm making peach ice cream tonight.
    Is that difficult?

I made Banana bread on Monday. The bananas I bought before GenCon didn't get eaten and I had to put them to use or put them in the compost. Turned out wonderfully.
    ~Rozanne

Province
    Cantabrigia
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Wow.

We just finished our dinner of Beer-Battered Tilapia* with Mango Salsa, and it was glorious. The sweetness of the mango complemented the light batter and the fish excellently. Plus, I got to finish off the rest of the Newcastle that didn't make it into the batter.

*our fishmonger doesn't carry tilapia due to farming/feeding concerns, so we went with haddock, but it still came out very well.
    Cassael's Lament - An Eberron Story

"where's your neo-classical romanticism now, fishstick austin??? num num num" - T-Rex

sicut enim signum est finis sagittantis, ita est finis motus sagittae. - Aquinas

You go, GG !

It was delicious - definitely a comfort food for me. My mom and I were the only ones who liked it in my immediate family so I got lots every time she made it. And there's something about maple syrup and bacon that makes me smile
    Fried mush, maple syrup and bacon?
    *faints dead away from longing*

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozanne View Post
    Is that difficult?
    Not with an ice cream maker

There's still some prep work involved, and depending how fancy schmancy you wanna get with your ice cream it can take some time. However, I wouldn't say it's difficult.

This is what I use:

Province
    Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I hadn't heard of fried mush until I came to Ohio. I had polenta plenty of times, but specifically eating it as a sweet breakfast thing with butter and maple syrup??

But I have seen the light. Although I like to eat a few pieces with over easy eggs and sausage pattis and save 1 piece for "dessert"

I've never had fried mush before. Is it kind of like corn cakes? (i.e. a pancake made out of corn meal)
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

Province
    Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    I've never had fried mush before. Is it kind of like corn cakes? (i.e. a pancake made out of corn meal)
    The corn mush I get at the local eatery is a 1/2 inch thick slab of polenta that has been deep fried, but if I were making it at home, I think pan frying would work well too.

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by loki44 View Post
    Mush is polenta. This is how I buy it.

When I make it I make it in a loaf pan.

Quote Originally Posted by xrpsuzi View Post
    The corn mush I get at the local eatery is a 1/2 inch thick slab of polenta that has been deep fried, but if I were making it at home, I think pan frying would work well too.
    Deep-frying ruins the texture and it's just too oily. I pan fry 1/4" thick pieces in butter. The outsides are golden brown and a little crispy while the insides are hot and firm. Aside from putting maple syrup on it I also like to serve it for breakfast with eggs and swiss chard.

Province
    Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Deep-frying ruins the texture and it's just too oily. I pan fry 1/4" thick pieces in butter. The outsides are golden brown and a little crispy while the insides are hot and firm. Aside from putting maple syrup on it I also like to serve it for breakfast with eggs and swiss chard.
    Damn it Lyc, you're talking me into making it home right before we start back on our diet.

Sounds tasty though.

Mush is polenta.
    Interesting. I've never heard it called that before and, like xrpsuzi before she moved to Ohio, never thought of polenta as a breakfast food. Good idea!
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Invisible Castle

• Page 16 of 156 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343566116 ... LastLast