Thread: Random Food Thoughts

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    I bet you use it too.
    Margarine is fucking disgusting. I grew up having to eat that shit, no way would I make that choice now. I'd go without.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Margarine is fucking disgusting. I grew up having to eat that shit, no way would I make that choice now. I'd go without.
    Not only is it disgusting, you have the brain cells to know that shit is death in a bowl.

Now, if you'd just wise up about the bologna/hotdog thing, too.....

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Culinary bitching post ahead.

So, a few months back, at this small-scale post-apo camping event I went to down on the Columbia, I decided to do some primitive cooking of some Cornish game hens on my Lodge firebowl/grill that I love. They turned out delicious and beautifully done after I shoved a mushroom, a bit of onion and lemon up each their asses and roasted them. I ate my fill, then fed random passersby who ventured close enough to my campfire. Telling the mate's half-sister (who is a cool chick, she commissioned one of my mimics specifically for their camp at Burning Man) about them, she mentioned that she'd love to have some, and would I maybe do a couple at this upcoming trip a bunch of us are taking to their childhood home out in rural Utah. I said sure, figuring I'd do maybe three, and those who want some can have some. The mate's sister's kids (two twenty-year-olds and one 10-ish year old) will be there. Since they and their mom are vegetarians, and the children have a history of getting snobbily judgmental and condescendingly preachy about how vegetarianism is morally superior, I warned the mate that I will likely be in even less mood to put up with their crap than usual, and reserve the right to nonchalantly say something to the effect of, "How 'bout you shut your mouth before I roast and baste you in your own fat?" since the two jobless twenty-year-olds are for the most part lazy, entitled, stay-at-home-and-play-video-games-all-day whiny little porkers.

We leave on a Friday flight; a bunch of stuff is being driven down by the mate's mom, including my firebowl and other stuff I need, since I don't know for sure what will be around in the different ecology (isolated, rural Utah high desert) that I can gather and use.

I just found out literally minutes ago, having been forwarded the email that he and I are somehow responsible for cooking dinner on one of the nights, and there's like 10 or so vegetarians out of 17 people. I was not included on the planning emails, or sent the link for the Google doc thing (which won't apparently open for me).

So, we went from "Hey, I'll do a neat thing for those who want to partake" to "Cook a full dinner for a middling-size group (likely on my smallish firebowl), most of which are vegetarian." Veggie skewers it is, I guess. Part of me wants to vindictively cook the game hens first so that the vegetarian skewers get lots of nice flavorful chicken grease on them.

We're also picking me up some fucking steak when we hit the grocery store on the way in to buy supplies/food, because I am not enduring/risking vegetarian fare for 3 days when I don't know who's cooking/providing everything else. Fuck that. I will bring my own shit. Maybe even blissfully eat a pop tart right in front of the Porg-esque, longing stares of the entitled vegetarian children. I may or may not smirk.

I may need to make an alignment check sometime this weekend. I mean, just how bad is Chaotic Evil, anyhow, really....

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It's vegetarians. You're doing them a favor.

I'll do much the same with the whole roasted chicken, although I'll usually just pop them in the oven in a roasting pan on a bed of veggies, broth, seasonings and white wine (no butter or margarine ). They turn out pretty good.

Lately though, instead of potatoes, I'll use sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes in soups, roasts and stews are fucking awesome. They actually give the whatever you're cooking them flavor, instead of potatoes which usually soak up flavor. Plus they're better for you.

In fact, I've been trying to eat better and make better food choices. Like for lunch, I'll do the various steamer bowls or a sandwich instead of something high in calories and a light breakfast. For dinner, I'm trying to wean myself off of fast food and stick to stuff I cook at home. It's not a diet, but I am loosing weight. I know this because last Christmas I got this pretty dress I couldn't fit into (too tight), but now fits perfectly!

So yay!
    Last edited by kirinke; June 6th, 2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Now, if you'd just wise up about the bologna/hotdog thing, too.....
    Hotdogs are a religion.

Hotdogs are a religion.
    Well, yes. But even this amusingly-clever workaround of the fourth commandment cannot motivate me to joyously partake.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, yes. But even this amusingly-clever workaround of the fourth commandment cannot motivate me to joyously partake.
    I don't see why anyone would need a work a work-around. Just stick the wiener in your mouth.

Not like it'd be the first one.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I prefer sausage links and bratworst to regular hot dogs.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

I don't see why anyone would need a work a work-around. Just stick the wiener in your mouth.

Not like it'd be the first one.
    You first, since that's something you're into.

Pineapple-hating heretics, WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

Though that needs to be Canadian bacon, not pepperoni.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Or spam if you want it really Hawaiian. It's pretty though and I bet it tastes awesome.

Or spam if you want it really Hawaiian. It's pretty though and I bet it tastes awesome.
    Spam is disgusting. At least as disgusting as hotdogs/bologna.

Possibly worse, as it's got that nasty glop-shit on top and the smell makes me want to bolt for an exit. Though the first and only time I've smelled it was more than a handful of years ago, so maybe they've changed their recipe or something. I doubt it.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Now I know you're trolling me. Spam is disgusting. What I hear? It tastes like people...

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User

Possibly worse, as it's got that nasty glop-shit on top and the smell makes me want to bolt for an exit. Though the first and only time I've smelled it was more than a handful of years ago, so maybe they've changed their recipe or something. I doubt it.
    I don't care for tinned meat myself, but from what I understand Hawaiians are absolutely ga-ga over the stuff. I think it's something you either love immediately or loathe immediately.

I don't care for tinned meat myself, but from what I understand Hawaiians are absolutely ga-ga over the stuff. I think it's something you either love immediately or loathe immediately.
    That's actually true. And they do some interesting things with it. Personally, I understand the disgust, but I like it.

• Page 155 of 156 FirstFirst ... 55105136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156 LastLast