Thread: Random Food Thoughts

  1. #2161
    self admitted prolifer kirinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    6,884
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Either the meta-level on this snarkfest is insane... or the lack of self-awareness has reached critical levels.

    /FryUnsure.gif
    It's like the song that never ends. It goes on and on my friends....
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

    I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

 

  • #2162
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    2,983
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Either the meta-level on this snarkfest is insane... or the lack of self-awareness has reached critical levels.

    /FryUnsure.gif
    Closer to the first, though more like a tennis-volley of amusement, at least on my part.

    I certainly wouldn't speak for or imply that's the way Ovi feels.

    He hates it when I do that.
    Spring spirit-dancer, nimble and thin
    I will leap like Coyote when I go
    Tireless entrancer, lend me your skin
    I will run like the gray wolf when I go

    I will climb the rise at daybreak, I will kiss the sky at noon
    Raise my yearning voice at midnight to my mother in the moon
    I will make the lay of long defeat and draw the chorus slow
    I'll send this message down the wire
    Hope that someone wise is listening
    When I go

  • #2163
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,760
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Closer to the first, though more like a tennis-volley of amusement, at least on my part.

    I certainly wouldn't speak for or imply that's the way Ovi feels.

    He hates it when I do that.
    The perfect moment
    to have committed haiku
    as leaves on the wind
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

  • #2164
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    2,983
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    NOOOOOOOO!!! Coca-Cola is discontinuing Coke Zero!!!

    I hardly ever drink pop anymore, but dammit, I enjoy the occasional Coke Zero. They're apparently replacing it with some new zero-sugar recipe, but...I just know they're gonna fuck it up. Sigh.

    Anybody else that's a Coke Zero fan, I'd highly recommend going and getting anything that's still on the shelves and stockpiling. I managed to get three 20-packs.
    Spring spirit-dancer, nimble and thin
    I will leap like Coyote when I go
    Tireless entrancer, lend me your skin
    I will run like the gray wolf when I go

    I will climb the rise at daybreak, I will kiss the sky at noon
    Raise my yearning voice at midnight to my mother in the moon
    I will make the lay of long defeat and draw the chorus slow
    I'll send this message down the wire
    Hope that someone wise is listening
    When I go

  • #2165
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,453
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    I have now almost entirely eliminated drinking milk, refined sugar, most fats and alcohol from my diet. With the exception of some processed foods like vinegar, feta, natural yoghurt and bread, I've also mostly eliminated processed foods. I was never a big soda drinker so not drinking those wasn't really a loss for me.

    Eating very healthy nowadays with a lot of variety and gone from 90% meat and 10% "other", to about 90% vegetables, legumes, fruit and 10% meat. I still have a sin day every week, like on a gaming night where we order take-away, and on pay-day, but even then, I'm just not craving a lot of the crap I used to so I'm still, generally, getting OK stuff.

    I think the biggest change was in accepting that I had to put in the effort to actually make proper meals rather than rely on fads, services or packages, i.e. the easy, quick and convenient way. Soaking beans overnight, for instance, is no longer something I consider an annoying chore.

    And I'm really feeling the benefits of it. Just so much more energy, better mood, better focus and attention and better sleep. Still working on the making sure I get an hour of exercise a day, as a minimum, part of things but even that isn't as much of a burden because of the aforementioned benefits, it's more just making it a part of the routine. I used to also have issues of doing exercise and then coming home and craving junk. I solved that by making sure I schedule the exercise before I'd have an afternoon snack (a piece of fruit). That sugar hit from the fruit really helps curb the cravings after exercise.

    The funny thing is that I've always liked a lot of the things I eat, I just could never be bothered making them. Like, I now make a five bean salad with parsley and baby spinach, some lemon juice, bit of olive oil, honey for sweetness and salt and pepper. It's really nice, I really like it, but always just thought, "Fuck it, I'll microwave a burrito."

    Also eating five meals a day along with water, has eliminated my binge-eating. Morning tea and afternoon tea as a piece of fruit helps control the insulin levels throughout the day so I don't crash and crave. So simple, yet, just never had the impetus to make the change. NAFLD will give you a wake-up call, that's for sure.

    What's also great is that I'm actually spending less money on food even though I'm eating far healthier and enjoying what I'm eating far more. I only eat red meat once a week, and that's usually on my "sin" day. Most other days dinner is fish (usually salmon which I love), and lunch is chicken. Primarily it's a mediterranean style diet which is great, 'cause I love mediterranean style food. Because of this, I can also afford small luxuries like fresh roasted coffee beans for my conical grinder. Cold brew coffee and aeropress, how have I missed thee, let me count the ways. Coffee with no milk and sugar is the only way to drink it. You miss so much flavour by adding sugar and milk.

    All this means that I'm now probably going to outlive all the people I hate on this board. Suck it.
    If you ever have to argue climate science with an idiot:

    "And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth."
    ~ Revelations 11:18.

  • #2166
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,760
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    All this means that I'm now probably going to outlive all the people I hate on this board. Suck it.
    Welcome to how I've been doing things for the past decade.


    Except for the eating fruit. I'm allergic to almost all [uncooked] pectins and fruit proteins. Fucking hell, I miss apples and bananas.


    [EDIT]
    Also allergic to an awful lot of uncooked vegetable proteins... but since I enjoy them cooked, that's not as a big a hardship as being allergic to uncooked fruit.
    [/EDIT]
    Last edited by nail bunny; July 28th, 2017 at 02:10 PM.
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

  • #2167
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    27,778
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Further proof the world isn't fair. Although, there's some solace that Kzach might be forced to suffer his miserable life for longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #2168
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,453
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    I learned an important food lesson today: less, is sometimes more.

    I realised that I wasn't really enjoying the cheese I was adding to my regular breakfast meal. Adding cheese was just a holdover from old dieting habits. Cheese added to everything. Then I realised that the meal would actually probably taste better without it, and it did. So not only did I reduce a whole heap of calories while not losing out on fats or vitamins from the cheese (well covered elsewhere in the diet), but I actually made the meal taste better. For some reason, the cheese was masking the flavours of the other ingredients and without it, those ingredients really shone.

    For the record, the meal is a slice of Turkish bread (the fluffy type with big air bubbles in it), cut in half, both toasted under the grill, with one side having a teaspoon of butter (my one "bad" ingredient for the day) and one large soft-boiled egg, and the other with a quarter of an avocado and a small sliced tomato, both with a bit of salt and pepper freshly ground. Along with a cup of freshly ground fresh roasted Ethiopian single origin coffee made in an Aeropress via the inversion method.

    And to think, this diet is actually cheaper than what I used to eat.

    I also just discovered that apparently red wine is OK for me. Australia has really cheap but good wine. Without the cheese, I could afford a glass of red wine with dinner in my budget. Hmm... must go get wine tonight...
    If you ever have to argue climate science with an idiot:

    "And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth."
    ~ Revelations 11:18.

  • #2169
    self admitted prolifer kirinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    6,884
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Further proof the world isn't fair. Although, there's some solace that Kzach might be forced to suffer his miserable life for longer.
    It could be worse. You could know him you know, in real life. Thankfully, we don't.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

    I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

  • #2170
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,453
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    It could be worse. You could know him you know, in real life. Thankfully, we don't.
    You say this as someone whom everyone here would avoid in real life.
    If you ever have to argue climate science with an idiot:

    "And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth."
    ~ Revelations 11:18.

  • #2171
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    2,983
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    I do a similar thing to your bread, but it's just half a sourdough English muffin with some butter and an egg yolk from a fried egg middling-cooked smooshed onto it.

    I made a dish last night that I grew up eating which we called "cowboy beans", and I realized that whenever I've told people about it, they seem to never have heard of it. So here's how to make it. About the most delicious way of eating green beans that I know, because...bacon.

    Steam your green beans in a pot until about 1/2 or 2/3 the way done, and drain. Have some fried-until-crispy bacon crumbled up, add into the beans. Also add a generous splash or two of apple cider vinegar (the real stuff, not the apple cider *flavored* crap), stir and cover to finish steaming until the beans are as done as you like them. The flavors marry quite nicely. You don't have to do a lot of crumbled bacon, it's more as an accent.
    Spring spirit-dancer, nimble and thin
    I will leap like Coyote when I go
    Tireless entrancer, lend me your skin
    I will run like the gray wolf when I go

    I will climb the rise at daybreak, I will kiss the sky at noon
    Raise my yearning voice at midnight to my mother in the moon
    I will make the lay of long defeat and draw the chorus slow
    I'll send this message down the wire
    Hope that someone wise is listening
    When I go

  • #2172
    I will be warm! COMMUNITY SUPPORTER guyjin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio
    7,817
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    ...people make green beans not that way?

  • #2173
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,453
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    I've never been a fan of string beans. The texture puts me off. The skin is... chalky? It's hard to describe but it sort-of squeaks against my teeth and makes me uncomfortable.
    If you ever have to argue climate science with an idiot:

    "And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth."
    ~ Revelations 11:18.

  • #2174
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    2,983
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I've never been a fan of string beans. The texture puts me off. The skin is... chalky? It's hard to describe but it sort-of squeaks against my teeth and makes me uncomfortable.
    That's...odd. The way I make my beans, they're always tender; I've had them be 'squeaky' like that if other folks have made them, though, so I know what you're talking about. I also tend to get them not cut into strings, but more like diced up in 1-2 inch chunks.

    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    ...people make green beans not that way?
    Iunno, I mentioned it on my FB a while back and got what seemed to be a lot of (virtual) incredulous stares. I wonder what the origin is of making them that way, maybe it's a Midwest thing; my grandma and mom were from Wisconsin/Illinois, so maybe it's a relatively unknown thing for PNW folk.
    Spring spirit-dancer, nimble and thin
    I will leap like Coyote when I go
    Tireless entrancer, lend me your skin
    I will run like the gray wolf when I go

    I will climb the rise at daybreak, I will kiss the sky at noon
    Raise my yearning voice at midnight to my mother in the moon
    I will make the lay of long defeat and draw the chorus slow
    I'll send this message down the wire
    Hope that someone wise is listening
    When I go

  • #2175
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,453
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    vCash
    500

    Ignore User
    Strawberries and honey is now my favourite thing.

    Four small strawberries, washed, leaves off leaving the stalk and about a half teaspoon of honey drizzled over them. Holy shit, it's a magic combo.
    If you ever have to argue climate science with an idiot:

    "And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth."
    ~ Revelations 11:18.

  • Page 145 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4595126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •