Thread: Random Food Thoughts

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Lol. Look up Skyrim recipes on youtube. There is alot of them.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Some of us actually enjoy​ books.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    There's more than one intersection of gaming and cooking, and this one is forthcoming, "The Elder Scrolls, The Official Cookbook".
    Be careful someone doesn't steal your sweetroll.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, I'm going for something different today for dinner

LEMON CHICKEN & LENTIL SOUP

1 medium yellow onion

2 large garlic cloves

Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes

1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes

1 cup brown lentils

5 cups chicken broth

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts

3 egg yolks

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Salt and pepper

Instructions

Slice the onion in very thin slices and add to the slow cooker.
    Mince the garlic and add it into the slow cooker.
    Add in the red pepper flakes, parsley flakes, lentils, chicken broth and chicken.
    Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH for 2 1/2-3 hours.
    Remove the lid and remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and return to the slow cooker.
    In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice. Stir into the slow cooker.

Salt and pepper to taste (I added in a half teaspoon of salt. For you it will depend on how salty your chicken broth is).

Ladle soup into bowls and serve.

I'm using a split chicken breast with bone in. It's going to have a very strong onion flavor, just be warned. Personally, I'd go with a small onion.
    Last edited by kirinke; January 5th, 2019 at 05:46 PM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Well, I'm going for something different today for dinner

LEMON CHICKEN & LENTIL SOUP
    I've been looking for some new crockpot recipes and this one sounds delicious. Lowfat and full of protein. I think a chopped stalk of celery would be a good addition to this recipe. Gonna give it a go this weekend.

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User

Chicken Noodle Soup w/ Dill, Ginger, and Garlic

I posted this WAY back when I was more active on the boards. It's still one of my go-to recipes.

Ingredients:
    12 cups chicken broth
    3 medium carrots, diced
    2 large stalks celery, diced
    3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    6 cloves garlic, minced

4 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles, (3 cups)
    4 cups shredded cooked skinless chicken breast, (about 1 pound)
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    Juice from 1 lemon

Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven or Stockpot. Add carrots, celery, ginger and garlic. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add noodles and chicken; simmer until the noodles are just tender. Stir in dill and lemon juice. Serve.

Notes: I have added leeks or onions to this recipe. Simply saute 1 chopped leek or onion in olive oil or butter before adding broth. If you like garlic, add more - it won't overwhelm the recipe. However, don't get too nuts on the ginger because it can dominate the soup.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The soup didn't turn out too well for me. I put in too much onion I think. But the Baked Chicken Gyros I made rocked out loud.

Take 1 split chicken breast, season it how you like and pop it in the oven at 400 degrees until done. For me, it takes about 1.5 to 2 hrs depending on the size of the chicken.

Get some pita bread, simple salad fixings, Tzatziki Sauce and Hummus.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycorys View Post
    I posted this WAY back when I was more active on the boards. It's still one of my go-to recipes.

3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    Gick. Omit this secondmost-evil weed, and the rest of the recipe sounds pretty good.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Gick. Omit this secondmost-evil weed, and the rest of the recipe sounds pretty good.
    Did you just call Lyc a dillweed?
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Did you just call Lyc a dillweed?
    Well, they say you are what you eat...

But he's either named for licorice, or something referencing wolves. Maybe both.

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    The soup didn't turn out too well for me. I put in too much onion I think. But the Baked Chicken Gyros I made rocked out loud.

Take 1 split chicken breast, season it how you like and pop it in the oven at 400 degrees until done. For me, it takes about 1.5 to 2 hrs depending on the size of the chicken.

Get some pita bread, simple salad fixings, Tzatziki Sauce and Hummus.
    Enjoy.
    1 onion in 5 cups of both was too much? Hmmm.... I will saute the onion first to sweeten it up.

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Dill is an evil weed? Pretty sure dill pickles, and their voluminous sales will disagree.

Province
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, they say you are what you eat...

But he's either named for licorice, or something referencing wolves. Maybe both.
    It's from Licorice. An acquired, or despised taste.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    1 onion in 5 cups of both was too much? Hmmm.... I will saute the onion first to sweeten it up.
    I don't eat onions all that much, so it could have been just me.

Dill is an evil weed? Pretty sure dill pickles, and their voluminous sales will disagree.
    There's no accounting for taste. I mean, plenty of people eat that firstmost evil of weeds, cilantro.

And no, I don't eat dill pickles either. Sweet pickles (esp. bread n' butter chips) all the way for me. There's even the horror of people ruining PERFECTLY GOOD HAVARTI with dill. Travesty.

It's from Licorice. An acquired, or despised taste.
    Love it, though I can't abide that salty Italian nonsense. Svenska or Finnska is my fave*. Dark as deepest night and Nordic in origin.

Just like my heart.

*there's a 'tire-track' kind that has an oddly pleasant sort of coffee aftertaste that I get when I can find it. Delicious stuff.

• Page 151 of 156 FirstFirst ... 51101132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156 LastLast