Thread: Random Food Thoughts

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, it's a cold, windy day today, so I decided on chili.

2-Alarm Chili pack (I used real garlic instead of the dried garlic they provided)
    1 pack of stew meat
    1 pack of ground beef
    2 large cans of tomatoes
    1 can of dark red kidney beans (optional for those who subscribe to the no beans in chili mindset)
    Beef Broth or Bullion to taste (depending on what you got)

Brown your meat, drain it, dump it and the rest of the ingredients into a crock pot. Cook on high until it gets to a boil, then turn it down low until dinner. With this method, you don't need additional thickeners.

Optional sides:
    Rice
    Cornbread
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    There is something very satisfying about a good crusty baguette with fresh cold butter on it.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    There is something very satisfying about a good crusty baguette with fresh cold butter on it.
    I'll take mine with some chevre, instead. Though I do love getting bread from the co-op and putting honey and butter on it.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    Fresh bread from the oven with honey and real butter. Heaven.

A good second? Fresh bread, nicely toasted with peanut butter. It gets nice and melty.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Vienna
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Love it, though I can't abide that salty Italian nonsense. Svenska or Finnska is my fave*. Dark as deepest night and Nordic in origin.

Just like my heart.
    Funny. It's around the Baltic Sea where they use dill with almost everything, even more so than allspice. In Sweden, you use both, the fresh leaves in sauces and with fish and game, and if it's soups, pickles etc., you throw the top of the fully grown plant in ("krondill"). You also pour dill in generous amounts over the boiled potatoes that go with most dishes. It's hard to find anything that doesn't use dill. It's even in bread.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Turjan View Post
    Funny. It's around the Baltic Sea where they use dill with almost everything, even more so than allspice. In Sweden, you use both, the fresh leaves in sauces and with fish and game, and if it's soups, pickles etc., you throw the top of the fully grown plant in ("krondill"). You also pour dill in generous amounts over the boiled potatoes that go with most dishes. It's hard to find anything that doesn't use dill. It's even in bread.

Well, that just threw a spanner of unpleasantness into plans for a trip to Scandinavia and on to the Baltic to hunt amber, I guess.

I guess I'll have to just stick with the cardamom-raisin bread (lovelovelove that stuff!) that I get from Larsen's bakery up in Ballard when I go to Seattle, apparently that's a tradition, too. Though I forget if Larsen's folk came from Sweden or Denmark.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Serious question: When you eat pizza do you eat the peel or just the inner fruit?

I wouldn't even smirk at you.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Serious question: When you eat pizza do you eat the peel or just the inner fruit?
    Depends on how ripe it is.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, I tried golden gooseberries for the first time today. I mixed them with kiwi and strawberries. They were tasty, if a bit seedy. But then, I like that kind of fruit/berry.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Well, I tried golden gooseberries for the first time today. I mixed them with kiwi and strawberries. They were tasty, if a bit seedy. But then, I like that kind of fruit/berry.
    Fun fact: kiwis were originally called Chinese gooseberry.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Heh. I've always loved kiwi

• Page 152 of 152 FirstFirst ... 52102133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152