Thread: Random Food Thoughts

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I need to figure out how to get access to kangaroo meat where it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. I'm guessing someplace near Seattle would be best to look.

I occasionally think about that nicely-rare kangaroo burger I had at barter faire a couple years ago, and it makes my mouth water. That was some delicious meat.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Every endless form most beautiful
    Alive, aware, in awe
    Before the grandeur of it all
    Our floating pale blue ark
    Of endless forms most beautiful

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    When in doubt, try amazon.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    When in doubt, try amazon.
    Been there already, eyeballing some Rather Expensive Jerky. I'm more in the mood for some fresh meat.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Alive, aware, in awe

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Been there already, eyeballing some Rather Expensive Jerky. I'm more in the mood for some fresh meat.
    I hear plane tickets to Upsidedownlandia are cheap...
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Well they are an exotic meat right now. Try local farms and farmer markets, sometimes you get lucky.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Aidell's makes nice chicken sausage. Maybe try that?

I'm cooking quince today. Trying for another stab at membrillo. The last batch I made, I overcooked.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I hear plane tickets to Upsidedownlandia are cheap...
    I've actually got Oz as second on my list of Lifetime Places I Want To Hunt (though last time I looked, they had really weird, strict hunting regs). Africa of course being the first. More antelope species there than you can shake a stick at.

Now I just need to win the lottery....
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Alive, aware, in awe

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm thinking about making an oxtail-beef stew in the crock pot if I can find some oxtails. The weather is going to be nasty this weekend, so it kinda fits.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm thinking about making an oxtail-beef stew in the crock pot if I can find some oxtails. The weather is going to be nasty this weekend, so it kinda fits.
    Oddly enough, last weekend I was mentioning to the mate that I'd like to see if I could find oxtails locally to make oxtails and sauerkraut in the crock pot.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Alive, aware, in awe

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    HEB PLUS carries them. Sadly, they were out today, so I'm making do with a regular beef soup. You also might troll the Asian and Mexican markets and super-markets in those neighborhoods. They might even be actual ox-tails and not just beef-cattle tails. ^_^

They'd probably carry them there. If you have some friends or neighbors who raise cattle, I'm sure they'd be able to sell you some oxtails.

I'm doing something a bit different. Instead of stove top or crock pot cooking, I'm making the soup in a turkey roasting pan at 350 for at least 4 hrs. I'll see how it does.
    Last edited by kirinke; October 13th, 2018 at 07:47 PM.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    HEB PLUS carries them. Sadly, they were out today, so I'm making do with a regular beef soup. You also might troll the Asian and Mexican markets and super-markets in those neighborhoods. They might even be actual ox-tails and not just beef-cattle tails. ^_^

They'd probably carry them there. If you have some friends or neighbors who raise cattle, I'm sure they'd be able to sell you some oxtails.
    Yeah, they're definitely gettable here; not only do I know more than a few people who run cows on various pieces of land, but we have two small-scale local processors who are used to getting requests for stuff. I've gotten them to save me beef hearts, bought a 5-gal. bucket of fat scraps for rendering tallow, and during game-processing season, I've nabbed numerous elk ribcages from their free bins they have outside. Those are still in the tail end of "natural-cleaning" mode, but they will be used for some of my bonework crafts as well as ultimately ending up in my Singing Bone Tree project when I get enough cleaned bones for it.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Alive, aware, in awe

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Natural cleaning - rot and bugs doing their work.

I actually had to raise the temperature to 400 degrees, but the soup turned out well.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I have this germinating idea to make banana bread that is more like a Bananas Foster bread. Take a basic banana bread recipe, add more bananas in chunks with brown sugar & butter to make caramel-ey bits, some rum (or brandy) flavor...maybe a cream cheese swirl for richness and flavor contrast?

Hmmm. I may have to bake this weekend and do some experimenting.

If I wanted to get REALLY crazy, I suppose I could do some rum/brandy drench on the top to properly flambe it, I've heard that's done with fruitcake.
    Deep into the past
    Follow the aeon path
    Greet a blade of grass
    Alive, aware, in awe

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, I had some leftover turkey breast and a pack of 90 second and ready Uncle Ben's rice. So I made a quick gravy with water, chicken bullion, garlic powder, Tony C's and Italian seasoning and used corn starch to thicken it. Heated everything up and had a basic turkey and rice soup for dinner. I know, not exactly high cuisine, but it was a tasty and quick way to use left-overs.

• Page 149 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4999130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150 LastLast