Thread: Random Food Thoughts

*shrugs* Depends on what is meant by 'bad'. I eat medieval foods that most mundanes would look at and think "EWWW, GROSS!" and are actually quite good; blood is actually used as a soup/stew thickener in lots of recipes. And butchering my own sheep and goats, goat isn't 'gamey' if you've raised/prepared it properly, it simply has an actual flavor, unlike most of the bland, mushy meat you're going to get in your limited grocery-store offerings.

Don't know that I'd go for the brains/sweetbreads, though. Not out of 'Ewww, gross!" factor so much as I tend to shy away from consuming neural tissue. Because, prions. Brains are better used for tanning hides, and even then, they're hard to come by if you don't source them and crack some skulls firsthand yourself.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    These were intentionally prepared badly though.

I actually like lamb.
    Goat, it depends on how it's prepared.
    In fact I've enjoyed most game meats I've ever tried.

Gator though, I tried fried. It was... Chewy.
    Last edited by kirinke; April 13th, 2019 at 10:55 PM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Mostly for Para but others might also enjoy the historical methods of preserving fresh eggs...

I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Mostly for Para but others might also enjoy the historical methods of preserving fresh eggs...

Oh, I love the Jas Townsend guys!! I hadn't seen this one, but it was way cool. I knew about the dipping method in fat (or wax, though you'd have to use beeswax since paraffin isn't period), but the slaked-lime water one was totally new to me, and I am, of course, absolutely going to try it. Thank you. A handful of their cooking videos I've watched feature this big black guy who seems like he'd be A)an absolutely amazing cook, and B) utter hilarity and fun to be around.

Um...would you also believe or be surprised to know that I have a hoard of bricks of home-rendered beef tallow squirrelled away? There's a small-scale local processor that I have gotten bones from (in the cooler months, they have some bins outside their front that people can just help themselves to bones for their dogs or whatever. I saw three or four elk rib cages out in the bins one day, and snagged them for the future Singing Bone Tree, though I wasn't ready for them because I figured they'd be gone if I didn't get them quick, since I think they have some bone-render service that picks up every week. Anyhow, I went in one day, swung a 5-gal. bucket up on the counter and nonchalantly asked the guy how much it would be to fill it with beef suet, particularly visceral fat (which is nicer to render). He blinked in a somewhat mystified manner and said, "...uhhh....5 bucks?"

DEAL.

Then came the rendering. Outdoors (tallow can smell really gross), in a dutch oven, over a fire. You just have to keep the chooks away from the loaf pans you pour the liquid tallow into, because they'll peck the shit out of the bricks and eat it, which gives you a few bricks with beak-holes all over them. Ask me how I know.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I know you can make candles from tallow.

What sort of recipes call for rendered beef fat?
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    I know you can make candles from tallow.

You *could* do piecrust with really nice visceral tallow (I vaguely remember somewhere calling it 'leaf' or 'lace' tallow that's down by the intestines; I'm super-tired and can't quite recall), but lard is overall better.

I did the tallow-rendering because A) I wanted the experience/knowledge of rendering a large amount, and B)I have plans for rushlights, tallow-dips, comparing tallow candles with beeswax candles, handmade oil lamps and other primitive light sources, and tallow-soaked cattail torches.

The only one of those I've gotten round to so far is the cattail torches, and there's a flaw in that the stem right at the base of the corm tends to burn through, which makes the thing break and fall off and then you have what looks like a giant flaming turd rolling around that's difficult to put out. Second trial will involve dipping the cattail not quite all the way, maybe leaving an inch or so of un-tallowed corm, but I have to wait for this year's cattails in the fall.

Also, I still need to rub some tallow on those gar skins, I haven't gotten round to that yet, either.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Whole bunches of old recipes... but I imagine you could do a beef version of pemican up real nice.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Huh. I usually just cook with oil, butter or margarine. Never really worked with lard or beef fat.

Huh. I usually just cook with....margarine...

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post

Come on now, you already knew she was an idjit.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Come on now, you already knew she was an idjit.
    I bet you use it too.
    Last edited by kirinke; June 6th, 2019 at 12:47 AM.

Hey, if the recipe calls for it.
    Then substitute butter. Margarine is nasty and bad for you.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by cyphersmith View Post
    Then substitute butter. Margarine is nasty and bad for you.
    What if you're lactose intolerant? Just saying.

I'm not now, but I was as a kid, so I grew up with margarine instead of butter. As an adult, I use both, but because of those formative years, I prefer margarine (I use both very sparingly). It's a thing. I also don't much care for milk now either.

It also depends on the margarine you use and what you grew up with.
    Last edited by kirinke; June 6th, 2019 at 01:09 AM.

What if you're lactose intolerant? Just saying.
    That's what bacon grease is for*. Or if you're animal-averse, olive oil. Both are miles healthier than that margarine shit.

And I'm willing to bet that butter is very unlikely to bother lactose folks, being nearly pure fat.

edit: Oh look, intarwebs says that one serving of butter contains basically barely-registerable trace amounts of lactose and is exceedingly unlikely to bother lactose-intolerant people.

*said the girl who loves her cast iron. Also, flavor.
    Last edited by Palaralae; June 6th, 2019 at 01:20 AM.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Like I said, I use margarine and butter very sparingly nowadays.
    I'll also use bacon grease if I have it.

Mostly I use canola oil or olive oil for cooking.

I don't bake much at all, so I don't use either margarine or butter very often to be honest.
    Last edited by kirinke; June 6th, 2019 at 01:24 AM.

• Page 154 of 156 FirstFirst ... 54104135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156 LastLast