Thread: Random Food Thoughts

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I've had quail, which is delicious, and domesticated pigeon is squab. I don't remember having it. My family used to hunt wild game regularly, but despite the various birds we had (geese, ducks, quail, etc.) we never had pigeon. They were common in the butcher shops when I lived in Paris. I don't think they have lots of meat, but I suspect they're very good. I don't know that I'd want to eat pigeon that had been living in the city as god only knows what kinds of toxins they've eaten or absorbed.

I expect you'd pluck the feathers and gut it as you would any other bird.

Try this, and let me know how it turns out.
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/r...con-and-grapes
    Last edited by shiningbrow; May 16th, 2017 at 04:51 AM.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I've never had squab, but I've had quail and that's pretty darned good. Roast duck is darned good eating.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I love duck. Sometimes we make Julia Child's roast duck with Morello Cherry Sauce for Thanksgiving. It's so delicious. I used to live near NYC Chinatown and would go to a local butcher who would sell me half a roast duck. They usually used some kind of Five Spice mix on them. The meat would be warm and succulent. That was a great neighborhood to live in if you liked good food (NoLiTa).

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    The trick to good roast duck is to score the fatty side, then roast it fatty side down over a rack with a drip pan under that. Leastaways, that's how my sister did it and it turned out wonderful. Not greasy at all.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    I had some brownies at a party yesterday made from a recipe from a book by Maida Heatter. They were amazing.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I had some brownies at a party yesterday made from a recipe from a book by Maida Heatter. They were amazing.
    You'd think that they'd be too paper-y to be gpod.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    He's got a million of 'em. Try the salad bar. He'll be here all week!

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Maybe the recipe book is made from edible paper?

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    He's got a million of 'em. Try the salad bar. He'll be here all week!
    I also found it amusing that what you chose to relate on the delicious brownies was the pedigree of the recipe rather than any details on the brownies.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    ... was the pedigree of the recipe rather...
    Maybe that dog had legs?
    Hop on in, this rabbit hole is deep.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    I also found it amusing that what you chose to relate on the delicious brownies was the pedigree of the recipe rather than any details on the brownies.
    They were delicious chocolate brownies with walnuts. Hardly original in their contents. It was the flavor and texture that were outstanding. The origin/method of manufacture seemed to me the most relevant detail as I was intrigued enough to ask for the recipe and that reference to the book was the only thing I was given. Still, there's no pleasing some people.

I subsequently found several of the author's books and have not yet determined the exact recipe since she's produced several brownie recipes. But I leave it to you to bring Senate style contentiousness to something as innocent as a remark about a delicious dessert at a potluck.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    They were delicious chocolate brownies with walnuts. Hardly original in their contents. It was the flavor and texture that were outstanding. The origin/method of manufacture seemed to me the most relevant detail as I was intrigued enough to ask for the recipe and that reference to the book was the only thing I was given. Still, there's no pleasing some people.

I subsequently found several of the author's books and have not yet determined the exact recipe since she's produced several brownie recipes. But I leave it to you to bring Senate style contentiousness to something as innocent as a remark about a delicious dessert at a potluck.
    A pun is Senate style contentiousness? S'ok.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    Alot of cooks will adlib recipes, so it might be that what was produced isn't an exact match to what's in the book so to speak.

Tonight for dinner, I had slow cooked beef soup. It was pretty good. Tomorrow, leftovers for lunch!
    Last edited by kirinke; May 30th, 2017 at 09:58 PM.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    We once stopped somewhere in east Washington, DC at a roadside stand where a young woman served us up an amazingly delicious fish fillet sandwich with two large breaded fillets of fresh fish. My husband bought one, as his lunch hadn't been very satisfying. I was just thirsty and so I ordered a lemonade. It was magical, so refreshing and not too sweet, but clearly made with fresh fruit. We praised her for her food and discovered that she was a native of the island of St. Martin, where my in-laws live. We asked the recipe for the lemonade, and she smiled and said, "it's really a simple recipe."

The implication was that she was not giving it up, no how no way. Some cooks are like that. They'll give you a gentle shove in the right direction, but they won't tell you their secrets. After spending about 10k hours working up a variety of preserve recipes, I get it. There's a good deal of trial and error in one's culinary labors, so it's a bit much to expect one to give away intellectual property for free. But not revealing whose recipe the brownies came from? I guess it's up to me. We don't make lots of sweets around here so it will be a while before I get to figure this out.

And, yeah, I get the papery thing, ovi. Sometimes I suck at prepositions. It was a real trial when I was learning French.

Province
    Oratio
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    vCash

Ignore User
    With anything freshness counts. With lemonade, cold counts as well.

• Page 142 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4292123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147 LastLast