Thread: Bront's D20 Setting: Terra Virvacus v.92 (Feedback encouraged)

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User

Bront's D20 Setting: Terra Virvacus v.92 (Feedback encouraged)

Ok, I've been working on a D20 setting for a while, mostly for home campaigning, but it's also an excuse to write, get some of my ideas out, and collect all my interesting mechanical things (feats, PrCs, etc) into one spot. I'm at version .92 now. Why not version 1.0? Because I am having trouble getting feedback, still need to add more fluff, and playtest it a bit.

You can find the map here

The only firm locations I have are the orcish nation (the island in the middle) and Sylveran, which is a large city built like a cross between Sharn and Venice at the river delta here (Note, the rivers don't scale well, not sure why).

This is for version .92. I'll be running a playtest probably soon with this version (so I felt I should post it), and hope to flesh out a bit more of the setting in there. The thread recruiting for it is in Campus Martus

I'm offering bribes for good feedback (not "it's good/sucks"). Denari and/or Rep. I understand I'm not a perfect writer, so feel free to be critical, and as long as you aren't getting personal, I won't take it personal

The Name is tenitive, but I think I like it: Terra Virvacus

Version Notes (for anyone who's been following this)
    Spoiler:
    Version History:
    V.1-.7
    Lots of stuff

V.8
    -Adjusted war timeline to five hundred years from one thousand.
    -Added world history information
    -Added Cloistered Cleric and Spell List
    -Fixed minor typos and omitions

V.9
    -Added Magic Section
    -Added Several New Spells
    -Added Several (at least 10) Feats
    -Added notes on Action Points and Background Feats
    -Added Deity quick reference chart.
    -Added Shading to make tables easier to read.
    -Rearanged the location of a few items
    -Fixed minor typos and omitions
    -Added Credits section

V.91
    -Majorly Revised Orcs
    -Revised Layout for all races
    -Added notes and information about races
    -Exponded greatly on Halflings
    -Added extra notes about Humans
    -Added Prestiege Class (Anointed Hunter)
    -Added and revised some other rules
    -Made numerous formatting and editing fixes.
    -Slight revision to Gnome Weights

V.92
    -Added Minor Races section
    -Minor revision to Elves.
    -Changed the Human Entry
    -Added to Race section forward.
    -Added Languages of the World section
    -Minor notes added to the class section
    -Made adjustments to Magum.
    -Potential name for the setting (Terra Virvacus)
    -Reformated all tables to look pretty
    -Added the Archivist
    Attached Files Attached Files

not as long as my user title grodog's Avatar
    Province
    Wichita, KS, USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The map looks a bit like a partially-continental-plates-shifted Earth, with somewhat higher sea levels, viewed on the Pacific. Ish. Coincidence?

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by grodog View Post
    The map looks a bit like a partially-continental-plates-shifted Earth, with somewhat higher sea levels, viewed on the Pacific. Ish. Coincidence?
    Yes, I used a demo of Fractile Terraigns to create it. I did have to raise the Island in the middle.

Province
    Texas
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm reading it at work, so I am going at it slow. I have found a couple of small word choice (lay for ley in ley line for instance, which may be purposeful). or spelling issues, but I'm sure you want deeper feedback than that.

Right off the bat, it looks good. The organization is good, and more than enough detail to start a campaign.

Any aspect in particular you want thoughts on?

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Anything is good, even things like word choice errors which could be from Word's spellchecking. Mechanica feedback, flavor ideas, things that are missing that you think need to be added, etc.

I worked on organizing it in what seemed to me to be a logical manner, and the Table of Contents and book organization being easy to use was important to me. While there's not a lot of detail about specific locations in the world, I'm hoping that there's enough general info to make due while I flesh out the setting itself.

On a side note, anyone good with maps think they could help me? I'm not (I suck at graphics in almost every way), and was hoping to get some work done on that at some point.

Province
    MN
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I might be able to help a little with maps. I am not good, but I am attempting to get better making them and having a project to work on might help.

Here is one I took of Diehard Murphy's pencil sketch and redid it in photoshop.

Here is one of my own, a white dragon's lair.

A slice of an old campaign map.

Province
    Texas
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I like the variant of elf presented here, and I am curious wether non spellcasting elves may improve their abiities with feats.

Orcs are very different from the traditional. I like the relation to Orcas rather than the normal foul spawning or inherantly evil background so common. The galatea feats are tailored for them. Do you have similar ideas for the other races as well?

Racial tensions seem to be a big theme in this, and I am not sure whether it better suits your storytelling to enchance this with very specialized racial abilities and options, or to maintain the usual dnd distinctions.

Battle sorceror is a nice addition. It seems to be a variant of the battle mage from Complete Arcane (I think that's where I saw it.) I think some nice alternate abilities or feats would compliment the class well. For instance you may want to give it a small selection of bonus feats, or simply make feats available for purchase with he normal level based feats that do things like grant access to all martial weapons, or give medium armor proficiency, perhaps a reserve style feat allowing use of a shield like ability equal to the highest level spell uncast.

Are the Cloistered Cleric and the Archivist so distinct from one another to be meaningful as base classes in your world?

I like the noble. A lot. I'd been playing with a version not to dissimilar from yours in my Iron Heroes game. Mine stole some concepts from the noble in star wars 2nd edition, Rokugan, and the Game of Thrones. Yours is nice, seems pretty balanced for d20 and has the options I think a class like this should have. Its a good balance of skills, and the ability to specialize in martial or social aspects. I like it very much. A few more social abilities would be nice, contacts, the ability to defray costs by using ones name, etc. Maybe even a cohort ability.

What am I missing in your sorceror entry that has changed?

Mounted Cleave is hot. Sexy Hot.

I'll keep reading, but wanted to give you these thoughts as I go.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    For the Orcs, oddly enough Galatea was one of the few things I just took from Living Enworld wholesale (As writen by Rystil Arden/Rogue Elideon), as I liked her and the feats. I had to redo them several times, but I loved what they ended up with (got some help here from several sources), and I had pondered renaming them till the Orca idea hit me So no, I didn't have ideas to augment other races like that, but it's something worth looking into, particularly with Elves and Gnomes.

Racial Tensions were nessessary to explain the killing of the humans, and I like that the way things are going, it's a mixed back, anything from full integration to outright segrigation at times. It allows for campaigns to ignore or use it as they choose, and choice is a good thing for a DM.

Actualy, the Battle Sorcerer is the UA variant, with a few slight modifications (Skills/Skillpoints mostly). The Sorcerer's big change other than skills/skill points is the 1 knowns and 0 cast spells at odd levels to enter new spell levels. So if your Cha is high enough, you can cast 1 third level spell at 5th level Sorcerer. Basicly, it removes their biggest weakness (being 1/2 level behind wizards) and opens up some PrCs for them that they would function better in other than for that specific reason.

Cloistered Cleric functions like a Cleric still. Archivist need not even be religious. I had to think about it, but it is a significant difference. Cloistered Cleric still gets domains (and 1 bonus domain), and turn undead for example.

Yeah, the Noble is something that took me some time to perfect, the only real big change being the limit on getting bonus feats (which had it oddly competing with the fighter). I've always wanted to expand the abilities, but I haven't been able to find a good one to add that I thought wasn't already sorta covered, and it's fairly comprehensive as it is. One thing that did occure to me is I should have made a mention that the Wealth ability shouldn't count against a characters wealth from an average wealth expectancy if the GM is tracking that.

Yeah, Mounted Cleave is fun. I still haven't gotten a chance to use it, but it felt needed, as Mounted Combat often feels like it gets little love. It goes well with an Outrider.
    Last edited by Bront; October 19th, 2007 at 12:32 AM.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    I might be able to help a little with maps. I am not good, but I am attempting to get better making them and having a project to work on might help.
    Nice stuff.

My 3 biggest hurdles on map making is I'm bad with graphics, I'm bad with naming things, and I've been lax on developing the current (and possibly former) nations and boarders.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Stuff from .93 that I'm in the process of working on.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Sylveran: City of Hope
    Sylveran, called the City of Hope by some, was once the capitol of the Elven Nation and stands as a testament to what racial unity can achieve. The city has always been a haven to trade, resting on where the Alant River flows into the River Styrge. However, the Racial War took a heavy toll and nearly destroyed the city. All of the races came together and helped rebuild the city, making it unique as one of the few places where Halfling and Dwarven craftsmanship is tempered by Elven and Gnome aesthetics, and waterways and docks of Orcish construct.

Sylveran has many canals through out the base of the city, as well as a few water lifts to move cargo to and from the city. There are numerous boats and gondolas used to navigate the city. However, it is also built up, with towers and buildings all around the city. Sky roads and cable lifts help people and cargo move around the upper part of the city. The remains of the old city lie underneath in some parts of the city, and while officially abandoned, there are still some who call it home.

Galantra: The Orcish Nation
    Galantra is the once and current Orcish Nation. Dedicated initially to Galatea, goddess followed by many Orcs, it is still the only remaining racial nation. While not wholly made up of Orcs, it is still mostly orcish, and run by Orcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Knights of the Last War
    While nearly everyone else has moved on from the racial war, there is an organization made up almost entirely of elves that continues the Racial War, to make sure of the extermination of humans. The Knights don’t operate as an open organization, but whispers of their existence are common enough that they are not unknown though out much of the world. Honor bound to keep the dangers of humans away from the newfound harmony of the racial integration, these Knights hunt down rumors of remaining humans. The Knights themselves tend to be harsh on Half-Elves as well, and view them as anything from a reminder of how they must be vigilant to an abomination caused by humans to be removed as well.
    Last edited by Bront; October 21st, 2007 at 07:23 AM.