Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: [Wilderlands PbP] Character creation

Province
    The Mountain of Flowers and Fruit
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
    Try to keep up, Sniffles.

And, cure minor wounds isn't an automatic shoe-in for the at-will slot? It's nearly the very reason why I have the house-rule. It keeps the action going longer.
    Okay, I surrender. Cure minor wounds it is.
    The power of Monkey is irrepressible!

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I am going with detect magic. I've been so busy, my bad for not getting Molly updated yet

But ugh - Molly and Sabina are ending up with the same spells!
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." — Albert Einstein

Ruby Selari Molly

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Molly Jolan (Violet Blossom) Turunak

Female Human Sorcerer 8th Level
    NG medium humanoid
    18 years old
    5' 10", 136 pounds, long raven black hair and violet eyes

Init +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Init); Senses: Perception: +2

Action Points: 9

AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+0 armor, +2 Dex, +0 size, misc. mods)
    HP 62 (max first level, 5,4,5,4,5,4,5 plus 8 from human bonus per level+ 16 Con)
    Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven
    Senses 120' Darkvision, can see invisible and ethereal creatures within 120'

Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +8 (+2 for 7th level Fated bonus)
    Spd 30 ft.
    Base Atk +4; Grp +3; Melee +3; Ranged +6

Abilities
    Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 23*
    *Cloak of Charisma +2

Feats
    Eschew Material Sorcerer bonus
    Touch of Grace 0 Level
    Skill Focus: Diplomacy 1st level
    Improved Initiative 3rd level
    Soul Mate 4th level bonus feat
    Heroic Destiny 4th level feat (1/day add 1d6 to any attack roll, ability check, skill check, saving throw, or caster level)
    Improved Familiar 7th level bloodline feat Faerie Dragon
    Spell Penetration 7th level feat

Skills

Acrobatics +2, Appraise +2, Bluff +6, Climb -1, Diplomacy +17, Disguise +5, Escape Artist +2, Intimidate +6, Knowledge: Arcana +15, Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty +6, Knowledge: Planes +4, Perception +12, Perform: Dance +7, Perform: Sing +8, Ride +6, Sense Motive +2, Spellcraft +16, Stealth +2, Survival 0, Swim -1

*+1 to Spellcraft and Knowledge(Arcana), also Knowledge: Planes +1 and also now a class skill due to reading the book. The Book

Molly is a descendant of the DESTINED Bloodline.

Spoiler:
    Destined
    Your family is destined for greatness in some way. Your birth could have been foretold in prophecy, or perhaps it occurred during an especially auspicious event, such as a solar eclipse. Regardless of your bloodline's origin, you have a great future ahead of you.
    Class Skill: Knowledge (history).
    Bonus Spells: alarm (3rd), blur (5th), protection from energy (7th), freedom of movement (9th), break enchantment (11th), mislead (13th), spell turning (15th), moment of prescience (17th), foresight (19th).
    Bonus Feats: Arcane Strike, Diehard, Endurance, Leadership, Lightning Reflexes, Maximize Spell, Skill Focus (Knowledge [history]), Weapon Focus.

Future Powers:
    Spoiler:
    It Was Meant To Be (Su): At 9th level, you may reroll any one attack roll, critical hit confirmation roll, or level check made to overcome spell resistance. You must decide to use this ability after the first roll is made but before the results are revealed. You must take the second result, even if it is worse. At 9th level, you can use this ability once per day. At 17th level, you can use this ability twice per day.
    Within Reach (Su): At 15th level, your ultimate destiny is drawing near. Once per day, when an attack or spell that causes damage would result in your death, you may attempt a DC 20 Will save. If successful, you are instead reduced to –9 hit points and are automatically stabilized. The bonus from your fated ability applies to this save.
    Destiny Realized (Su): At 20th level, your moment of destiny is at hand. Any critical threats made against you only confirm if the second roll results in a natural 20 on the die. Any critical threats you score are automatically confirmed. Once per day, you can automatically succeed at one caster level check made to overcome spell resistance. You must use this ability before making the roll.

Bloodline Powers: You are destined for great things, and the powers that you gain serve to protect you and fulfill your destiny.

Touch of Destiny (Su): Starting at 1st level, you can touch a creature as a standard action to give it a bonus to a single attack roll, skill check, ability check, or saving throw equal to half your caster level (minimum +1). This bonus lasts 3
    rounds or until it is used. Once a creature has benefited from touch of destiny, it can gain no further benefit from this ability for 1 day.

Fated (Su): Starting at 3rd level, you gain a +1 luck bonus on all of your saving throws during surprise rounds or if you are otherwise unaware of the attack. At 7th level and every four levels thereafter, this bonus increases by +1, to a
    maximum +5 at 19th level.

Spells Per Day (Sor -/8/8/6/4):
    0 -- Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Resistance
    1st -- Alarm*, Enlarge Person, Magic Missile, Protection From Evil,Sleep +1
    2nd -- Blur*, Invisibility, Scorching Ray +1
    3rd -- Fireball, Protection From Energy*, Haste
    4th one (suggestions: Dimension door, secure shelter, scrying, ball lightning, ice storm, greater invisibility?)

DC's -
    0 level - 16
    1st level - 17
    2nd level - 18
    3rd level - 19

*Spells from Destined Bloodline, can't be switched out

Magic:
    Wand: Fireball (5th level) (Charges: 6) (1,125 gp).
    Scroll: caster level 7 web
    Cloak of Charisma +2
    Chime of Opening
    Bag of Holding Type II
    Pearl of Power (level 1)
    Ring of Blinking
    Robe of Eyes

Combat Gear
    Dagger, Cold Iron +1 (1d4-1DMG) (+2 BAB, -1 Str, +0 size, +0 weapon quality, 0 feat)
    Light Crossbow +4 (1d8DMG) (+2 BAB, +2 Dex, +0 size, +0 weapon quality, +0 feat)
    *50 Bolts, crossbow

Possessions
    Coin: 5075gp; 12 sp; 18cp;
    Goods: Backpack; Bedroll; 2 pieces Chalk, Magnifying Glass; Mirror, small steel; Sewing needle; Soap 3 lbs; Waterskin; 4 Sunrod; Blanket, Winter; Horse plus saddle, (4 large mirrors, Cart)
    Purchased at Faire: Wedding gown, fairy costume with wings and mask, dresses, corsets, boots, undergarments, hair accessories, paper and ink, cold weather outfit,
    Gifts: Amethyst floral pendant, Scented soaps
    Treasure Molly is holding onto: Magical Leather Pouch with trail rations
    Other Treasure: Various furniture and household tools
    Books from cultists lair: several on the nature of death, a holy text to Kelemvor , fiction books, a children's book, and a book entitled "The Last Unicorn".
    Map: Old, valuable map from Russ of the Wilderlands

Background Info:

Spoiler:
    Larissa Jolan Kaelissi (Molly Jolan) grew up the daughter of two nobles in Damkina - a relatively quiet city nestled in a lake called Vast Lake a month's travel to the west of Norgood. Damkina is actually smaller than Norgood, but that's mostly because the island itself is relatively small. Like Norgood, Damkina holds a large market every Fall and the population swells considerably (to thousands) during that time.

Damkina is supplied by Bighsdale (a Dwarven mining community) and food by a small community called Quinden, which consists mostly of Halfling farmers.

Molly is actually quite naive about what her noble parents do, but despite the lack of food in Damkina as of late, due to all the merchant vessels being destroyed by goblins and gargoyles, her family seemed to be doing ok for themselves. They are not very open to what it is they do and any questions by Molly were immediately ignored and she was reprimanded for being nosy, unbecoming of the lady they expected her to be.

Molly never felt close to them, by and large, they are parents by proxy, and Molly was mostly raised by her nanny. They really only interacted with her to reprimand her for something or if they needed something from her. Often her parents were away for extended periods on business trips leaving her alone in their city manor. But she was always confined to the manor, her father told her he was worried someone would take advantage of her beauty and naïveté. He always referred to her as a foolish girl. She was close to her nanny, who took the time to teach her about life and help her learn how to control her magical ability, which her parents attempted to hide.

During this time, in lieu of real experiences, Molly read books to experience things. She took a strong liking to the goddess Sune and her teachings; specifically about love and romance, marrying for love and making sure to honor and respect beauty and goodness in the world. This greatly shaped Molly’s views of life.

Before Molly fled, her parents seemed very interested in having her marry an eccentric man nearly twice her age named Cardonius. This man, though terribly charismatic, gave her a vile and disgusting vibe that she just weren’t comfortable with and coupled with the fact she would never love him, she knew it was time to leave. She knew her parents were keen for this match as Cardonius was a respected and wealthy member of the city, and she often wondered what price her parents had sold her for.

Molly fled Damkina at great risk to herself; the goblins attacks have become so brazen lately, but she managed to get out undetected and made the month’s travel safely to Norwood hidden. She took the name of her nanny, Molly, and tried to remain as hidden as her beauty would allow. Only recently has she opened up to her friends about her past. She is also fearful that her family will find her and force her to fulfill the arrangement, returning her to the man she would rather die than be with.

She became friends with a small group of fellow adventurers in the town of Norwood. One she has known from the beginning, the paladin Ambrin, who has been a dear, trusted and loved friend of hers. Not long after she met him the barbarian Omik joined with their group. Molly started developing feelings for Ambrin but the passionate and persistent barbarian swooped in and stole her heart. Not too long ago they married in a secret midnight wedding in the meadow outside of Norgood.

HPs ( 1d6=5, 1d6=4, 1d6=5, 1d6=4)
    Last edited by Queenie; November 23rd, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." — Albert Einstein

Ruby Selari Molly

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm choosing between a celestial hawk or a ferret as an improved familiar. Anyone use a ferret before? Besides actually owning one, I don't know much about them in game terms.

Ruby Selari Molly

Province
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    I'm choosing between a celestial hawk or a ferret as an improved familiar. Anyone use a ferret before? Besides actually owning one, I don't know much about them in game terms.
    Ferrets aren't improved. They are regular familiars.

seems to me, that if you're going to take Improved familiar, you should wait until 5th or 7th, and then get a really interesting familiar.

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Ferrets aren't improved. They are regular familiars.

seems to me, that if you're going to take Improved familiar, you should wait until 5th or 7th, and then get a really interesting familiar.
    Good point about the ferrets. to me.

Are we going to still be playing at 5th and 7th level? I have such bad luck with pbp games... this one is going along great and I totally enjoy it, I Just don't want to jinx it by planning ahead. I'd love to have a pseudodragon

Ruby Selari Molly

Province
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Good point about the ferrets. to me.

Are we going to still be playing at 5th and 7th level? I have such bad luck with pbp games... this one is going along great and I totally enjoy it, I Just don't want to jinx it by planning ahead. I'd love to have a pseudodragon
    There's enough game here to max the party out at 8th (since it's an E8 game).

I've no intentions of stopping. It's the only game I'm running at the moment.

Province
    The Mountain of Flowers and Fruit
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I've never used a ferret - I tend to prefer Improved familiars - but I once had a ferret familiar cleverly used against my character. An enemy sorcerer sent his ferret in as a distraction and my character was the only one awake to see it. Unfortunately he failed his Sense Motive check to figure out what was going on, and just stood there gawking at the dancing ferret until the bad guys attacked.

Celestial hawk requires Improved Familiar. I'm running a wizard with a celestial hawk familiar in my other Wilderlands game. It's awesome, but that's partly because I'm using elf wizard substitution levels, so I get extra bonuses from my familiar. But she can't deliver touch spells for me.
    The power of Monkey is irrepressible!

Province
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Anyone thinking of embarking into item creation at some point should download this:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hmj2zmwundk

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I have decided that this will be an "E8" game, meaning that classes cease gaining levels after level 8. This is an E6 variant.

So, consider that if you have plans to take a specific Prestige Class at some point.
    Are we still doing this, given we aren't switching to 4.0?

Also, alchemy is just the old alchemy skill I take it?

Ruby Selari Molly

Province
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Are we still doing this, given we aren't switching to 4.0?

Also, alchemy is just the old alchemy skill I take it?
    Well, it's up the players, I guess.

If everyone wants to switch to 4th edition, we can explore that, but 3 of the classes and one of the races aren't represented in 4e, so I'm not sure how viable that is.

I'd prefer to move to Pathfinder, but I see no hurry in doing that, the beta version isn't out yet.

I'm happy with sticking with 3.5 for now.

As far as E8 is concerned, I'd prefer to stick with that. If we want to eliminate E8, and just have the game go all the way to 20th level, or beyond, we can discuss that as well. I've adjusted elements of the module (shaved off entire levels) and lowered key NPCs in the town to account for the e8 feel - and I like it, it makes it more realistic. If everyone doesn't want to do e8, let me know.

Let's have that discussion. I want to do what everyone wants to do. E8/3.5 or E8/Pathfinder is my preference. But I'm flexible.

Province
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oratio

Ignore User
    And yes, Alchemy is just the old Alchemy skill. I prefer Alchemy as opposed to knowledge(alchemy), though it matters little.

I like both the idea of Pathfinder, and E8 so far. I haven't really looked very hard at the Pathfinder stuff since it was still in flux, but what I did see I liked a lot.

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I don't have experience with either. DW says Pathfinder is very cool and he thinks with the 4.e debacle it will become very popular. E8 is probably fine too although I can't imagine not improving after a certain point. I'm up for either.

I don't really want to switch to 4e, too many of our characters won't work. I like Molly and would like to keep playing her (not make her into something else radically different).

As for alchemy, if Beppo has a shot at identifying potions I'll leave it to him. Doesn't sound like something Molly would have been easily taught back home with books.

Ruby Selari Molly

Fenris
    I don't have experience with either. DW says Pathfinder is very cool and he thinks with the 4.e debacle it will become very popular. E8 is probably fine too although I can't imagine not improving after a certain point.
    It's not that you don't improve, you just don't get more class levels. You do continue to gain feats. One feat every 5,000 XP or whenever DK feels like it

I am up for either. Pathfinder works and is accessible, but as it is still changing it may be better to wait. So 3.5 works well. I'd rather not shift to 4e, but would go with the group.

As for E8, I am enjoying the game to rock on. I can't image any decisions being made because of E8 that wither couldn't be undone or would matter. I say let's stick with E8 until at least 6th level and see where we are. We can decide then how to proceed. I enjoy lower level play so were we are is great by me.

I have the pdfs for E6 if anyone needs them, there are a few extra feats that come about that help people refine their character for E6, but I'll let DK decide on those when and if we need them.

• Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast