Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The art of translating Crazy.

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    And for the record, I have apologized to Dangergirl for the way I went about things.
    "All sparkly & dark at the same time. Sort of like twilight flavored rainbows with a hint of razorblades." --Kwyjibo, in JC's head

Province
    Somewhere wet and muddy.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil_Upchurch View Post
    And for the record, I have apologized to Dangergirl for the way I went about things.
    Then the conversation's over.

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    I'm the guy who was quite happy to not mention Twin Rose's debt to anyone (but him in private) until I arrived in Indy and found he'd informed everyone already. And believe me, that pissed me off a lot more than I can imagine the photo annoyed you.

Time and a place, I guess. Sometimes you guys say things publically that I wouldn't dream of doing (on the internet - I don't know if you do it in person). I see it as "rudeness"; you see it as "honesty". Thus we end up with chatdemon's "IT's TEH TOOOOOOOF!!!!" reasoning, which apparently excuses any degree of obnoxiousness if it's "true". You're nowhere near his (or DDK's) league of course (I hope!), but the basic principle is the same.
    Yes, I absolutely agree with you. I've certainly done things on the internet in the past that I'm atoning for, and am liable to fuck up again. It's not my intention to be rude to anyone out there, but hey this is Self-Flagellation so I'm kicking it up a bit for old time's sake. I can only say so many times that I regret how I went about things in that thread, but that I don't regret the sentiment or the result.
    "All sparkly & dark at the same time. Sort of like twilight flavored rainbows with a hint of razorblades." --Kwyjibo, in JC's head

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Actually it's this exact argument that boggles me a little, but I do live in California.

Just to articulate this point, now that we're in the SF where we can peel back the layers and obsess over dramatic naysaying, do you really consider it a possibility that an employer would think twice about hiring someone if they dug that deep online to find such a relatively harmless picture?

I mean honestly, I feel like if you dig that deep on ANYone, you're going to find something irreverent/mildly offensive/disrespectful on some level.
    Yeah, you live in California, alright.

See, it doesn't matter what net culture is, or what California culture is. Most people who do the hiring in this country would be shocked by a picture of one woman grabbing another woman's boob. Shocked enough that they would question hiring either of the people? Quite possibly, yes. Especially if it's a job working with children, or where public image is important, or where "enemies" (rivals might be a better word here) might possibly go digging for dirt.

Is it reasonable? Of course it isn't. But it is reality in much of the US.

The ENNIE Award Winning... kiznit's Avatar
    Province
    Xanadu
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Heh. Still, two threads over something that was handled is a bit much I think. Like Dangergirl said, she's satisified with the results, so don't try to Spoony something that isn't to that level.
    Hey, this is SF... The forum literally put aside to handle needless drama, callings out, and obsessing over miscommunication and asshat behavior on the internets.

If you're going to bring that common sense stuff in here, I ain't buying it.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yes, I absolutely agree with you. I've certainly done things on the internet in the past that I'm atoning for, and am liable to fuck up again. It's not my intention to be rude to anyone out there, but hey this is Self-Flagellation so I'm kicking it up a bit for old time's sake. I can only say so many times that I regret how I went about things in that thread, but that I don't regret the sentiment or the result.
    Confuscius say: Reality is fleeting. The internet is forever.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerGirl! View Post
    Just wanted to pop in here and say something: I asked DivineO to take the picture down because I realized it was quite stupid to leave it on the internet for the world to see.

The picture was taken in good fun, but I have a lot of personal experience with things on the internet biting me in the proverbial ass. Remember, if you will, my name is frequently spoken when defining the term "Melkor."

As such, I never would have posted the picture and was quite embarrassed to see that DivineO had... and I felt even more embarrassed when Wil and GG had sort of called me out. I went from feeling like I had done something kinda stupid to having done something really stupid and so I wanted it taken down.

While I felt that Wil was very harsh towards DivineO, I appreciated the fact that he (and GG) saw fit to speak up when they were surprised by my behavior.
    DangerGirl, I love you like the sister I always wanted. I think you're smart, and beautiful, and strong, and all-around incredible. And I have every expectation that you will accomplish amazing things in your career and life.

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Hey, this is SF... The forum literally put aside to handle needless drama, callings out, and obsessing over miscommunication and asshat behavior on the internets.

If you're going to bring that common sense stuff in here, I ain't buying it.
    I agree, sometimes it's good to kick it old school and just enjoy the ride. I ain't taking this shit personally, is anyone else?

You fucking SoCal fruit.

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Confuscius say: Reality is fleeting. The internet is forever.

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Girl View Post
    DangerGirl, I love you like the sister I always wanted. I think you're smart, and beautiful, and strong, and all-around incredible. And I have every expectation that you will accomplish amazing things in your career and life.
    See if I said that two things would happen:

-The Universe would bring out the big green gun on me.
    -Aeson would try to induct me into his club.

So I'll just QFT.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I agree, sometimes it's good to kick it old school and just enjoy the ride. I ain't taking this shit personally, is anyone else?

You fucking SoCal fruit.
    SoCal fruit? Is that the best you can do choirboy?
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Central PA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I work for the Navy and I've seen a lot worse. Just sayin'.

Province
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastil View Post
    I work for the Navy and I've seen a lot worse. Just sayin'.
    What part of blue collar vs. white collar don't you understand?

The ENNIE Award Winning... kiznit's Avatar
    Province
    Xanadu
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Girl View Post
    Yeah, you live in California, alright.

See, it doesn't matter what net culture is, or what California culture is. Most people who do the hiring in this country would be shocked by a picture of one woman grabbing another woman's boob. Shocked enough that they would question hiring either of the people? Quite possibly, yes. Especially if it's a job working with children, or where public image is important, or where "enemies" (rivals might be a better word here) might possibly go digging for dirt.

Is it reasonable? Of course it isn't. But it is reality in much of the US.
    But the crazy shit you find on the internet is so ubiquitous and crazy, it's a devil's door - if you open it, don't be shocked by the brimstone. I feel like people shocked by that would be shocked by pretty much ANYthing they found at, say, Circvs Maximvs or any other online place where people let their hair down.

If I was hiring someone and found out they posted at CM, I'm sure I'd find
    • Political Opinions I disapprove of
    • Avatar choices that seem exploitive and/or crude
    • Obsession about zombies, demons, role-playing games with evil priests
    • People being rude to other people, calling them names
    • Etc., etc.

Any of these taken out of context could affect such an employment situation. Yet we all post happily on operating under the assumption that we are pebbles in a sea of the internet. Is it so different for such a playful and innocuous image of sexuality? I'll admit, maybe it is - but it does seem peculiar that this one thing raises such a red flag for you guys, and maybe deserves being examined as to why that is.

Province
    Ohio
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So this is what we were trying to help you achieve in Chat today Shell?

• Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast