Thread: NFL Combine...

Robin visits my colon Citizen Mane's Avatar
    Province
    Spring Hill, MA
    Oratio

Ignore User

NFL Combine...

I don't know who's a football fan here, but I was reading Charles Robinson's recent column on the NFL scouting combine and saw this little nugget that made me shake my head:
    NFL Network – The network was a winner for the second straight year, even though the festivities lacked the Maurice Clarett drama. While 26 hours of live coverage seemed excessive, it actually came off well. The analysts, player interviews and news updates kept the shows from being too bland, and the on-field cameras during drills gave fans a chance to hear what the coaches were teaching. One suggestion for next year, though: a handful of Hollywood-style feature stories – like those on typical pregame shows during the regular season. They would definitely add to the entertainment value.
    And, I thought to myself, "how can someone that hates football write football columns?" Here's the thing: if you're watching live coverage of the NFL combine, then you probably don't want that type of pre-packaged, saccharine fluff that they put on the pre-game shows. Simply amazing. Every year, folks like Dr. Z at CNNSI.com and Bill Simmons at ESPN's Page 2 rail about bad play-by-play and analysis that focuses too much on storyline, and we still get things like this from the media.

Aside from that, anyone have a take on Young's Wonderlic scores or anything else draft related? I'm ready for baseball to start, but I always enjoy the NFL draft. Just fun stuff.

Nick

I never found the NFL Draft that interesting. It's nice to know where a few kids go, or who your favorite teams selects but moslty it's about how much money these kjids get and I don't give a shit about their earnings.

The Wonderlic test I found to be a joke and I'm amazed that anyone can score so low on it. It proves that college's don't prepare football players at all and really reflects the lack of education these kids get.

Province
    The Clockworks
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Mane
    I'm ready for baseball to start
    I think I'm one of about 300 people in the US that is looking forward to the MLS starting back up. Vamos United!
    A mature person is one who does not think only in absolutes, who is able to be objective even when deeply stirred emotionally, who has learned that there is both good and bad in all people and in all things, and who walks humbly and deals charitably with the circumstances of life, knowing that in this world no one is all knowing and therefore all of us need both love and charity.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

More then 300 people waiting for MLS, we have a decent fan base here for our team. WEll over 300. It's like 350

Province
    Spring Hill, MA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyn McTwitch
    I think I'm one of about 300 people in the US that is looking forward to the MLS starting back up. Vamos United!
    I actually like MLS, and I watched the championship game with my roommate last fall (he played soccer, so he actually can explain things to me as far as rules and whatnot, where I, despite playing my share of FIFA on the N64 and PC, am completely clueless). I think it's a shame that more Americans don't get into it, but there's some hardwired tension there (see Klosterman, Chuck, and Deford, Frank).

Province
    Spring Hill, MA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Underpants Gnome
    I never found the NFL Draft that interesting. It's nice to know where a few kids go, or who your favorite teams selects but moslty it's about how much money these kjids get and I don't give a shit about their earnings.
    I like it because it's one of the few drafts where things actually matter. In baseball, players may/may not make it to the majors and as long as foreign players aren't subject to the draft, it's going to be only quasi-relevant IMO. The second round of the NBA draft is useless, and I've never paid much attention to the NHL draft. But in the NFL, with its salary cap and all (although that's up for debate now that collective bargaining talks have fallen apart), rookies make a huge difference, and the draft can make or break your team. Teams with mismanaged drafts (*cough*Lions*cough*) look drastically different from teams that draft well (like the Pats, who seem to be the stock example for a well-drafted team).
    The Wonderlic test I found to be a joke and I'm amazed that anyone can score so low on it. It proves that college's don't prepare football players at all and really reflects the lack of education these kids get.
    As a test of what you've learned in college, I think the Wonderlic is pretty much useless anyhow, so I wouldn't ascribe any relevance as to it as far as educating football players is concerned; education and athletics is an entirely different issue. What amazes me is that he wasn't prepared for the exam, judging by the reported score (6/50). It's a colossal failure on both his part and his agent's part. You have almost nothing else to do. How do you not work on prepping yourself for a test like this?

Oooh, you're makin' my heart ache. I love love love soccer, and I used to be a pretty fair sportswriter. The sad thing is that Deford is perfectly representative of his generation - these guys seriously at some level equate footie with Leninism or something.

Fuck 'em. They're old and weak now, and when the USA wins the World Cup in 2010 they'll be first against the wall. Or... uh ... something.

Province
    Spring Hill, MA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by ScyldSceafing
    Oooh, you're makin' my heart ache. I love love love soccer, and I used to be a pretty fair sportswriter. The sad thing is that Deford is perfectly representative of his generation - these guys seriously at some level equate footie with Leninism or something.
    Deford makes me nuts anyhow. His columns are good, but they're so...rigid. He's like the Andy Rooney of sports journalism.

As a test of what you've learned in college, I think the Wonderlic is pretty much useless anyhow, so I wouldn't ascribe any relevance as to it as far as educating football players is concerned; education and athletics is an entirely different issue. What amazes me is that he wasn't prepared for the exam, judging by the reported score (6/50). It's a colossal failure on both his part and his agent's part. You have almost nothing else to do. How do you not work on prepping yourself for a test like this?
    He got a 16 not a 6, the 6 was a misprint or misreported. Young wasn't prepared for the test becasue he hired friends and people he knew as agents and personel. He should have gone with a profesional agent or someone who knew what they were doing a little more.

Province
    Spring Hill, MA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    He got a 16 not a 6, the 6 was a misprint or misreported. Young wasn't prepared for the test becasue he hired friends and people he knew as agents and personel. He should have gone with a profesional agent or someone who knew what they were doing a little more.
    Ah, I had still only seen the 6. Still, that's a weak, weak score for a QB.

Ah, I had still only seen the 6. Still, that's a weak, weak score for a QB.
    I think its a weak score for fourth grader.....

overdue for an ass-kicking! Kafitrar's Avatar
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Rick Reilly of Sports Illustrated wrote a column on the Wonderlic back in 2001. Among the scores he wrote about was Dan Marino's 16. He didn't turn out too badly.