Thread: reveal's Daily Trivia 4.26.19

reveal's Daily Trivia 4.26.19

Weekend edition!

1) What is the third-largest island in Australia?

2) Whose tombstone features the epitaph "He never killed a man that did not need killing"?

3) What was the legendary rocker Prince's full name? Answered

Prince Rogers Nelson. His father, John Nelson, was also a musician, with the stage name Prince Rogers, which inspired Prince’s name.
    Last edited by reveal; April 26th, 2019 at 06:16 PM.
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

Workman Publishing Company
    225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

2. Wyatt Earp?

I'll be king someday! The It's Man's Avatar
    Province
    The Low Countries
    Oratio

Ignore User
    1. Tasmania
    3. Prince Roger Nelson
    Lemon curry?

Quote Originally Posted by The It's Man View Post
    3. Prince Roger Nelson
    Close enough!

3) Prince Rogers Nelson. His father, John Nelson, was also a musician, with the stage name Prince Rogers, which inspired Prince’s name.
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    2. Wyatt Earp? I don't even know if he was a real person. The name just surfaced, so there you have it.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I can't remember 2's name, he wasn't particularly famous, but he's the same guy that responded to the question "Why did you sit down to eat with a man you knew wanted to kill you" with "I didn't want to send him to hell on an empty stomach".
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Since I've discovered that it wasn't Wyatt Earp, I'm going with little glimmers of names I heard from my childhood.

This one, Bat Masterson, has to have been made up by some Hollywood screenwriter. But I'll try that one next.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    Since I've discovered that it wasn't Wyatt Earp, I'm going with little glimmers of names I heard from my childhood.

This one, Bat Masterson, has to have been made up by some Hollywood screenwriter. But I'll try that one next.
    No, Bat Masterson was a real person.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_Masterson

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I found that out after I posted.

These names arise in my head in response to the inquiries and I'd forgotten all about them. The guy isn't the one with the tombstone epitaph in the question, though. Masterson went into other fields, including journalism, later in life. He was quite the entrepreneur. There were tv westerns on when I was a small child. My parents must have watched them. I also remember Maverick and Gunsmoke. I think the sheriff, Marshall Dillon, was probably a fictional character, like Miss Kitty. I haven't a clue about the epitaph, so I'm curious now, not just about the epitaph, but about why westerns were so popular on tv in the 1960's. I have a Time Life Old West series that my grandfather left me. There's a book called, The Gunfighters, that probably has the answer, but I won't look it up until we hear from reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    I have a Time Life Old West series that my grandfather left me. There's a book called, The Gunfighters, that probably has the answer, but I won't look it up until we hear from reveal.
    I remember the ads for that series, from decades ago.

"...John Wesley Hardin -- a man so mean he once shot a man for snoring."

So, not him. What about Judge Roy Bean, "the hanging judge?" No, he sounds like he was pretty free with his killing as well.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

I'll be king someday! The It's Man's Avatar
    Province
    The Low Countries
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Billy the Kid
    -- perhaps it was sarcasm ...
    Lemon curry?

1) Kangaroo Island. As the name suggests, the island is home to a kangaroo population, as well as other wildlife, like koalas, sea lions, and wallabies.

2) Clay Allison, a notorious American Old West gunfighter who was killed in 1887 when a wagon wheel ran over his head.

225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com