Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reveal's Daily Trivia 4.19.19

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Ah, but it asks 'what kind of food' and these aren't grapes you eat, they are grapes you drink.

At least muscadelle is a wine. Thanks lushy neighbor!
    I once picked 30 pounds of wine grapes, old vine Zinfandel and Syrah varieties, at a local vineyard. The proprietor normally sold them by the ton, but was happy to let me have a smaller amount for a small price. I used them to make jams and jellies.

Let me tell you something about wine grapes. They taste a billion times better than anything you will be able to buy in most supermarkets. Why? Because they haven't been genetically adapted to enhance appearance and shelf life at the expense of flavor. The flavor of these wine grapes is complex and intense. So I'm amused that you think they aren't for eating. Pound for pound, even with the multiple seeds and small size, they're better tasting than any pathetic "Thompson" grapes you may get at the store. And the jams/jellies they made were like a little party in your mouth. Forget Welch's grape jelly. This is something of a different order entirely.
    Last edited by shiningbrow; April 20th, 2019 at 05:56 PM.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    If not grapes, then caviar?

Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post

Let me tell you something about wine grapes. They taste a billion times better than anything you will be able to buy in most supermarkets. Why? Because they haven't been genetically adapted to enhance appearance and shelf life at the expense of flavor. The flavor of these wine grapes is complex and intense. So I'm amused that you think they aren't for eating. Pound for pound, even with the multiple seeds and small size, they're better tasting than any pathetic "Thompson" grapes you may get at the store.
    Yup, this. Describes those wine grapes I got at Pike market perfectly. I don't recall which variety they were, but they were kind of pale on the bottom, and rougey-red going towards flame-ish near the top. So surprisingly delicious, I'll never forget them.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Let me tell you something about wine grapes. They taste a billion times better than anything you will be able to buy in most supermarkets.
    Interesting. I wonder if it would be worth it to market them in stores at a markup?
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    They are very delicate and easily bruised and they mold more easily than regular table grapes. Plus most people don't like spitting out seeds. We have a variety of apricot out here, Royal Blenheim, that's too delicate to ship, but is very intense in flavor and greatly prized for jam.

Some of the greengrocers around here will sell concord or tempranillo grapes, which are about as close as you can get to wine grapes in stores. My father used to grow concord grapes and they were so sweet. Some ferment on the vines in the sun. The bees would eat them and get drunk. You could go out and cut off a cluster and they'd ignore you. Some of them would be so snookered that they'd be drunkenly meandering on the ground.
    Last edited by shiningbrow; April 21st, 2019 at 01:21 AM.

There are apparently over 10,000 varieties of wine grapes alone. I appreciate biodiversity as much as the next person, but, geez, Ma Nature, take it down a notch.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yeah. People have been engaged in genetic modification in agriculture for a very long time. Check out this 1908 book, Plums of New York. There were over 2000 different varieties of plums at the time, and I'm sure this number has increased significantly since the early XXc. The pictures are great, too. I don't know of a parallel book that discusses grape varietals, but there must be one in some library somewhere. I work with a lot of fruit, so it's sort of an area that I like to explore.
    https://archive.org/details/plumsofnewyork00hedrrich

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    There are apparently over 10,000 varieties of wine grapes alone. I appreciate biodiversity as much as the next person, but, geez, Ma Nature enthusiastic oenologists & viticulturists, take it down a notch.

fify

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    fify
    Okay, point, but they're only doing what Nature made possible. A little less natural cross"breeding"* and a little more "after its own kind" wouldn't hurt.

*Okay, breeding is deliberate. Brain is fuzzy today.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Okay, point, but they're only doing what Nature made possible. A little less natural cross"breeding"* and a little more "after its own kind" wouldn't hurt.

You do realize that you're arguing in favor of widespread famine, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Well, that's a grapist comment.

2) Grapes?
    Correct!

2) Grapes. All three varieties are used in winemaking, thought they are much less well-known than more common varieties, like malbec, merlot, and pinot noir.

3) Linda Finch. Finch retraced Earhart’s path, even using the same plane model Earhart used – an Electra 10E. She successfully completed the flight in two and a half months.
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

Workman Publishing Company
    225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12