Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: April showers bring May flowers so they say. It just makes me sneeze alot

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    And 6 hours in my Kickstarter is 40% funded! Woho!

What Kickstarter was that?
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Probably the one he's advertising over in the Coliseum.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Probably the one he's advertising over in the Coliseum.
    What he said

(Umerican Road Atlas and Umerica Unnatural). Nearly 60% funded on the first day, doing better than the last one both in % and in amount raised. I'm excited.

Linkie: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ral?ref=1r8nch

(I won't constantly push it, but I am excited)

Ah. Yes, I saw that one on Kickstarter earlier today. It looked like pretty good post-apocalyptic setting material, which is unfortunately not a genre I'm into. It does sound like it's going to be successful; congratulations.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Lol. Hope it goes well for you.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Ah. Yes, I saw that one on Kickstarter earlier today. It looked like pretty good post-apocalyptic setting material, which is unfortunately not a genre I'm into. It does sound like it's going to be successful; congratulations.
    Buy it anyway

er

Appreciate the thought and complement. It's fun, and the Twisted Menagerie Manual we put out last kickstarter (one of the stretch goals) works well for DCC monsters in general even outside of Post Apocalyptic settings (Well, not all of them, but most are either easily reskinned or good enough to be fine strange magical beasts, such as the Octowolf and Beetle Ape. But the V.E.T.T, Autovore, and Robolich might not work as well).

Feel free to spread the word to your friends though, in case you have a friend who does like this kind of stuff.

All the old Crawling Under a Broken Moon zines as well as the new Umerica stuff can be found here: https://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/44...-Faith-Studios. There's even psionic rules for DCC that have been pretty heavily praised and are not post-apocalyptic based nor simply a reskinned magic (it's an entirely different system that still works in the DCC framework and doesn't break things, it's fairly well regarded).

Also, the mastermind behind all this is my roommate. I help out, do editing or idea bounces, write some sections, and have a few adventures written that could be stretch goals.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, it's storming outside, so our inside/outside cat has decided inside is good for now. He's curled up on the covers on my bed as we speak. I laid down on the bed and tried to put him on my chest to pet him, but he immediately went back to the covers. Then our inside cat decided she wanted attention. So I had one cat on either side of me. Joey, our outside cat is a cover hog though.

In otherwords, it was a good morning.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

I *finally* managed to procure some damn gar skins. Price wasn't too terrible, and I got 4 of them, two small ones and two nice big ones. They're dried and stiff, looks like nothing (borax, salt) was used on them. I'm super eager to get working with them, but need to make them somewhat pliable for the armor bits and other things I'll be putting pieces of the skin on, so I'm scouring the Net for methods of tanning (or at least preserving) fish skin. Problem is, most recipes mention de-scaling (they're usually talking about salmon or carp) the fish skins, which is absolutely NOT what I want to do.

There is apparently a Very Good Book on some historic Norse/Saami ways of preserving fish skin, but not only is the book hard to find....it's in Swedish. Which I could probably intuit/translate, but....probably not at that price.

Various recipes seem to indicate using half of some degreaser/penetrator like ammonia (urine), borax, denatured alcohol, etc. and half of some emollient and/or fat-based preservative like egg yolks, oil, glycerin, etc.

So, empirical experimentation it shall be. I have some home-rendered venison tallow that I'm going to experiment with rubbing some of that in along part of one of the skins and then see if that with a little bit of gentle breaking makes it pliable enough for what I want, and if the scales loosen or fall off at all.

O, the things I get into.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Speaking of sneezing, my puppy has been congested for a few days now.

Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    There is apparently a Very Good Book on some historic Norse/Saami ways of preserving fish skin, but not only is the book hard to find....it's in Swedish. Which I could probably intuit/translate, but....probably not at that price.
    Buy it and send it to Mayor Pete. Won't be the first time he's learned a new language just to read a book.

Buy it and send it to Mayor Pete. Won't be the first time he's learned a new language just to read a book.
    Is he going to tan my gar skins for me?! I think not!

Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Is he going to tan my gar skins for me?! I think not!

Nah, just provide the translation.

Quick question open to everyone; if someone were to give you the choice of either a small magnesium fire striker, or a plain steel ring that was a bottle-opener as a wee giftie or small-trade item, which would you prefer, and any reason(s) why? Need to gather some data.

No, I don't want to bother with putting up a poll.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It would really depend on your lifestyle. Do you like outdoor activities? Choose the fire-striker.
    If you're more indoors, choose the ring bottle opener. It also depends on if you have one already.

Otherwise, either are cool gifts.

• Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast