Thread: reveal's Daily Trivia 3.25.19

reveal's Daily Trivia 3.25.19

Why do we call unwanted and repetitive emails spam? Answered

A famous 1970 Monty Python sketch poked fun at the mystery meat product SPAM and included a group of Vikings singing “SPAM” over and over again. The term was later appropriated to describe annoying and repetitive messages online.
    Last edited by reveal; March 25th, 2019 at 04:21 PM.
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

Workman Publishing Company
    225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

Because nobody likes it, sorta like the real spam?

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Because it used to slow the process of actual mail?

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    Because nobody likes it, sorta like the real spam?
    More from the Monty Python skit where a bunch of Vikings in a diner start singing "Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam..." until the diner patrons yell at them to shut up. So on early usenet and MUDs* it became a term for any repetitive message that gets annoying. Early instances spam weren't always adverts.

* Think early MMOs for you youngins. I remember several chat rooms getting spammed literally with the lyrics to the SPAM song because you could macro to text dump huge amounts of text. In one MUD, your characters learned languages by 'hearing' other languages so me a buddy set up macros for every time we'd perform a specific action (usually a movement key) to text dump from at each other our languages (usually whole pages from The Hobbit or whatever) to 'speed learn' them.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    More from the Monty Python skit where a bunch of Vikings in a diner start singing "Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam..." until the diner patrons yell at them to shut up. So on early usenet and MUDs* it became a term for any repetitive message that gets annoying. Early instances spam weren't always adverts.
    Correct!

A famous 1970 Monty Python sketch poked fun at the mystery meat product SPAM and included a group of Vikings singing “SPAM” over and over again. The term was later appropriated to describe annoying and repetitive messages online.
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

Workman Publishing Company
    225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com