Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March Madness. Fuck it.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I think we got a hawk or an owl in the neighborhood. I caught a flash of brown flying beside me and it was gone too quick for me to take more than a glance.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Pretty sure she's a short-tail hawk, she looks almost exactly like this:

There's about 6 of them in the neighborhood (by which I mean several square miles). She's slightly larger than the local crows, her mate is a bit smaller than the crows. The local jays are super suicidally aggressive whenever she's around, so her mate rarely comes around.
    Neat. We don't have those around here, they're a pretty rare bird. I'm surprised she's eating fish.

It's amazing the range of color-morphs for some species of raptor; some of the redtails around here are super melanistic, being dark brown all over like that short-tail pic, rather than the typical mottled/streaky. And then we occasionally have what used to be called Krider's hawks, which are a super-light color-morph of redtail that used to be recognized as a subspecies. Then there's the rough-legged hawks that winter down here from up in Canada and Alaska, they have the widest range of color-morphs of any hawk I know, and they're super pretty. They're really even-tempered, too (we had one in the rehab program as a presentation bird), so it's a shame they couldn't be used for hawking; their feet are just too tiny and they're basically just mousers. I always know winter is really here when I see my first roughie of the season, usually in November.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You could use them for mousing around those big grain silos and such. Easier on the environment than using chemicals, although I do know people use mink/ferrets/dogs and other critters for the same thing.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    You could use them for mousing around those big grain silos and such. Easier on the environment than using chemicals, although I do know people use mink/ferrets/dogs and other critters for the same thing.
    No, they're not legal to fly.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Neat. We don't have those around here, they're a pretty rare bird.
    Yeah, mid to south Florida native species.

I'm surprised she's eating fish.
    Her favorite food seems to be frog, so same taste, different texture. I was just surprised when I tossed the first chunk out and walked away that she dropped down to check it out (I figured at the worst a cat or 'coon or possum would get it later).

She was hanging out at least once a week to see if I'd bring her more (previously she only came by when the culverts had water in them, prime for frogging). But with my work schedule having changed, I'm not out in the mid-afternoons and haven't seen her in a month.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Sprout had a panic attack* today and moved her kittens to the culvert tunnel at the street. Sigh. Hopefully it doesn't rain.

* The Mother Unit suspects it was the massive hawk that was in the backyard that may have scared her. I have no idea how big it actually was, as she's prone to exaggeration, but she swears it was at least 3 feet tall.

By the description I suspect either a large red-tailed hawk (which we have in the neighborhood) or, if she isn't wrong about the size, an osprey, which are native to the area, but I've never seen one around here.

Sprout had a panic attack* today and moved her kittens to the culvert tunnel at the street. Sigh. Hopefully it doesn't rain.

Any chance you can move them back and maybe encourage her to stay there?

* The Mother Unit suspects it was the massive hawk that was in the backyard that may have scared her. I have no idea how big it actually was, as she's prone to exaggeration, but she swears it was at least 3 feet tall.
    People always do that. I swear, I wish I had a dollar for every time someone was describing to me "this HUUUUGGGE bird I saw! I mean, it was ginormous! It was probably an eagle! Or do we ever have condors around here?" And it usually turns out to be a redtail and they've just gotten duped by seeing a bit of wingspan. People generally have no idea how big eagles really are until they get up close to one, either.

Also, you really want to impress someone, get them up close to a blue heron. I swear, I'd rather hear "Can you come out and help catch the big golden out in run 3" thrice over than "We need to grab the heron for tube-feeding..." even once. Also, with the raptors, you generally only need to worry about feet; a heron has a fucking bayonet on the end of its face, and it is deadly accurate as well as lightning-fast in stabbing shit with it.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Any chance you can move them back and maybe encourage her to stay there?
    By leaving her a place to return to. The kittens are too young and she's too skittish. Worried if we try to move the kittens she'd freak and move them farther away next time. At least she's only about 30' from the porch (depending on how far into the culvert she's taken them) where she is now.

People always do that.
    She claims it was just perched on the fence post and scared the beejeezus out of her when she opened the blinds to cook breakfast.

I could go see if there are terror bird sized claw marks on the post top...

Also, you really want to impress someone, get them up close to a blue heron.
    Biggest bird I've ever been face to face with was some variety of fucking pelican (I think). Aside from being light grey-dirty white and fucking huge (it was taller than I am) it looked vaguely like a shoebill stork beak was slapped on a hulkish pelican body. With emu legs and claws.

I've never been able to figure out what the fuck it was and I've only seen it a few times in the next neighborhood over.
    Last edited by nail bunny; March 27th, 2019 at 03:09 AM.

Biggest bird I've ever been face to face with was some variety of fucking pelican (I think). Aside from being light grey-dirty white and fucking huge (it was taller than I am) it looked vaguely like a shoebill stork beak was slapped on a hulkish pelican body. With emu legs and claws.

I've never been able to figure out what the fuck it was and I've only seen it a few times in the next neighborhood over.
    Wood stork?

Maybe a whooping crane? I mean, did you remove an arrow from its wing, take it home and force her to weave you feather garments to get out of poverty?

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Wood stork?
    It was a terror bird I tell ya.

Except it had actual wings. And wasn't quite that big. Which is why I'm thinking it was a huge pelican (or huge weird stork or heron). And I could be exaggerating the raptor/emu like talons...

I mean, did you remove an arrow from its wing, take it home and force her to weave you feather garments to get out of poverty?
    It gave me the ole "I think your innards would be tasty and your bones would make a best for my mate" look and I gave it a wide berth. I've seen it twice since in the distance (like a few blocks away when I've been out walking over in it's territory), but never had a camera phone with me.

Those eyes! Like gimlets!

Except it had actual wings. And wasn't quite that big. Which is why I'm thinking it was a huge pelican (or huge weird stork or heron). And I could be exaggerating the raptor/emu like talons...
    Well, whooping cranes are about the only N. American bird that approaches being as tall as an average human (and even then, they don't quite make it), but birds can tend to look deceptively big/tall because of how they're built. Also, feathers.

I guess you could just tell your chocobo-raising neighbor he's got an escapee.

It gave me the ole "I think your innards would be tasty and your bones would make a best for my mate" look and I gave it a wide berth. I've seen it twice since in the distance (like a few blocks away when I've been out walking over in it's territory), but never had a camera phone with me.
    hey-nailbunny-soon.jpg

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, whooping cranes are about the only N. American bird that approaches being as tall as an average human (and even then, they don't quite make it), but birds can tend to look deceptively big/tall because of how they're built. Also, feathers.
    Pelicans can get up there*. And if this pair was being 'raised' by someone, they might have been getting the best of foods... and exercise equipment... and training... and opportunity to take their revenge...

* Also the head and body shape really have made me think pelican. Just the beak... it could have been flaring it's throat pouch in an odd manner though.

I guess you could just tell your chocobo-raising neighbor he's got an escapee.

It best watch out... those drumsticks it was sportin...

A very simple, yet happiness-inducing phrase is "All that over there is the scrap pile. Help yourself to as much you want." A local heating/cooling place only charged me ten bucks to cut 10 bands of thin sheet metal (for crowns I want to make and re-work), and I now have ample supply of smaller chunks of it for the post-apo "armor plates" I want to make and attach to stuff.

I wasn't trying to snoop, but I admit to quietly casting a curious and covetous eye on the big benders and shears they had in the shop, too.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You could have spoonbills:

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast