Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alita: Battle Angel (so good)

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User

Alita: Battle Angel (so good)

I am so glad this film turned out so well. I feel like I've been waiting for it forever and as such had built up some expectations, it surpassed most of them, it is easily the best live action manga adaptation I've seen. It has a real love and respect for it's source material, you can see scenes coming straight out of the pages. Even if you don't know the manga it has loads to offer.

Any other folks been to see it yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Yeah. It had a few flaws IMO (I think the bar scene for example didn't really work), but overall I had a good time. I really liked Alita herself and the world, and I want to see more.

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Yeah. It had a few flaws IMO (I think the bar scene for example didn't really work), but overall I had a good time. I really liked Alita herself and the world, and I want to see more.
    Yeah, the Bar scene seemed a little out of place. Everything else was good to great.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    We're going to go see it Saturday up in the cushy theatre with the recliners.
    "I'll tell you something," he said, as if he had said nothing that day. "You're walking on gallows ground, and there's a rope around your neck and a raven-bird on each shoulder waiting for your eyes, and the gallows tree has deep roots, for it stretches from heaven to hell, and our world is only the branch from which the rope is swinging."

We saw it opening night (in those cushy recliners) and all of us loved it! It has set a very high bar for live-action manga adaptations and look forward for the next one.

Likely Saturday, after getting the kittens their booster shots.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't have an issue with the bar scene, probably missed something. Jennifer Connelly's character pitching up along with her bag of tools towards the end felt very contrived, but otherwise I'd recommend it.

Saw it today. Alita (the movie and the character) kicks. ass.

Jennifer Connelly, not so much. I think she was wasted in that part. Casting could have slotted pretty much any actress in there and it would have made no difference.
    Last edited by Advocatus Diaboli; March 3rd, 2019 at 04:40 AM.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm gonna have to see it this week, we went up to Spokane for birthday shenanigans yesterday and had intended to see it there, but ran long on time doing other stuff and wanted to get back home since very new bottle-baby goats can only go ~6 hrs between feedings.
    "I'll tell you something," he said, as if he had said nothing that day. "You're walking on gallows ground, and there's a rope around your neck and a raven-bird on each shoulder waiting for your eyes, and the gallows tree has deep roots, for it stretches from heaven to hell, and our world is only the branch from which the rope is swinging."

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    We went and saw it today. I'm glad I saw it, and it wasn't a total waste of a matinee, but it wasn't anything I was terribly excited about. The whole extreme-cyborg thing is kind of stomach-turningly repugnant to me, and Alita has a whole lot of uncanny valley quotient (it's not just the eyes, but the weird hair movement), but it wasn't a terrible movie.

I was honestly almost as piqued for the trailer about the girl and mother with the metaphysical abilities (the title is something about 'Color'), that's one that I'll definitely be interested in seeing. Wasn't there supposed to be another young-adults-with-superhero-abilities movie coming out soon, as well? Like they're controlled by some dystopian government thing and they fight back? Or did I somehow miss that already?

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Wasn't there supposed to be another young-adults-with-superhero-abilities movie coming out soon, as well? Like they're controlled by some dystopian government thing and they fight back?
    Isn't that all of them?
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

I was honestly almost as piqued for the trailer about the girl and mother with the metaphysical abilities (the title is something about 'Color'), that's one that I'll definitely be interested in seeing.
    Fast Color. Yeah, that looks good.

Wasn't there supposed to be another young-adults-with-superhero-abilities movie coming out soon, as well? Like they're controlled by some dystopian government thing and they fight back? Or did I somehow miss that already?
    Were you thinking of New Mutants? It's coming in August.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Were you thinking of New Mutants? It's coming in August.
    Hadn't even hear of that one, but holy shit... Isn't that Maisie Williams in that?

The one I was thinking of is "The Darkest Minds".

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The one I was thinking of is "The Darkest Minds".
    That's already out on Netflix I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    That's already out on Netflix I think.
    Wuuuut?! Not supposed to be out in theatres until August of this year, according to the trailer.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast