Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: "GLASS" (and prequels) - SPOILERS

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,395

    Ignore User

    "GLASS" (and prequels) - SPOILERS

    Man, this was good. Masterful storytelling, excellent sprinkling of humour and call-backs. James McAvoy is freakin' AMAZING.

    The one niggling thing that's bugging me is that I can't figure out what thing(s) tipped me off that the therapist is a baddie. The only things that immediately springs to mind was that she knew about Willis' character's weakness to water, and I remember thinking "how did she know that?" when the bit about the tank first came up. I supposed that during the years, the speculations of folks about the Overseer and his exploits *could* have maybe connected some dots, but...I found it odd. The only other thing I could think of was that her clothes were..."off", somehow. Like...vaguely outdated in the style and the way she wore them (all buttoned up, no relaxation)? Maybe subliminally suggesting her adherence to an older mindset/worldview? Or maybe because she didn't smile and had basically zero warmth, whereas Kevin's therapist from "Split" was evidencing genuine compassion and care.

    But damn, the second they showed us the first tattoo, I was all "OH SHIT, SOMETHING IS UP. We're being shown this. WHY are we being show...OH SHIT THERE'S ANOTHER ONE! It's a cabal! An inside job!! It's gotta be!"

    Gleefully anticipating a whole buttload of forthcoming 'superhero' awesomeness from Shyamalan in the future. I wonder what direction he'll take with this? Going forward into the future, post-video-distribution, or maybe doing a clever sidestep and maybe showing some history with this cabal and what they've done in the past to maintain the status quo? Either way, count my derriere in a theatre seat for it.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Man, this was good. Masterful storytelling, excellent sprinkling of humour and call-backs. James McAvoy is freakin' AMAZING.

    The one niggling thing that's bugging me is that I can't figure out what thing(s) tipped me off that the therapist is a baddie. The only things that immediately springs to mind was that she knew about Willis' character's weakness to water, and I remember thinking "how did she know that?" when the bit about the tank first came up. I supposed that during the years, the speculations of folks about the Overseer and his exploits *could* have maybe connected some dots, but...I found it odd. The only other thing I could think of was that her clothes were..."off", somehow. Like...vaguely outdated in the style and the way she wore them (all buttoned up, no relaxation)? Maybe subliminally suggesting her adherence to an older mindset/worldview? Or maybe because she didn't smile and had basically zero warmth, whereas Kevin's therapist from "Split" was evidencing genuine compassion and care.

    But damn, the second they showed us the first tattoo, I was all "OH SHIT, SOMETHING IS UP. We're being shown this. WHY are we being show...OH SHIT THERE'S ANOTHER ONE! It's a cabal! An inside job!! It's gotta be!"

    Gleefully anticipating a whole buttload of forthcoming 'superhero' awesomeness from Shyamalan in the future. I wonder what direction he'll take with this? Going forward into the future, post-video-distribution, or maybe doing a clever sidestep and maybe showing some history with this cabal and what they've done in the past to maintain the status quo? Either way, count my derriere in a theatre seat for it.
    I loved it as well and thought it was a great ending to the story.

  3. #3
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,395

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    I loved it as well and thought it was a great ending to the story.
    Also, just the beginning.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Man, this was good. Masterful storytelling, excellent sprinkling of humour and call-backs. James McAvoy is freakin' AMAZING.

    The one niggling thing that's bugging me is that I can't figure out what thing(s) tipped me off that the therapist is a baddie. The only things that immediately springs to mind was that she knew about Willis' character's weakness to water, and I remember thinking "how did she know that?" when the bit about the tank first came up. I supposed that during the years, the speculations of folks about the Overseer and his exploits *could* have maybe connected some dots, but...I found it odd. The only other thing I could think of was that her clothes were..."off", somehow. Like...vaguely outdated in the style and the way she wore them (all buttoned up, no relaxation)? Maybe subliminally suggesting her adherence to an older mindset/worldview? Or maybe because she didn't smile and had basically zero warmth, whereas Kevin's therapist from "Split" was evidencing genuine compassion and care.

    But damn, the second they showed us the first tattoo, I was all "OH SHIT, SOMETHING IS UP. We're being shown this. WHY are we being show...OH SHIT THERE'S ANOTHER ONE! It's a cabal! An inside job!! It's gotta be!"

    Gleefully anticipating a whole buttload of forthcoming 'superhero' awesomeness from Shyamalan in the future. I wonder what direction he'll take with this? Going forward into the future, post-video-distribution, or maybe doing a clever sidestep and maybe showing some history with this cabal and what they've done in the past to maintain the status quo? Either way, count my derriere in a theatre seat for it.
    The one thing that threw me off that it seemed strange that she would expose him to his "weakness" if all his abilities are imaginary anyway. It is different for the Horde - trying to get aggressive personalities out for her safety makes sense.
    The other thing is - why would she given only 3 days for her therapeutic effort? What happens when they are over? If they are patients, no reason to let them out until they are healed.

    I found the death of Bruce Willis' character pretty... mean. So unglamorous. He didn't deserve that.


    I am surprised the critic for the movie weren't all that good. I loved it, and so did the people I went with.

    Also, just the beginning.
    I am not sure however that we'll see more of that story, though. Not because of critical success or lack thereof, just because Shaylman (?) might really only wanted to tell this story to this point.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    The one thing that threw me off that it seemed strange that she would expose him to his "weakness" if all his abilities are imaginary anyway. It is different for the Horde - trying to get aggressive personalities out for her safety makes sense.
    I didn't see it that way. People on drugs and mothers in fear for the safety of their children have performed amazing feats of strength. If you viewed his mental state as allowing him to tap that sort of strength, exposing him to his "weakness" would also be for for safety reasons.

    I found the death of Bruce Willis' character pretty... mean. So unglamorous. He didn't deserve that.
    I also didn't understand why it happened. The police wouldn't just kill someone who was a mental patient like that, and it's not like he killed a cop. The cabal seemed secret and used authorities, but didn't seem like they let the authorities in on the secret. Without being in on the secret, they wouldn't just murder a mental patient like that.

  6. #6
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,395

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    I also didn't understand why it happened. The police wouldn't just kill someone who was a mental patient like that, and it's not like he killed a cop. The cabal seemed secret and used authorities, but didn't seem like they let the authorities in on the secret. Without being in on the secret, they wouldn't just murder a mental patient like that.
    The murdering thugs were part of the cabal, that's what the tattoos meant. And even if the thugs don't know everything (it would make sense to have tiers of privilege/knowledge), they are probably well-paid and intimidated to do whatever the hell their uppers tell them to do, and don't ask questions or talk about it.

    Did anyone else twig to Ms. Therapist being a baddie early on? I'm still trying to figure out what the hell was tipping me off. Mainly because I want to know how Shyamalan led me like that without me able to be aware of it.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    The murdering thugs were part of the cabal, that's what the tattoos meant. And even if the thugs don't know everything (it would make sense to have tiers of privilege/knowledge), they are probably well-paid and intimidated to do whatever the hell their uppers tell them to do, and don't ask questions or talk about it.
    See, for them to all be bad guys in place in the PD, they'd have to have groups like that set up in every town and city where superheroes might come into being or move to. That's a LOT of people to be in on thing to the point of committing murder.

    Did anyone else twig to Ms. Therapist being a baddie early on? I'm still trying to figure out what the hell was tipping me off. Mainly because I want to know how Shyamalan led me like that without me able to be aware of it.
    I got a bad guy vibe from her from the second she walked in. Something about the mood the movie portrayed whenever she was around just made her seem like a bad guy, but nothing specific comes to mind to let me know she was part of a cabal.

  8. #8
    EVOLVED: extra chromosome! Zappo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Patavium, Gallia Transpadana
    Oratio
    3,352

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    See, for them to all be bad guys in place in the PD, they'd have to have groups like that set up in every town and city where superheroes might come into being or move to. That's a LOT of people to be in on thing to the point of committing murder.
    They don't need them in every city. They only need them in the one city where they know for a fact there are at least three superhumans. IOW, it makes perfect sense for them to have a strike force on standby near the hospital, just in case the doctor's plan goes sideways.
    You say that I am testing the gods' patience? Oh... I'd rather call myself an experimental theologian.
    Factol Terrance

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •