Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - Season 8

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Perhaps Bran can dictate the entire history of Man to Samwell, and they can fill another library the size of the one in Oldtown.

No one needed to fall back to the Iron Isles yet, but perhaps that's coming after the Army of the North clashes with Cersei's mercenaries. They're exhausted and their numbers are down, but Dany can't give Cersei still more time to prepare. They'll have to march soon and will be ripe for an initial stomping by fresher troops.

Or they can move their army down to the Neck, where the North typically resists invasion, and Daenerys can meet Howland Reed, who is the last living person with first hand knowledge of Jon Snow's true parentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    A real rollercoaster, almost the entire way through. Melisandre lights up the Dothraki -- huzzah! The Dothraki disappear into dark and silence -- oh, shit! The moat his been lit -- we have a breather! They've bridged the moat -- dammit!
    That scene bugged the crap out of me. It was visually cool, but it made no sense.

Jon: "Hey guys. We have the best cavalry in the world. I have an idea! First we put them outside at night on horseback in the snow and ice. Then Melisandre will light their swords on fire so what little vision they had goes away. Then we will send them charging out into the darkness and hope they don't all die in a horse slipping and crashing fuckfest, on their way to confront an enemy they can't see, don't know the numbers of, and don't quite know the location of. Oh, and the enemy can see in the dark. Then, the rest of the army will just hang back and watch! It will be great! Much better than lining the walls with them and their horse bows to shoot the dead when they come into sight."

Everyone else: "Sounds good to us."

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    That scene bugged the crap out of me. It was visually cool, but it made no sense.

Jon: "Hey guys. We have the best cavalry in the world. I have an idea! First we put them outside at night on horseback in the snow and ice. Then Melisandre will light their swords on fire so what little vision they had goes away. Then we will send them charging out into the darkness and hope they don't all die in a horse slipping and crashing fuckfest, on their way to confront an enemy they can't see, don't know the numbers of, and don't quite know the location of. Oh, and the enemy can see in the dark. Then, the rest of the army will just hang back and watch! It will be great! Much better than lining the walls with them and their horse bows to shoot the dead when they come into sight."

Yeah. That's pretty funny. Didn't make lots of sense to me, either. I guess they had lots of soldiers and couldn't have them all hanging out in Winterfell and they had to put them somewhere, so outside, in conventionally defensive postures made sense.

The Night King gets to make it snow and be dark, which is strategically advantageous to all his dead minions, but not great for tv watching. I heard lots of animal growling and stabbing. Much of the time, I could not figure out what I was seeing. I'm still not sure who's dead, except for the people who were well lit when they were getting stabbed. That whole scene with Arya playing hide and seek with dead guys was nearly impossible to make out. Also: Did another dragon die? It seemed to be wounded.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    Also: Did another dragon die? It seemed to be wounded.
    Rhaegal had a rough landing, but I think he's okay. Pretty sure they'd have shown us his death if he'd bit it.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Tactics and strategy were atrocious, best not to dwell on it. Critique the episode as a drama, and not as a battle scene (however cool it could have been if they had done it properly).

I liked the switcheroo where Jon is fighting, fighting, fighting to get to the Night King, and Arya comes out of nowhere to do the deed. Kit Harrington and Maisie Williams were both really surprised when reading the script, and Williams was also worried: “But I immediately thought that everybody would hate it; that Arya doesn’t deserve it." Fuck that shit, Arya deserved it all the way, and put in a lot of work to get there. You go, girl!

Wights obeying library rules (sshh!) was hilarious.

I think they weren't at all clear enough on the dragons. Rhaegal crashes into the ground and isn't seen again, and Drogon appears to bite the head off Viseryon. And then Jon faces an undead dragon - the only clue that it's still Viseryon (and not Rhaegal getting rezzed with all the other undead) is that it lacks half the lower jaw, which was an injury Viseryon took earlier.
    Last edited by Ulrik; April 30th, 2019 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    Tactics and strategy were atrocious, best not to dwell on it. Critique the episode as a drama, and not as a battle scene (however cool it could have been if they had done it properly).

I liked the switcheroo where Jon is fighting, fighting, fighting to get to the Night King, and Arya comes out of nowhere to do the deed. Kit Harrington and Maisie Williams were both really surprised when reading the script, and Williams was also worried: “But I immediately thought that everybody would hate it; that Arya doesn’t deserve it." Fuck that shit, Arya deserved it all the way, and put in a lot of work to get there. You go, girl!
    I didn't mind Arya killing the Night King. I didn't like how fast he went from bad ass to dead. What I think should have been done is to spread out his white walkers among the dead as commanders. You could have had them facing off against leaders. I mean, how cool would it have been to have Jorah die defending Dany from a white walker. They could have killed each other simultaneously or something. Have others kicking ass. Then the Night King could have walked up to Theon who was the last person defending Bran and killed Theon that way, instead of having Theon stupidly charge the Night King and six or seven white walkers in order to not slow them down at all. After Theon dies and the Night King is going to kill Bran, Jon comes charging in and they get into a bad ass fight. Perhaps they wound each other a few times before Jon slips and falls, losing his sword. Just before the Night King plunges his sword down into Jon's chest, No One comes out of nowhere from behind and plunges her valyrian steel dagger into the Night Kings heart by stabbing him just under the arm pit.

That's how a BBEG should die. Not some 2 second now I'm undead and now I'm not.

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The Night King died in a fine way. Arya has trained for this for 8 seasons, and she worked hard at getting to him. She also got the dagger from Bran (foreshadowing), and Beric had to fulfill his destiny to get her there.

What the director did was to throw misdirection at us, letting Arya fade into the background a bit while focusing on Jon's fight. That's a cool twist, not a letdown.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The only battle in the show that wasn't stupid, tactically, was the one that GRRM actually wrote. The other two have been really stupid. The show writers aren't very good at writing original material.

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    The only battle in the show that wasn't stupid, tactically, was the one that GRRM actually wrote. The other two have been really stupid. The show writers aren't very good at writing original material.
    The writers on the show are hacks. The rest of the production is stellar, though - so when they could get Martin writing for them or could lift the script straight from the books (like in the first seasons) GoT was special.

Sent fra min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post

Jon: "Guys I have another idea, why don't we put our infantry behind the siege weapons, and then put the whole in front of the ditch we dug. It just feels right to me."

Jon: "Oh and to conserve ammo we won't have the archers shoot until they are actually climbing the walls, but then take them all off the walls after they have only had a chance to fire one shot."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    One of the funniest bits was "they're up against the walls!" as if you can't shoot them thru the machicolations (kudos for the art design for including them) on the walls. And for some reason Winterfel has a storage of oil for siege defense.

Lets just accept as fact that the writers have NO idea how to defend a castle, and made no effort to learn how it was actually done, and didn't watch any movies featuring a siege defense (like Kingdom of Heaven for example).
    Last edited by Eldorian; May 1st, 2019 at 03:27 AM.

There's a brand-new album out of Game of Thrones-inspired songs, called "For The Throne". The Lumineers and Mumford & Sons are on it, and the tracks appear to all be available for a listen on YouTube.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post

Yeah, she totally deserved it and you could see they had been setting this up for awhile. I loved it, some people are complaining about how she could have got there, but they didn't show that so they could have the shock effect of her appearing.

But they established earlier she can take the face of whoever she wants, so could easily masquerade as a walker if needed, or sneak in there like she did on Jon.

Wights obeying library rules (sshh!) was hilarious.
    My only problem with that scene was how Arya had gone from being a complete badass scything through Walkers, to being all timid and hiding after getting a bump on the head. I guess it could knock her confidence, but being so soon after her battlements scene it felt at odds.

I think they weren't at all clear enough on the dragons. Rhaegal crashes into the ground and isn't seen again, and Drogon appears to bite the head off Viseryon. And then Jon faces an undead dragon - the only clue that it's still Viseryon (and not Rhaegal getting rezzed with all the other undead) is that it lacks half the lower jaw, which was an injury Viseryon took earlier.
    Agreed.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    Lets just accept as fact that the writers have NO idea how to defend a castle, and made no effort to learn how it was actually done, and didn't watch any movies featuring a siege defense (like Kingdom of Heaven for example).
    I heard another theory, that they deliberately killed of the Dothraki to save employing them and all the horses for several evenings of night shoot. I'm really surprised about how bad it was tactically, you can bet when GRRM gets round to writing it the siege will be much better researched and written.

The two young women/girls (Ayra and Lyanna Mormont) parts were about the only really good bits.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; May 2nd, 2019 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    But they established earlier she can take the face of whoever she wants, so could easily masquerade as a walker if needed,
    She couldn't do that actually. They established that they can take the faces of people they kill and whose faces they remove and keep. White Walkers don't leave a face behind to remove as they disintegrate when they die.

My only problem with that scene was how Arya had gone from being a complete badass scything through Walkers, to being all timid and hiding after getting a bump on the head. I guess it could knock her confidence, but being so soon after her battlements scene it felt at odds.
    Nah. That wasn't a problem. She has shown herself to be smart and able to do the things she needed, and she didn't scythe through a single walker. Those were wights. The walkers were the guys in blue who are more badass.

The big problem with that scene is that the big ultimate bad guy who they have been building up for 8 seasons, just keeled over and died in literally 2 seconds. They should have had him fighting Jon in an awesome fight before beating Jon and then just before he drives his sword down into Jon's chest, Arya shows up to assassinate him and save the day.

• Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast