Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112

Thread: Game of Thrones - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    It isn't though, and here's why. Say you had someone famous, powerful, rich, etc. that's sent to the Wall. This effectively takes them out of Westerosi society in every way. They can't inherit, don't get any titles, etc. They are, for all intents and purposes, dead while not actually having to die. Now let's say they father a son on a woman (this is also why women are basically proscribed at the Wall). That son can claim paternity from the father on the Wall and be the workaround to have a valid claim on lands, titles, whatever in that line no matter who else those things have gone to, and that's how wars start; so this is why 'father no children' is part of the oath. Sex simply is how you do that, and the smart crows don't want to break their oath and lose their heads, so they view it as the dangerous bomb that could, ah, explode any minute.
    The problem with your theory is that moon tea is readily available and solves the problem.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    The problem with your theory is that moon tea is readily available and solves the problem.
    Of course moon tea is available....unless the woman doesn't want to or is coerced not to take it (let's make my son the Lord/King/inheritor of Whatever and then you'll be rich too). The no sex/children thing is purely to keep people sent to the Wall because of politics absolutely and irrevocably out of political power forever and aye.

ETA: There's also the benefit of if a man has no family or offspring, he'll not be diverting energy/loyalty to something other than the Wall, since as Maester Aemon wisely pointed out, "Love is the death of duty".
    Last edited by Palaralae; May 23rd, 2019 at 01:12 PM.
    It's a long way down and everything's broken
    It's crazy what some will do for love

It's a long way down and the dark road is a serpent
    But you and I are not so different

You can wish what you want
    Let us guide you home
    But we are not yours
    You better leave the stars alone

Some give us names
    Some give us chains
    And some just try to give us away in vain
    We might be maidens
    We might be queens
    But we are not made to realize your dreams

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Last edited by Eldorian; May 23rd, 2019 at 08:58 PM.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    "...within five minutes, someone makes him a king."
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    That was pretty damn good. Can't rep Eldo again right at this minute, unfortunately.
    It's a long way down and everything's broken
    It's crazy what some will do for love

It's a long way down and the dark road is a serpent
    But you and I are not so different

You can wish what you want
    Let us guide you home
    But we are not yours
    You better leave the stars alone

Some give us names
    Some give us chains
    And some just try to give us away in vain
    We might be maidens
    We might be queens
    But we are not made to realize your dreams

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    That was pretty damn good. Can't rep Eldo again right at this minute, unfortunately.
    Can't help you out, sorry. Had to rep it myself, just for Ghost getting the Pat that was Promised.

(I still think the Jon Hughes version is slightly better.)

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Tormund was also Mance's close advisor and friend, he has the wordfame and charisma to absolutely become a leader that can say 'No raiding the South, or else', I think.
    But again, Mance only managed to do that because of the threat of the Others. No way will every wildling listen to him without that existential threat. Not even Mance could do it, even if he got his book twist and survived the burning.

I'm both a longtime book-reader and show watcher and I run GoT trivia contests at cons. The oath says nothing about sex, merely fathering children. The crows tend to be avoid sex for the most part only because the risk of breaking one's oath by inadvertently producing crotchfruit is fairly high in a world with not much in the way of birth control. It's not the sex they're averse to, but rather the likely consequences thereof. An oath means exactly what it says, and this one is no different.

I mean, they could probably have all the crow buttsecks they wanted, really. They'd only risk whelping the odd lawyer or two, I suppose.
    Like MrMax says, moon tea exists and is probably pretty prevalent. I see that it's based on real life tansy tea, which was used for the same purpose, but Martin has stated that moon tea is safer and more effective (but not totally safe, and probably not 100% effective). It's a fantasy touch.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Enhance... Enhance... Enhance...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    Like MrMax says, moon tea exists and is probably pretty prevalent. I see that it's based on real life tansy tea, which was used for the same purpose, but Martin has stated that moon tea is safer and more effective (but not totally safe, and probably not 100% effective). It's a fantasy touch.
    Jon Snow, Sam Tarley and Lord Commander Mormont all treated the oath as an oath to have no sex. The chance that they have all somehow misunderstood(without anyone correcting them) and Pararale is right is somewhere close to 0%. It's not worth fighting over, though.

Province
    Oslo
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The oath is ambivalent. The point of the oath is to have no connections to anybody but the watch, both to perform their duties but also to not muddle inheritance (which is a bloody and serious business in a feudal setting). "father no children" can also be taken as a ban on sex, but that Jon, Sam and the Old Bear (who had already fathered sons before he got to the wall) chose to interpret it that way isn't really an indication that it has to be that way. In the end, people are people, and turning a blind eye to Mole's Town is probably smart for any Lord Commander that doesn't want to go the way of Jon (pre-resurrection).

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Here. This guy critiques and offers a better conclusion to the show.

"When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

• Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112