Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rubberneckin the Post-Apocalypse [Movie & Media Discussion]

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This is one of those "look at the shows made before* Road Warrior, then look at the shows made after..." situations. The shows before often just feature ruined cities and nature untrammeled by man, those that come after are all desert wastelands.

Granted, this may have more to do with the the collapse of détente, but the Road Warrior movie is what I generally blame.

* This includes Mad Max! Which is why I suspect it was the collapse of détente that shifted the world of Mad Max from economic destabilization and insurgence of criminality as it's dystopian themes, to aftermath of war that shifted the global climate into apocalyptic desert wastes.
    Which shows are you referring to? You're out before the mid 80s, so my attention to such details is sketchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Which shows are you referring to? You're out before the mid 80s, so my attention to such details is sketchy.
    Only the ones I've seen and so can confirm the relative 'sandyness' of... note I'm skipping movies that are distinctly 'apocalypse', as in, they only take place during the initial beginning of the end, such as Night of the Living Dead (1968), but am including the ones that deal with survival or civilization after the beginning, such as Dawn of the Dead (1978) which is set 3 weeks after the dead start walkin and the government has collapsed.

Movies - Distinctly Unsandy:

Day the World Ended (1955)
    World Without End (1956)
    On the Beach (1959) - Yes, despite 'beach' being in the title...
    The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959)
    Beyond the Time Barrier (1960)
    Last Woman on Earth (1960)
    The Creation of the Humanoids (1962)
    The Day of the Triffids (1962)
    In the Year 2889 (1967)
    The Last Man on Earth (1964)/The Ωmega Man (1971)
    Planet of the Apes (1968) (the whole Planet of the Apes series actually)
    The Bed Sitting Room (1969)
    Gas-s-s-s (1970)
    No Blade of Grass (1970)
    Glen and Randa (1971)
    The Noah (1975)
    Black Moon (1975)
    Logan's Run (1976)
    Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    Ravagers (1979)
    H. G. Wells' The Shape of Things to Come (1979)
    A Thief in the Night (1972)/A Distant Thunder (1978)/Image of the Beast (1981) - One of the few 'Rapture' post-apoc film series.
    The Ultimate Warrior (1975)
    Where Have All the People Gone? (1974)
    Wizards (1977)
    Zardoz (1974)
    Escape from New York (July 1981)

Note: Mad Max (1979) is missing from this list as it's setting is a dystopia, not post-apocalyptic.

Movies - Sandyness Indeterminate:

Damnation Alley (1977) - Decidedly sandy for much of it, but it's 'death valley' sandy in which there are plants about, also the end destination of the survivors is decidedly lush with greenery.
    Soylent Green (1973) - Theoretically sandy, in that the biosphere has collapsed and food production cannot sustain the world's population. But you never see a lick of sand.
    Road Warrior (December 1981) - Yeah, I know I said it's 'sandy', but having just reskimmed it, it's really only the scenes at the refinery that are distinctly "desert wasteland chic". Everywhere else is as 'sandy' as Mad Max (1979) (which is to say, not particularly lush, but a far cry better than Death Valley). So, I'm really back to thinking it's actually the "collapse of détente" thing that led to an upsurge of distinctly sandy post-apoc movies that lasted until the midish 90s.

Movies - So Sandy Your Teeth Will Scritch Watching It:

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961)
    Silent Running (1972) - Included only because... fuck you, it's a great movie.
    A Boy and His Dog (1975) - Yes, despite there being trees waaaaaaaaaaaay off in the distance of some scenes. It's supposed to a desert wasteland post-apoc.

TV Shows - Unsanded:

Genesis II (1973)/Planet Earth (1974)/Strange New World (1976) - Gene Roddenberry's repeated attempts at getting an anti-feminist post-apoc tv show on the air.
    Planet of the Apes (1974)/Return to the Planet of the Apes (1975)
    The Changes (1975)
    Survivors (1975-1977)
    Ark II (1976)
    Thundarr the Barbarian (Oct 1980-Oct 1981)
    Last edited by nail bunny; February 15th, 2019 at 05:20 AM.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Movies - So Sandy Your Teeth Will Scritch Watching It:
    You could grade the sandiness of movies by grit level like sandpaper. 40-60 grit, 100 grit, upwards of 240 grit, etc.

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

The Khafiends made an amusing little Wasteland/post-apoc commercial.

Can personally vouch for quality of product.

Oh... and I watched Bird Box. Just skip it. I mean, okay, if you enjoy terrible post-apoc movies, go ahead, catch it. But don't expect it to be good.
    Reminded me of The Happening
    I found Netflix's IO to be a colossal waste of time.

Tonight's offering is "Steel Dawn". A very young and easy on the eyes Patrick Swayze is in it.

Also, apparently the score was done by Brian May. I'm assuming it's THE Brian May.

Just a few minutes in, and one of my first thoughts is that the costuming is surprisingly not that bad, especially for an 80's movie.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Tonight's offering is "Steel Dawn"...
    That one was a surprisingly not terrible movie. Bonus, it has Brion James, one of those b-list actors I always like to see get work. If you can get past the dumb-ass sword carried by Swayze and the plot that's been told a million times (literally I think it was the same plot as Roadhouse, Walking Tall, and million and half westerns*), it's not terrible at all.

* Local rich corrupt-as-fuck businessman wants to own a town completely and only one man can stand in his way...

So, if I wanted to jump into the whole Z-Nation thing, should I start in order of seasons, or should I watch this Black Summer​ prequel I just heard about?

Edit: The trailer looks pretty fucking good, even though I don't groove to 'fast' zombies so much.
    Last edited by Palaralae; April 11th, 2019 at 10:45 PM.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So, if I wanted to jump into the whole Z-Nation thing, should I start in order of seasons, or should I watch this Black Summer​ prequel I just heard about?

Edit: The trailer looks pretty fucking good, even though I don't groove to 'fast' zombies so much.

I have no idea. I stopped watching Z Nation midway through season 4* so I have no idea what's up with this prequel.

* It just was focusing too much on one primary† character I really disliked and was sidelining the secondary characters too much... and I really only liked the secondary characters.

† The show starts as a more ensemble cast, with time split fairly equally among them. As the show progressed two characters become the standout show centers, almost everything centers around them... the secondaries still got plenty of love though until season 4. Season 4 takes a weird twist, which was fine... ish. It just the show really narrowed it's focus to those two 'primary' characters and I didn't like the arc they were putting the show lead through (and I never liked Murphy).

Some cool art of visions of a post-apocalyptic Tokyo. I liked the one with the grounded planes best, though I think just moss on the top of them would have been more realistic/believable than lots of green growth, since I doubt you'd get enough soil sticking to the top of the planes for that.

Anybody see "I Think We're Alone Now" and have recommendations for/against? I had wanted to see it, but it fell off my radar.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Anybody see "I Think We're Alone Now" and have recommendations for/against? I had wanted to see it, but it fell off my radar.
    Never heard of it, but it looks good. I'm once again over 2 months behind on my tv/movie watching so it might be awhile before I can get to this one.

Never heard of it, but it looks good. I'm once again over 2 months behind on my tv/movie watching so it might be awhile before I can get to this one.
    I also really like Peter Dinklage, so it's on my list.

Hell, I was even marginally interested in that (apparently horrible) video-game-based movie he did a while back.

O, WUT?!?

How cool! NB, have you checked out this post-apocalyptic and Fallout-themed bar in Orlando?

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    O, WUT?!?

How cool! NB, have you checked out this post-apocalyptic and Fallout-themed bar in Orlando?
    Nope never even heard of it. Likely they don't advertise to keep the guest number down... or maybe because I don't listen to radio or frequent places that bar adverts would be at. Or go into comic book shops anymore. Or bars.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast