Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Random Video Game Thread

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    I mean, Ikit Claw resorts to a nuclear missile at the end of the actual trailer. While laughing like a madrat.
    Well granted. With a scaly infestation like that the only recourse is purging with warpfire...
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    If you like 4x games and you liked FTL, Space Tyrant is 4 bucks on steam for 11 more hours.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yup, that's how it works in vidya gemes.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Mordhau includes a grave for Total Biscuit.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Mordhau includes a grave for Total Biscuit.

Province
    The land between two rivers
    Oratio

Ignore User
    100% verified facts.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Stadia is for even more casual than console gamers. But it does have potential for some unique exclusive games. Basically massively multiplayer, persistent world games where the actual world is malleable. Because the world state is saved only on local hardware, and only images are sent to the players, it wouldn't need to send every player a world state update.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Keanu Reeves is a character in Cyberpunk, as if we needed more reasons to play it.

Basically massively multiplayer, persistent world games where the actual world is malleable. Because the world state is saved only on local hardware, and only images are sent to the players, it wouldn't need to send every player a world state update.
    What is this supposed to mean, and how is that something unique to Stadia?

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    What is this supposed to mean, and how is that something unique to Stadia?

It's not unique to stadia, per se, but unique to these sorts of streaming services. Imagine a massively multiplayer game with the equivalent of modded content.. Like, the ability for players to put new assets into the game, and not just clever rearrangements of in game assets. These new models, textures, etc wouldn't need to be sent to every player, because the game is only saved on the server. The players only see video of what the server is rendering. It gives the players (and devs, for that matter) the ability to radically alter the game without pushing updates to every player.

It's not unique to stadia, per se, but unique to these sorts of streaming services. Imagine a massively multiplayer game with the equivalent of modded content.. Like, the ability for players to put new assets into the game, and not just clever rearrangements of in game assets. These new models, textures, etc wouldn't need to be sent to every player, because the game is only saved on the server. The players only see video of what the server is rendering. It gives the players (and devs, for that matter) the ability to radically alter the game without pushing updates to every player.
    That is kinda assuming that pushing updates to the world states to the players is more bandwidth-intensive then streaming steady high definition content with high frame rate to them, or that its less resource-intensive to do all the calculations on server farms then on a player's computer at home.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Stadia is for even more casual than console gamers. But it does have potential for some unique exclusive games. Basically massively multiplayer, persistent world games where the actual world is malleable. Because the world state is saved only on local hardware, and only images are sent to the players, it wouldn't need to send every player a world state update.
    It's launching with Baldur's Gate 3. That's not casual, and it's right up a console gamers ally, isn't it?
    I like hats.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    It's launching with Baldur's Gate 3. That's not casual, and it's right up a console gamers ally, isn't it?
    I mean even more casual in that there is even less investment needed to play. Stadia is significantly cheaper than buying one of the new Xbox or PS.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I mean even more casual in that there is even less investment needed to play. Stadia is significantly cheaper than buying one of the new Xbox or PS.
    Yeah. I have not owned a console game system since, I kid you not, the first version of the Xbox, and the first version of the Wii. I've never owned a single playstation (any version).

But this price point, which is basically $60 for the controller (or less from an off-brand) and $10 a month, is probably low enough to drag me in. And I don't need to upgrade my computer to play the latest game? And I can get the best graphics with my existing 35mps+ internet connection? And I can just plug it into my big TV with a cheap Chromecast device? These are all big plusses in my book. If they have some kids games available, and just a couple games I'd like to play as an adult, I am likely in.

I wonder how the games work? Do you pay for each game like normal? Can you rent games?
    I like hats.

• Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast