Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yeah January! Because '19 can't possibly be worse than '18....

Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Well after the two test ribbons I made, I've started a bit bigger project. A scarf. ^_^

Sure, it's going to be hour-glassed shaped, but ya gotta start somewhere.
    That's called drawing-in, and it's because you're pulling too much on your weft threads on each pick (row of weft). To alleviate this, when you pass your shuttle with your weft threads through the shed (space made by the warp threads being held apart), do not pull the weft snug. In fact, don't pull it straight, either. I make it look like the curve of half of a very oblong oval, where the weft on the rightmost side is touching the previous wefts, and the weft on the leftmost side is too, but the rest of it isn't. Then beat that pick in gently, but don't totally smoosh it all the way down flush with the previous picks, because you want to have a balanced weave with the same amount of space in between your warp threads, and a similar space in between your weft threads. This is called 'sett' in weaving, though that can also be applied to what most people call tartan.

Does that make sense?

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Kinda. I'm doing my best not to pull it taunt and I'm lightly tapping the weft threads down. I made myself a makeshift shuttle needle out of an old stick pen and a couple of paper-clips.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Yeah, it shouldn't even be snug, because of the way the weft works; the tension between the warp threads will put more tension on the weft threads than you realize, and once you have draw-in on your warp, it's nearly impossible to fix unless you go all Penelope on it. Also, make sure you only beat down *after* you change your shed.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Translate? I didn't quite get what you mean. Like I said, absolute beginner here.

I know the scarf I'm working on is going to look weird as all get out, but eh. Gotta start somewhere.

So, right now, I'm doing my best not to pull on the weft, it's already looking bigger. I'm not smooshing the weft down after I pull it through the warp threads.
    Last edited by kirinke; January 10th, 2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The scarf I'm working on is coming along. It's not hour glassed shaped, but I've slowly widened it to the width I want it to, so it's not doing too badly for a second attempt.

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I thought after the holidays things got slower?

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Bront View Post
    I thought after the holidays things got slower?
    lol. No.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I completed my scarf and it's not too shabby! I'm so stoked!

SCARF.jpg

The yellow bits are more green in real-life.

I did this all on a pink bead weaving loom lol. ^_^
    I just wanted to prove to myself I could make something with yarn. I've never been able to get the hang of crocheting, but weaving, weaving I now know I can do.
    Last edited by kirinke; January 17th, 2019 at 12:19 AM.

Good! I'm glad it turned out to be something you like. Tabby/plainweave is pretty simplistic, it's when you get into fancy twills, patterned weaves and looms with more than 4 harnesses that things get....complicated.

ETA: If you want to do more, I would seriously advise you to pick up Chandler's "Learning To Weave", which is about the best beginner's book out there, especially if you don't have a teacher or guild around. Black's "New Key To Weaving " is also good, and both of those are pretty easily found at used bookstores. Google books doesn't have either available for free, but they did have this one, which I think I have on one of my shelves somewhere.
    Last edited by Palaralae; January 17th, 2019 at 03:02 AM.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Lol. Once I get my paycheck, I'll pick one up along with a more appropriate loom (a very simple one).

Until then, I'll make do with what I have and free stuff. ^_^

Ooooh. I did not know that Kevlar thread that you could just go and buy was Actually A Thing.

Amazon is awesome.

There's got to be some game-meme where you plug in the last (X number or date-range) of things you bought, and that's like your equipment for being on a desert island, or being dropped into a parallel universe or something.

So, lessee...I'd have, hmm... a spool of Kevlar thread, 2 books by Seanan McGuire, a box of respirator dust masks, a book, a calendar, and some wool felt insoles.

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have decided to wait until payday to get the alligator-jawbone knife....

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I've used it before in jewelry making.

SNOW DAY!

Really kinda good, because we were supposed to get anywhere from 6 to 12 inches from the storm that began yesterday afternoon, and I'm guessing where I am we've got around 7. I stuck my head out the door this morning and immediately thought, "Oooh. I do *not* want to go out there. That looks like one great big Bad Idea. I really hope the phone rings." And then it did.

We already had Monday off for MLK and Friday is a teacher work day, so we have that off, too. Planning to head over to Seattle for an SCA event so long as it looks like the passes aren't gonna get hit on either Fri. or Sun.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    So my new puppy has developed two more hematomas on his head, the first one having dissipated completely now. He had blood tests show that he has a clotting deficiency, with no idea of the cause. Next step is sending a blood sample to Cornell where they can test individual clotting factors, but the vet has no idea really what could be causing the hematomas localized to the head. Tomorrow I'm supposed to pick up vitamin K supplements.

Sucks.

He has the 4th known case of a stupid rare genetic disorder causing clotting Factor X deficiency. His is super severe (6, when normal is 80-175). I'm going to have to put him down. I'm not happy, to say the least.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldorian View Post
    He has the 4th known case of a stupid rare genetic disorder causing clotting Factor X deficiency. His is super severe (6, when normal is 80-175). I'm going to have to put him down. I'm not happy, to say the least.
    That sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast