Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yeah January! Because '19 can't possibly be worse than '18....

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Yeah January! Because '19 can't possibly be worse than '18....
    2019 says 'Hold my beer.'
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Oh, NOW you show up. The voice thing sucks, though.
    Couldn't expect him to shout down the spammers with his voice out of action now could we?
    I wouldn't even censor you.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Holy hellfire, freezing rain is the WORST. We have ~6" of snow here and this morning it went from rain to freezing rain. So all the places where we have paths from walking and the snow is packed down, it's slick and icy. Had to pick my way uphill across treacherous ground to the ewe pen, the path around the back of the garage to the goat pens and the larger sheep pen was slick as fuck (especially when carrying large flakes of hay in one's arms). I'm super glad I had left one of the carts with most of a hay bale near the horses' pen so I could feed them directly from that without having to try to haul a cart with a fresh bale down a slippery hill. I was pretty sure I was going to end up on my ass at least once, but despite some slips with crazy balancing flails, I didn't. Yikes. Not going out again today except to the fabric room. Screw that noise.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, I wasn't gonna post this until things were more done-done, but...I changed my mind. But I am *NOT* posting this on FB yet (or even any mention of it) because this is for the masked ball at 12th Night next weekend, and if there's any contest of any sort, I wanna be a dark horse and blow everybody out of the water.

This is the dragon mask that was mostly done last year, but I ended up not officially going due to the concussion from Brienne kicking me in the head. So I decided to finish things this year, and found a way to get the horns wearable after getting frustrated and despairing over Shit Not Working Like I Want It To last year.

And then last week I decided out of the blue, "Oh, hey!! Why not do ear frills?! Every self-respecting dragon gotta have ear frills, right?" No problem! Then after I made the first one, I had an idea on how to get the mask on the big honkin' circlet, so I did a sort of a test-fit, and the mask horns ran right into the circlet horns. Fuck. So that's why the horns are currently tied together, since today I was reinforcing them to sit closer together; this gives them a better silhouette, reduces the risk of me beaning a rando fellow dancer in the eye, and will keep the mask horns out of the way. Did the very bottom horn layers and covering the metal of of the circlet this afternoon, it's still drying. Also made the second ear-frill today and will cut it to size tomorrow after it is hopefully dry. Did a test fit of hooking one of the wires to connect it to the circlet (the ones that are unwrapped/un-cloth-mached) and I think the look will work, not sure about the logistics working, but I am hopeful. *

I'm just about over half done with sewing a new Norse apron dress out of a 5X () wool herringbone twill coat in black and charcoal gray (found at a thrift store for chop-fabric), I am hoping it will sort of give the impression of scales. Need to make a black linen underdress, too.

I have approximately 6 days and have to go back to work from holiday vacation this coming Monday.

Fuuuuck.

Oh, and I didn't help myself out any by fucking about the other day with experiments in dyeing gar scales from the pound bag of them I just got. Jesus.

Pics show the difference with and without flash, because the colorshift paint I used as a top layer is really weird to photograph. It's even more strangely colorful in person.

mostly done mask & horns.JPGmostly done mask & horns2.JPGmask side view.JPGmask horns ear frill.JPGsecond ear frill drying.JPG

*I meant what I said about "insanely craft-ey". Emphasis on the "insanely."

Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I wouldn't even censor you.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, I actually made something with yarn today!

See, I suck at crochet, I never learned how to knit. I do know how to bead weave. So I took my bead loom and made a yarn hair ribbon on it.

When I was done, it looked vaguely like cloth and ribbony looking. So, all told, for a first try, I didn't do too badly.
    I probably need to get a proper hand loom or something. Mebbe I'll ask for one for my birthday or get one when I get a refund. If they ever fund the fucking government again.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Well, I actually made something with yarn today!

See, I suck at crochet, I never learned how to knit. I do know how to bead weave. So I took my bead loom and made a yarn hair ribbon on it.

When I was done, it looked vaguely like cloth and ribbony looking. So, all told, for a first try, I didn't do too badly.
    I probably need to get a proper hand loom or something. Mebbe I'll ask for one for my birthday or get one when I get a refund. If they ever fund the fucking government again.
    Good on you for making something. Care to post a pic?

Also, if you need any help/info about yarn, weaving, etc. feel free to ask.

A fairly inexpensive loom to just dink around with if you want to weave something like narrow fabric would be a rigid-heddle loom, though you can only weave tabby/plainweave with it. If you're more interested in weaving something like belts or hair-ribbons, look into inkle-weaving or tablet-weaving, both of which can be done on a 'loom' that looks like some angled boards with pegs coming off of them. You can make some really amazing-looking stuff with either method, and they both go way back in textile history, especially tablet-weaving (all the way to Hallstatt culture).

If you want to do fancy cordage, you can also get a lucet to make that too, that's a good thing to have for a simple, small, hand-project. Lucet is the gateway drug to kumihimo, though. Be warned.
    Last edited by Palaralae; January 6th, 2019 at 07:14 AM.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Lol. I think I'll start small, since I know dick about cloth weaving. I do know from experience that the biggest mistake a beginner can is take on a project too big. So ribbony/scarf projects are probably not a bad idea.

I'm just amazed that I was able to make something cloth-like on something that really wasn't made for cloth weaving. Lol.

I'll probably make another one today. I gave the first one to my sister.

I think I'd go with a simple frame loom. Like I said, absolute beginner.
    Last edited by kirinke; January 6th, 2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Lol. I think I'll start small, since I know dick about cloth weaving. I do know from experience that the biggest mistake a beginner can is take on a project too big. So ribbony/scarf projects are probably not a bad idea.

I'm just amazed that I was able to make something cloth-like on something that really wasn't made for cloth weaving. Lol.

I'll probably make another one today. I gave the first one to my sister.

Must be extremely recent experience, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User

People get hung up in thinking weaving must be terribly complicated; while it can be, it certainly doesn't have to be. All a loom is in reality, is just a couple of sticks to hold your warp at tension. The rest is really just window dressing when it comes down to it. If I can build a Viking warp-weighted loom from a few pieces of lumber, it is not a complicated thing.

You can get a frame loom and then get a rigid heddle separately that you can put on it. It will make your work much easier and of better quality than trying to work with shed sticks or doing pick-up. Trust me on this one.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Lol. I bow to those with greater experience. Right now, I'm just using a bead loom. My prior mistake was I think I didn't leave enough space between the warp threads. I know I need to mind my tension with the weft thread. Mind you, this is only my second attempt at cloth weaving.

WEAVING 2.jpg
    Last edited by kirinke; January 8th, 2019 at 02:38 AM.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well after the two test ribbons I made, I've started a bit bigger project. A scarf. ^_^

Sure, it's going to be hour-glassed shaped, but ya gotta start somewhere.

Province
    US
    Oratio

Ignore User
    So my new puppy has developed two more hematomas on his head, the first one having dissipated completely now. He had blood tests show that he has a clotting deficiency, with no idea of the cause. Next step is sending a blood sample to Cornell where they can test individual clotting factors, but the vet has no idea really what could be causing the hematomas localized to the head. Tomorrow I'm supposed to pick up vitamin K supplements.

Sucks.

I can't believe it's an admin COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Bront's Avatar
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Oh, NOW you show up. The voice thing sucks, though.
    Yeah, yeah.

My voice is almost back.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. There was that giant flying head in that film, right? Someone took me to see it in a theatre. I didn't get it. That outfit looks sort of uncomfortable. Don't know about you, but if I get into a gunfight, I like to wear more clothes. Maybe even a little kevlar.

BTW, I think it takes place in 2293, so we have to wait a while before glamming it up.
    Last edited by shiningbrow; January 10th, 2019 at 05:58 AM.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast