Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: So I could become an Austrian (dual) citizen.

  1. #1
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,366

    Ignore User

    So I could become an Austrian (dual) citizen.

    So, I could become an Austrian citizen. I'd be a dual citizen with the US, and have an Austrian passport along with my U.S. passport.

    I am not sure how I feel about that.

    On the one hand, I've done nothing to earn that, and contributed nothing to Austria.

    Onn the other hand, Austria stole everything my grandparents owned including their thriving business and property, forced them to flee the nation with just the clothing on their back, and murdered their parents and brothers and sisters and uncles and aunts and cousins and most of the people they knew, and stole everything they owned as well. So it's hard to feel bad about not having contributed to their nation.

    And, assuming my daughter could obtain that citizenship once I did, under Austrian law, "Students with...citizenship...pay a tuition fee of €363.36 per semester " at Austrian universities. That's $414.84/semester. She'd have to learn German however...

    I don't really know what to think of this concept. Right now I am not particularly inclinded to take them up on it...but maybe?
    I like hats.

 

  • #2
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,302

    Ignore User
    I'd do it. Even if you don't use it, it's possible your daughter or her offspring might end up being really thankful for it.

    Plus, if for some reason things get seriously really bad here in the U.S., you have a bolthole even if you don't need it.

    Also, makes it easier to go on a treasure-hunting adventure for the Amber Room. It's *got* to be in Austria. Got to.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

  • #3
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,366

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    I'd do it. Even if you don't use it, it's possible your daughter or her offspring might end up being really thankful for it.

    Plus, if for some reason things get seriously really bad here in the U.S., you have a bolthole even if you don't need it.

    Also, makes it easier to go on a treasure-hunting adventure for the Amber Room. It's *got* to be in Austria. Got to.
    My wife is Canadian, and if we ever had to leave it would be to Canada where she has relatives. Not that we will ever have to leave.
    I like hats.

  • #4
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,583

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    Onn the other hand, Austria stole everything...
    To be fair, it wasn't exactly Austria doing that... but I get that the distinction is unuseful and pedantic.
    I wouldn't even censor you.

  • #5
    self admitted prolifer kirinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    7,408

    Ignore User
    Canada is probably your best choice. At least you know the language.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

    I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

  • #6
    Haulin ass shiningbrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    4,847

    Ignore User
    I'm sorry for the loss and pain your family has endured. But I'd take them up on it, as Palaralae says, there may be some advantages down the road that may arise. Your daughter's path is indeterminate, but maybe she'll want to study there or in another country that has reciprocal privileges of some sort. You can never learn too many languages.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

  • #7
    a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio
    3,302

    Ignore User
    Canada is definitely the better/easier option, I hadn't realized your wife is Canadian. But I'd still take up Austria on their offer.

    Never discard a useful tool, after all.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

  • #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    So, I could become an Austrian citizen. I'd be a dual citizen with the US, and have an Austrian passport along with my U.S. passport.

    I am not sure how I feel about that.

    On the one hand, I've done nothing to earn that, and contributed nothing to Austria.

    Onn the other hand, Austria stole everything my grandparents owned including their thriving business and property, forced them to flee the nation with just the clothing on their back, and murdered their parents and brothers and sisters and uncles and aunts and cousins and most of the people they knew, and stole everything they owned as well. So it's hard to feel bad about not having contributed to their nation.

    And, assuming my daughter could obtain that citizenship once I did, under Austrian law, "Students with...citizenship...pay a tuition fee of 363.36 per semester " at Austrian universities. That's $414.84/semester. She'd have to learn German however...

    I don't really know what to think of this concept. Right now I am not particularly inclinded to take them up on it...but maybe?
    Would she want to study in Austria? It's far from home. If she wants, maybe it's worth it.

    German isn't that hard, even I learned it.

  • #9
    EVOLVED: extra chromosome! Zappo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Patavium, Gallia Transpadana
    Oratio
    3,350

    Ignore User
    I don't know that much about the US higher education system, but from what I gather, being able to get in a good EU university, with EU-level tuition fees, but without paying EU-level taxes all your life, should be a pretty sweet deal.

    And if I were you I wouldn't think twice about not having contributed to Austria. Maybe it was not exactly Austria that did "that", but after "that" was over, Austria did not exactly rush out to give your family's stuff back. Quite the opposite.

    Also, as Palaralae said, never discard a useful tool. If it has no downsides, why not?
    You say that I am testing the gods' patience? Oh... I'd rather call myself an experimental theologian.
    Factol Terrance

  • #10
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Makes perfect sense given the neo-Nazi government that's in power. He'll fit right in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #11
    self admitted prolifer kirinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    7,408

    Ignore User
    Kzach, give it a rest.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

    I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

  • #12
    can't be bothered Eldorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Province
    US
    Oratio
    4,996

    Ignore User
    On the one hand, citizenship goes both ways, and you don't owe Austria shit. On the other hand, a EU passport could make retirement more interesting.

  • #13
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Kzach, give it a rest.
    Fuck off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #14
    Haulin ass shiningbrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio
    4,847

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    Fuck off.
    Romance is in the air.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

  • #15
    self admitted prolifer kirinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio
    7,408

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    Romance is in the air.
    Not really. Just continously calling Mistwell a Nazi is silly.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

    I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

    My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •