Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thankful November Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    I was talking with my doctor about, just general chit-chat through the visit and he said it was because your immune system is so fucked up (my paraphrasing, he was much nicer about) from the main disease and the treatments like cemo and radiation, any little thing can fuck you over in a big way.

It's the main reason why I made damn sure all my shots were up to date. Y'know, flu and such. I don't want my mom catching my crud and dying from it. Some years I do fudge it, but not this year. It's silly and dangerous not to make sure you're up to date, I know for a variety of reasons.

I'm more cognizant of it though. I'm now like, whatever shots you think I need? Do it. I am proudly not an anti-vaxxer
    I can't do flu shots. I'm very allergic to poultry, with chicken being the worst. Just getting an allergy test, the chicken test affected me so much the nurse gave me Benadryl immediately after it was over. Flu shots are cultured in chicken eggs, and while my doctor said he was pretty sure it wouldn't affect me, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    You can get flu shots that aren't cultured in chicken eggs.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vacc...ok-vaccine.htm
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

You can get flu shots that aren't cultured in chicken eggs.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vacc...ok-vaccine.htm
    Wow! Thanks! I never heard of that and my doctor never mentioned it. I'm going to have to look up where to get those shots at.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I think booze came first. Mainly because it's so easy to ferment things. All you need is something starchy or sugary and a little time. Hell, I read a story earlier this week that people thought some raccoons were rabid. Turned out they were just drunk from over-ripe crab apples that had begun to ferment. I also read that it isn't uncommon for birds and other critters to get tipsy from fermented fruit and berries. So yeah. I think booze came first.

There is also the fact that brewing alchohol isn't as hard as raising critters for milk.
    Technically both intentional fermentation (not just overripe or fermented-on-the-vine fruit) and cheesemaking are thought to very likely predate any written or hard archaeological evidence, so it's largely a chicken-or-egg sort of question. We have ~13,000-year-old residue of something that might be loosely-termed "beer" or just some gruel that went naturally fermented, but we also have shards of what are very likely curd-strainers from about that time as well. It's not difficult to raise critters for milk if you're a pastoral nomad, and using stomachs to store milk is far easier technology-wise than the processing and fermentation process of either grain or fruit.

But both alcoholish substances and cheese have been around for a VERY long time either way, and thank the gods for that.

Edit: Where's that hilarious video of the Very Drunk Squirrel in the snow when I want to share it, anyhow? There it is.
    Last edited by Palaralae; November 19th, 2018 at 03:31 AM.
    "And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Overtime, though, yeah? If not, go home at 8 hours. If they want the project done, they should pay you.
    No overtime. I'm "exempt" and not covered by Civil Service despite being a county government employee. The loss of Civil Service coverage, we're told, is the price we paid for having our salaries raised to [something approaching the lower end of the range of] private sector salaries last year.

Working over 40 hours a week as needed is baked into the employment agreement, right alongside "other duties as required" which preempts claims of "that's not my job.".
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Technically both intentional fermentation (not just overripe or fermented-on-the-vine fruit) and cheesemaking are thought to very likely predate any written or hard archaeological evidence, so it's largely a chicken-or-egg sort of question. We have ~13,000-year-old residue of something that might be loosely-termed "beer" or just some gruel that went naturally fermented, but we also have shards of what are very likely curd-strainers from about that time as well. It's not difficult to raise critters for milk if you're a pastoral nomad, and using stomachs to store milk is far easier technology-wise than the processing and fermentation process of either grain or fruit.

But both alcoholish substances and cheese have been around for a VERY long time either way, and thank the gods for that.

Edit: Where's that hilarious video of the Very Drunk Squirrel in the snow when I want to share it, anyhow? There it is.
    Can someone cover me?

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    Wow! Thanks! I never heard of that and my doctor never mentioned it. I'm going to have to look up where to get those shots at.
    Talk with your doctor about it. He or she might be able to order them.
    Last edited by kirinke; November 19th, 2018 at 10:31 AM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User

Well berry and fruit gathering started looong before herding and as I said, it's stupid easy to get fermenting started in berries and fruits. Soooo. I think booze came first just from that fact.

Once bread came on the scene, grain and cereal based alcohol probably quickly followed.
    Last edited by kirinke; November 19th, 2018 at 06:54 PM.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, I'm going home for Thanksgiving next Wednesday. My mother's birthday was on the 12th, so we'll celebrate her birthday at Thanksgiving. I'm going to get her a nice warm nightgown or jammies and maybe some warm slippers.

A month ago, we had a real scare with her, we thought she was going to die. At one point the doctors were giving her 48 hrs to live! She pulled through though after the doctors gave her some sort of blood-medicine combo. So this Thanksgiving we have something to be very thankful for.
    I'm glad your mom is still around for Thanksgiving. That's an aspect of the holidays I really miss. I have no older relatives in my family outside of my inlaws who live abroad, so I mostly try to feed friends over the holidays as I like to hold a big dinner party.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningbrow View Post
    I'm glad your mom is still around for Thanksgiving. That's an aspect of the holidays I really miss. I have no older relatives in my family outside of my inlaws who live abroad, so I mostly try to feed friends over the holidays as I like to hold a big dinner party.
    I just got her a nice, warm and soft nightgown with a pretty print on it. She should like it.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    That video of the drunken squirrel was hilarious.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, kirinke, and that your Mom is well.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

This weekend I am going to visit my sister and brother-in-law and my newborn niece! So excited!

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    This weekend I am going to visit my sister and brother-in-law and my newborn niece! So excited!
    Cool, man!
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Official WW highlights reel got released just the other day! Really nicely-done video, and the track they picked to accompany it was so good I immediately bought it.

I cannot wait for the end of September next year, dear gods.

"And now? With no drunks? There ain't no bums.
    And with no bums, there ain't no muthafuckas to feed the ducks at the park.
    What's a fuckin' town with no ducks, J-Tro? It's nothin'! IT AIN'T NOTHIN!
    How's a ***** to sort his shit out without no DUCKS?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Official WW highlights reel got released just the other day! Really nicely-done video, and the track they picked to accompany it was so good I immediately bought it.
    Not Baba O'Reilly?
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

• Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast