Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thankful November Thoughts

Recently I was reading an article about the problem of fish populations being critically low due to too much fishing, and wondered how I could extend the saying...

Give a man a fish, and and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    Teach mankind to fish, and you're out of fish after a lifetime.

Still needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    Well, at least he didn't say something terribly stupid that would have had us all frothing at the mouth, like "Oh, it's a festival rather like Burning Man."

My panels at OryCon went well; nobody showed up to my archery thing until like 5 min. before my start time, which was starting to worry me a little. So since the tennis courts were down in this sunken area with some nice natural backstop of earth, I passed the ~30 min or so I had to spare after setting up by getting some practice in, doing walking shots, various yardages, etc. Also sort of testing to see if permissions/communications had happened and if I was going to have anyone hustle out there to tell me to Stop Doing That Please. I found out from someone who caught up to me later that I was being keenly observed by some folks up in the green room & in hospitality, but they were apparently more gleefully-entertained than anything else.

I went after the last of the feral apples that are left on trees after work today to kill time until going to a free talk by someone I've always been intrigued by, Dr. Temple Grandin. Interesting lady, and I'm super glad I got to hear her talk. The place was packed.

Back down to Portland this Saturday for a NW Wastelanders meetup. Wheeee!
    That sounds awesome. I've always wanted to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow properly. The cheap ren fair bows are fun, but even I can tell that they are pieces of junk.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    Recently I was reading an article about the problem of fish populations being critically low due to too much fishing, and wondered how I could extend the saying...

Still needs work.
    Teach mankind to farm fish and manage their natural resources and it might last a few more life times.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post

Still needs work.
    Last line should be, "Teach a man he can make a nice profit from selling fish and he'll industrialize the process."
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Teach a man to ferment things, and he'll make booze from it.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

a figment of your imagination COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Palaralae's Avatar
    Province
    Northern Idaho
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    That sounds awesome. I've always wanted to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow properly. The cheap ren fair bows are fun, but even I can tell that they are pieces of junk.
    I'm not sure exactly what you're referencing with "cheap ren fair bows", but some bow dealers do sell at faires. Seven Meadows Archery comes immediately to mind, and those are not cheap in either price or quality. I'd be willing to bet they were the ones supplying the recurve bows for Game of Thrones, when I saw the one Ramsay was shooting at Wun Wun, my first thought was "Shit, I got money that says those are the Hun bows from Seven Meadows," since I've drooled over those for a while.

Look around your local area to see if there's an archery league (it's gaining popularity so that indoor shooting ranges are more common), or look up your local SCA branch, since they're very likely to have weekly or monthly archery practices, and you will easily find someone to teach you instinctive archery and likely loan you equipment as well. Do check out different styles of bow to see what you fancy; I might be Ms. Viking in just about everything else, but I am totally in love with Asiatic composite recurves. One of these days I'll make the jump to shooting properly Eastern and get a decent thumbring as well as breaking through my being mentally weirded out by the idea of shooting off the right-hand side of the bow.

Edit: Here's a link where you can find a range/shop near you.

Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Teach a man to ferment things, and he'll make booze from it.
    But not before he makes yogurt or cheese, first.
    Last edited by Palaralae; November 17th, 2018 at 03:49 AM.
    "I'll tell you something," he said, as if he had said nothing that day. "You're walking on gallows ground, and there's a rope around your neck and a raven-bird on each shoulder waiting for your eyes, and the gallows tree has deep roots, for it stretches from heaven to hell, and our world is only the branch from which the rope is swinging."

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well, I'm going home for Thanksgiving next Wednesday. My mother's birthday was on the 12th, so we'll celebrate her birthday at Thanksgiving. I'm going to get her a nice warm nightgown or jammies and maybe some warm slippers.

A month ago, we had a real scare with her, we thought she was going to die. At one point the doctors were giving her 48 hrs to live! She pulled through though after the doctors gave her some sort of blood-medicine combo. So this Thanksgiving we have something to be very thankful for.
    Last edited by kirinke; November 17th, 2018 at 04:57 PM.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    But not before he makes yogurt or cheese, first.
    I think booze came first. Mainly because it's so easy to ferment things. All you need is something starchy or sugary and a little time. Hell, I read a story earlier this week that people thought some raccoons were rabid. Turned out they were just drunk from over-ripe crab apples that had begun to ferment. I also read that it isn't uncommon for birds and other critters to get tipsy from fermented fruit and berries. So yeah. I think booze came first.

There is also the fact that brewing alchohol isn't as hard as raising critters for milk.
    Last edited by kirinke; November 17th, 2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you're referencing with "cheap ren fair bows", but some bow dealers do sell at faires. Seven Meadows Archery comes immediately to mind, and those are not cheap in either price or quality. I'd be willing to bet they were the ones supplying the recurve bows for Game of Thrones, when I saw the one Ramsay was shooting at Wun Wun, my first thought was "Shit, I got money that says those are the Hun bows from Seven Meadows," since I've drooled over those for a while.
    Not bows for sale. The ones you can use to shoot targets with if you pay a few bucks. The ones at the Ren Fair here in Los Angeles are cheap as fuck

Look around your local area to see if there's an archery league (it's gaining popularity so that indoor shooting ranges are more common), or look up your local SCA branch, since they're very likely to have weekly or monthly archery practices, and you will easily find someone to teach you instinctive archery and likely loan you equipment as well. Do check out different styles of bow to see what you fancy; I might be Ms. Viking in just about everything else, but I am totally in love with Asiatic composite recurves. One of these days I'll make the jump to shooting properly Eastern and get a decent thumbring as well as breaking through my being mentally weirded out by the idea of shooting off the right-hand side of the bow.
    If I can free up some time, I'll do that. I've been wanting to start archery for years, but haven't done it.

Edit: Here's a link where you can find a range/shop near you.
    Thanks! Added that to my bookmarks.

Well, I'm going home for Thanksgiving next Wednesday. My mother's birthday was on the 12th, so we'll celebrate her birthday at Thanksgiving. I'm going to get her a nice warm nightgown or jammies and maybe some warm slippers.

A month ago, we had a real scare with her, we thought she was going to die. At one point the doctors were giving her 48 hrs to live! She pulled through though after the doctors gave her some sort of blood-medicine combo. So this Thanksgiving we have something to be very thankful for.
    Wow! Go mom! Glad she pulled through and will be present for your Thanksgiving.

Go, Mom, indeed.

Nothing so dramatic for me. A coworker and I have been putting in long hours on a project whose deadline was never certain but always short. As County employees, Veterans' Day should have given us a 32-hour work week. I worked 51 hours and I'm sure he did more. (We worked last Saturday, and both of us, veterans, worked 9 hours or more on Monday.) So I'm thankful just to have a two-day weekend now.
    Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    Wow! Go mom! Glad she pulled through and will be present for your Thanksgiving.
    It wasn't the cancer or her COPD, but a blood clot! From what I've seen, it's not the main disease that gets you, but complications arising from it. But she dodged it, thank god.

It wasn't the cancer or her COPD, but a blood clot! From what I've seen, it's not the main disease that gets you, but complications arising from it. But she dodged it, thank god.
    Yep. I work for a good size law office that helps people get federal disability. I've seen a number of pulmonary embolism survivors and had to read the records of what they went through.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    Go, Mom, indeed.

Nothing so dramatic for me. A coworker and I have been putting in long hours on a project whose deadline was never certain but always short. As County employees, Veterans' Day should have given us a 32-hour work week. I worked 51 hours and I'm sure he did more. (We worked last Saturday, and both of us, veterans, worked 9 hours or more on Monday.) So I'm thankful just to have a two-day weekend now.
    Overtime, though, yeah? If not, go home at 8 hours. If they want the project done, they should pay you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I was talking with my doctor about, just general chit-chat through the visit and he said it was because your immune system is so fucked up (my paraphrasing, he was much nicer about) from the main disease and the treatments like cemo and radiation, any little thing can fuck you over in a big way.

It's the main reason why I made damn sure all my shots were up to date. Y'know, flu and such. I don't want my mom catching my crud and dying from it. Some years I do fudge it, but not this year. It's silly and dangerous not to make sure you're up to date, I know for a variety of reasons.

I'm more cognizant of it though. I'm now like, whatever shots you think I need? Do it. I am proudly not an anti-vaxxer
    Last edited by kirinke; November 18th, 2018 at 05:15 PM.

• Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast