Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thankful November Thoughts

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    I'll buy a lottery ticket.
    Never give up the dream dude! There's always a winner. It's just never me.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I woke up early, I gave my cat a 20 minute attention spree, complete with ruler, string and mega petting. The ruler is a combination back-scratcher and toy. I always put the string up so she can't eat them of course. So now she's a happy kitty-cat.
    Last edited by kirinke; November 6th, 2018 at 11:37 AM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Gaaahhh! I really wish folks that are con chairs and programming chairs could Get Their Shit Together, or at least ensure their programming software does.

I'm going to a new con this weekend since I was approached by the programming chair to come and do/demo/teach stuff. So I submitted an idea like a month ago via their software for a Wasteland panel. No notification that it went through, even after I asked her a week later, "Hey, do you want a Wasteland panel, and did my submission go through, etc.?"

They send me my itinerary early this week, no Wasteland panel on it. Three other panels that she put me on, including one on archery that I'm solo-ing and it's not terribly clear exactly *what* she wants from me for it; what am I teaching? What is the focus? It's on a tennis court at the hotel, do you, um, actually want me to shoot anything there? Is the hotel/city/cops/security going to have a problem with it if I do? I also message her and say basically, "Hey, it's cool if you don't want or are undecided about the Wasteland panel, I can try it out at RadCon in a few months instead."

Then I literally look at the master schedule on the website to see if I'll actually have time to go to anything that isn't opposed to my schedule....and there's a Wasteland panel with my name on it, and my original wording/blurb that I submitted via their software like a month ago. But I didn't hear anything about whether it was happening, so I have nothing really prepped.

YAY. I have like 2 days to work on this.

Still no word on what exactly she wants for the archery panel other than "Do whatever you like, and the hotel didn't say we *couldn't* do archery out there..."

Dark the stars and dark the moon
    Hush the night and the morning loon
    Tell the horses and beat on your drum
    Gone their master, gone their son.

Dark the oceans, dark the sky
    Hush the whales and the ocean tide
    Tell the salt marsh and beat on your drum

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Palaralae View Post
    YAY. I have like 2 days to work on this.
    I wouldn't do it. I'd alert the con staff that with two days to prep (and that you repeatedly asked if it was approved and were told nothing) you don't have time now to host it. Let the incompetent bitch hang.

Still no word on what exactly she wants for the archery panel other than "Do whatever you like, and the hotel didn't say we *couldn't* do archery out there..."
    Do it, just make it purely informational only. No arrows. Stupid bitch wants to leave you holding the bag... or do eeet! Bring targets and let people archery away and let the hotel deal with her stupidity when they complain and you have printed out proof she said it was okay. Fucking burn her in every way possible.
    I can delete you, one click and you're overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    I wouldn't do it. I'd alert the con staff that with two days to prep (and that you repeatedly asked if it was approved and were told nothing) you don't have time now to host it. Let the incompetent bitch hang.

I thought about it, honestly. But when I finally got a response from her the other night after asking "Is the main schedule accurate?" I told her that I didn't care one way or the other if it was cancelled or a go, just let me know. I also thought it was odd that she has two other people as panelists (one whom I know as a fellow costumer and am cool with) when waaaay back when I had been talking about submitting it, she had asked if I was okay soloing it. My other Biggest Pet Peeve about doing stuff at cons is when they stick Some Random Author on your panel (who's usually there to primarily hawk their book ) who doesn't really contribute much to the panel, but you feel like an ass if you don't demonstratively work to include them and give them some speaking time.

Which they invariably end up using to hawk their book(s).

Do it, just make it purely informational only. No arrows. Stupid bitch wants to leave you holding the bag... or do eeet! Bring targets and let people archery away and let the hotel deal with her stupidity when they complain and you have printed out proof she said it was okay. Fucking burn her in every way possible.
    Yeah, no. Still responsible for handing someone a weapon if things go terribly awry, and I don't want Clueless News damaging my gear, either. I'd rather have my name/wordfame associated with things like "she puts on a really awesome panel/experience with little oversight needed, and on an amazingly close schedule" rather than "she bailed and nothing happened, even though there was good reason." And I think the con attendees are the ones who ultimately suffer; she might get a "your communication/organization skills need a boost" at the roses/onions meeting afterwards, whereas maybe there were people who saw the panel on the schedule and were really looking forward to going to it, only to get to the con and find out it's not happening. That's often par for the course with cons, but I've still been on that shit end of the stick; it adds negative points to the whole con experience and can affect the decision to attend in following years.

It's definitely going to be an informational-only thing, though I will bring a bag/block target and I'll scope out the area and see if I personally feel cool with me firing a couple shots, which I might do. I'm even dithering on whether I should let a (used, older) broadhead even be passed around (I like to put things into peoples' hands to teach, not just looking) because I feel like even if I say "This is a real, honest-to-goodness hunting point. It is VERY SHARP. It will cut you if you touch the blades. Please don't touch the blades," that someone, not even a dumb kid, is probably going to touch it & cut themselves on it. Sigh. Probably not a good idea.

Though I have to admit, the best "communications issue" episode was either last year or the year before at RadCon. I put my knife/'hawk-throwing demo where yes, I teach everyone who steps up how to throw, and they get a few tries at the targets. It's immensely popular. It's on the schedule, I have brought All My Shit, and since the location says "courtyard", I'm trying to find the programming chair since Friday afternoon when I got there to ask her exactly where she or the hotel would like me to set up. There's a grassy area that is closer to the hotel (and the patio doors of various rooms) which I prefer, and a concrete little amphitheater (where we've had archery & crossbow demos before) farther away from rooms, which I do not prefer because the grassy area is actually safer because shit won't bounce like they can on concrete (also, damaging my shit). Can't find this lady, though there's basically an APB for her to come find me and talk to me. Finally see someone matching her description (looking harried and pulling a small red wagon) on Sat. morning, about 2 hours before the demo. I go up to and ask her if she's the programming chair, hello I'm your knife-thrower, what is going on.

Turns out there was a "communications issue" with the hotel, and they do not want me to have newbs throwing weapons. At all. Anywhere. So, I could theoretically teach people form, and let them handle, just not throw. How fucking lame and disappointing is that? So I ask if the hotel has a problem with *me* throwing, and she says that they didn't say anything about that. So fine, I take that and run with it, and let people handle stuff, but do a LOT of talking to fill up the time, and I do some throwing, all the while waiting for con security or someone from the hotel to be marching sternly over to me. Well, maybe not so sternly if I've got a knife or a 'hawk in hand. Nothing happened, no freak-outs, no afterwords of "hey you absolutely can NOT do that next time" etc.

So, fine, I don't offer that to RadCon any more. MisCon (and their hotel) is cool, loves the knife/'hawk demo, and EVEN BUILT ME AN ENCLOSED THROWING LANE for archery & knife stuff to skirt the city law about "projectiles" in public space. Though before that happened, what prompted it was me showing my atlatl to some folks and tossing a couple darts, not even 100'. To their credit, security was really cool about it, but we found out real quick that somehow nobody from the con either knew or had told us we couldn't do anything projectile outside.

That was the con we ended up shooting and throwing stuff into, I kid you not, a hastily-rented large U-Haul truck. It was a shitshow, and a bunch of us were Rather Pissed, but it still went off and people had fun.

The show must go on, after all.
    Last edited by Palaralae; November 7th, 2018 at 06:17 PM.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yeah, no.
    But how is she going to learn not to put her tits on the stove if she doesn't get burned?

But how is she going to learn not to put her tits on the stove if she doesn't get burned?
    Oh, I didn't say she wouldn't be dealing with me after​ the con.

Looks like the Fox news channel from L.A. did a decent piece on us Wastelanders this year when they sent out a reporter to the Wastes. I was quietly amused and gladdened that he mentioned that is Not Okay to show up in mundane clothes, and he put it in a positive light how folks got him clothes to fit in and not break immersion.

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    The only sure fire way to totally destroy fucking fire ants. Plus maybe make a buck off it:

Training video on ant hill art

Die you fucking little cocksuckers! Drown and burn in fiery molten metal!

They're like real life kobolds. Fuckers.

I hate fire ants. But they make pretty sculptures.
    Last edited by kirinke; November 15th, 2018 at 01:59 AM.

Province
    The Flow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    They're like real life kobolds.
    Little blue German miners? What do you have against them?

Province
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Lol. Nothing, but if you invade their space, they're over you like fire ants.

Looks like the Fox news channel from L.A. did a decent piece on us Wastelanders this year when they sent out a reporter to the Wastes. I was quietly amused and gladdened that he mentioned that is Not Okay to show up in mundane clothes, and he put it in a positive light how folks got him clothes to fit in and not break immersion.
    Even broken clocks get it right twice a day.

My sister gave birth to her first child today, a girl!

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Congratulations, Uncle Mustrum.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    Even broken clocks get it right twice a day.
    Well, at least he didn't say something terribly stupid that would have had us all frothing at the mouth, like "Oh, it's a festival rather like Burning Man."

My panels at OryCon went well; nobody showed up to my archery thing until like 5 min. before my start time, which was starting to worry me a little. So since the tennis courts were down in this sunken area with some nice natural backstop of earth, I passed the ~30 min or so I had to spare after setting up by getting some practice in, doing walking shots, various yardages, etc. Also sort of testing to see if permissions/communications had happened and if I was going to have anyone hustle out there to tell me to Stop Doing That Please. I found out from someone who caught up to me later that I was being keenly observed by some folks up in the green room & in hospitality, but they were apparently more gleefully-entertained than anything else.

I went after the last of the feral apples that are left on trees after work today to kill time until going to a free talk by someone I've always been intrigued by, Dr. Temple Grandin. Interesting lady, and I'm super glad I got to hear her talk. The place was packed.

Back down to Portland this Saturday for a NW Wastelanders meetup. Wheeee!

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast