Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: We're All Going To Die Because Idiots Rule the World

  1. #16
    I don't FEEL wealthy. Ulrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    Oslo
    Oratio
    4,279

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    People like who? How is that bacon wrapped hamburger tasting by the way?
    I don't own a car, I don't have air conditioning, and I don't have all that much money. Trying to limit my meat intake as well. (Of course, just living in Norway negates most of this with our "cleanest oil in the world" bullshit.)

    Yet we can't do this on an individual level. Step one would be to vote out all climate deniers out of office, such as the entire republican party and their various body doubles all over the world. And that will never happen, because people will go "my car!" "teh gays" and "teh libtards!" while the world burns.

    And it is totally people like you. Stop moaning about bacon sandwiches and find your most radical local politician and start fighting for her or him.

 

  • #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    I don't own a car, I don't have air conditioning, and I don't have all that much money. Trying to limit my meat intake as well. (Of course, just living in Norway negates most of this with our "cleanest oil in the world" bullshit.)

    Yet we can't do this on an individual level. Step one would be to vote out all climate deniers out of office, such as the entire republican party and their various body doubles all over the world. And that will never happen, because people will go "my car!" "teh gays" and "teh libtards!" while the world burns.

    And it is totally people like you. Stop moaning about bacon sandwiches and find your most radical local politician and start fighting for her or him.
    We aren't going to burn(well, other than California anyway). Not now. Not in 25 years. Not in a century. As heat rises, so will ocean evaporation. The earth will become warmer, more humid, and rain a lot. It will be like going back a few hundred million years to when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

  • #18
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,394

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    I don't own a car, I don't have air conditioning, and I don't have all that much money. Trying to limit my meat intake as well. (Of course, just living in Norway negates most of this with our "cleanest oil in the world" bullshit.)

    Yet we can't do this on an individual level. Step one would be to vote out all climate deniers out of office, such as the entire republican party and their various body doubles all over the world. And that will never happen, because people will go "my car!" "teh gays" and "teh libtards!" while the world burns.

    And it is totally people like you. Stop moaning about bacon sandwiches and find your most radical local politician and start fighting for her or him.
    LOL dude, my entire locality, my entire city, my entire county, and my entire state political structure right up and down the aisle is Democratic. From dog catcher to Governor, they are all Democrats, and tending towards the progressive end. There is no such thing as voting a climate denier out of office where I live - there are none. Even the few Republicans in my region who run are not climate deniers - they couldn't be, and hope to run. Not here.

    And my city, despite not only being run by all Democrats but by having several generations of Democrats having run it before them, has an incredibly shitty public transportation system. I've certainly taken the bus to work before, but it's extremely difficult and takes an extra entire hour for the commute. And when I drop my kid off at school - which right now is every day - it's impossible. My kids school is so far from a bus stop that it would be impossible to use any public transportation to get her there. And I know people who live in parts of the city where their nearest bus stop is 5 miles of mountainous terrain between them and it.

    And when we fund construction of public transportation - it doesn't happen. Because a one party system is corrupt - no matter what party and what decade you look at. But we still pour more and more money into it, and raise our taxes over and over for it, knowing it will never fix the problem. In fact, if those politicians HAD a genuine opposition competing against them, maybe we could do something about that corruption and try and get actual public transportation here, but that's impossible in this city and state.

    Meanwhile, you're still eating meat, which harms the environment more than my car, and lecturing other people about their cars. Look in the mirror my friend. You want to blame others? Start with yourself. Do not give me this "trying to limit my meat intake " bullshit. What "trying?" You just stop fucking eating meat. You say you're poor, well then meat is more expensive than non-meat meals as well, so you're going out of your way to spend extra money you don't have in your "trying," which is bullshit. You just stop eating it. There is nothing about your life which requires meat - certainly it will be a fuck of a lot easier for you to stop eating meat than it would be for me to get my kid to school without the use of a car.

    [As for air conditioner - Of course you don't have a fucking air conditioner, you live in Oslo! Your average high temperature this year was 73F (22C) in July! Meanwhile, my house reached 117F this year (47C). People die in my city without air conditioner. That's not hyperbole, people actually die when their A/C goes out here, and we put out advisories about places to go with A/C for those whose A/C cuts out on them. We use it the least amount we can - because it's super expensive and heavily taxed and carbon offsets are paid. But don't tell me you'd be just fine without it in 47C weather because you wouldn't.]
    Last edited by Mistwell; October 12th, 2018 at 11:35 PM.
    I like hats.

  • #19
    56% of an excuse nail bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Province
    Kekistan
    Oratio
    29,839

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    Your children will die cursing your names.
    I did my part by not having children, when will you do your part citizen?



    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    People like who? How is that bacon wrapped hamburger tasting by the way?
    Tastes like victory!



    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    LOL dude, my entire locality, my entire city, my entire county, and my entire state political structure right up and down the aisle is Democratic.
    Every time some pie-in-the-sky friend of mine waxes longingly for the "complete Democratic takeover of America" I say "But I don't want to live in California". And then I have to explain it them because being Democrats they can't figure out it on their own.

    People die in my city without air conditioner.
    Preach! I don't think people would live in Florida without AC.
    I wouldn't even smirk at you.

  • #20
    I don't FEEL wealthy. Ulrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    Oslo
    Oratio
    4,279

    Ignore User
    You've gotten rid of the repugs, great. The democrats suck, but less than republicans. Start working on them, too they won't change anything real unless forced to by the electorate.

    By the way, a/c to live will be mandatory for a lot more people soon. Too bad they can't afford it.

    And no, I don't have kids and I'm not planning to. Partly because I think it would be unethical to bring a kid into the world where there's a good chance everything will go to hell before they are thirty.

    Sent fra min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk

  • #21
    I don't FEEL wealthy. Ulrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    Oslo
    Oratio
    4,279

    Ignore User
    "Don't eat meat" "drive less" "think about that airline travel" - it's all useless. Individual actions won't solve this, just by tragedy of the commons if nothing else. It requires large scale, coordinated action.

    This is why the world is doomed. We are incapable of coordinated action under the current dogmas.

  • #22
    Religipster Enkhidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    7,099

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    "Don't eat meat" "drive less" "think about that airline travel" - it's all useless. Individual actions won't solve this, just by tragedy of the commons if nothing else. It requires large scale, coordinated action.

    This is why the world is doomed. We are incapable of coordinated action under the current dogmas.
    Yes, personal liberty does tend to skew things.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • #23
    I don't FEEL wealthy. Ulrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    Oslo
    Oratio
    4,279

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkhidu View Post
    Yes, personal liberty does tend to skew things.
    It's going to skew us all into climate breakdown hell.

  • #24
    The great con that was pulled by the rich was to convinced people that global warming is an individual or private matter, as opposed to a collective issue that needs worlwide reglementation and, more imprtantly, implementation.

    So, of course a useful idiots like Misty will point the finger at some made up individual. A strawwhataboutism of sorts. And once again he will have been useful to his masters. Hail Trump! Hail the Carbon Barons! Hail fascism! Hail racism*!

    *Global warming is also about racism, as it is the southern nations and their people who will suffer the bulk of it. Current anti-migrant politics are just the beginning as climate will displace many people in the south in the years to come. Fascism will get many more clients. Guys like Misty, Ovi, Pedo Bunny, etc, are really gonna be needed by their masters.
    Signature too big and pornographic. Next offense will be a ban.

  • #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    "Don't eat meat" "drive less" "think about that airline travel" - it's all useless. Individual actions won't solve this, just by tragedy of the commons if nothing else. It requires large scale, coordinated action.

    This is why the world is doomed. We are incapable of coordinated action under the current dogmas.
    The world is not doomed. At worst, mankind is doomed. The world has survived a lot worse and a lot hotter and kept on trucking along. Life will go on and maybe we will be in it, and maybe we won't.

  • #26
    I don't FEEL wealthy. Ulrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    Oslo
    Oratio
    4,279

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    The world is not doomed. At worst, mankind is doomed. The world has survived a lot worse and a lot hotter and kept on trucking along. Life will go on and maybe we will be in it, and maybe we won't.
    I'd really prefer a world with intelligent beings in it. But it looks as if we're going to learn about the Great Filter first hand.

    But I think the odds are good that humans will survive. Civilization, not so much. And I really have no desire to live through the end of civilization.

  • #27
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Exploder Wizard View Post
    Really stupid shit.
    Holy fuck you're dumb.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    We aren't going to burn(well, other than California anyway). Not now. Not in 25 years. Not in a century. As heat rises, so will ocean evaporation. The earth will become warmer, more humid, and rain a lot. It will be like going back a few hundred million years to when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.
    Holy fuck you're dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #28
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,394

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    You've gotten rid of the repugs, great. The democrats suck, but less than republicans. Start working on them, too they won't change anything real unless forced to by the electorate.
    We didn't "get rid of" anyone - it's been this way almost my entire life. And how exactly does one work on the democrats? They are bought and paid for by unions and a handful of special interest groups (like the trial lawyers). Unions pay for their campaign, they give back to the unions higher pensions and benefits, it's a nice little corrupt system that cannot be usefully opposed until it just collapses from bankruptcy. Their opponents by the way are often funded by the same unions - they make sure everyone is bought off just in case of an upset. It's a good investment.

    And the result of not having any real opposition? Corruption, and no progress. LA has fallen behind other major cities on pretty much every measurable.

    By the way, a/c to live will be mandatory for a lot more people soon. Too bad they can't afford it.
    And hey, we have carbon offsets in this state. I think we're the only one that does, and were leading the way on that issue. It's not working.

    And no, I don't have kids and I'm not planning to. Partly because I think it would be unethical to bring a kid into the world where there's a good chance everything will go to hell before they are thirty.

    Sent fra min Nexus 5X via Tapatalk
    So when are you quitting meat, preacher? You were all on board with blaming everyone else for their bad decisions which contribute to climate change right up until I kept calling you out on meat, and all of a sudden you're all "W'ere doomed, what's the point!"
    Last edited by Mistwell; October 13th, 2018 at 03:29 PM.
    I like hats.

  • #29
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,083

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    The IPCC is a forum for finding the conservative prediction that the great majority of climate scientists can agree on. They're now saying we're doomed in 25 years unless we implement drastic measures, and here you are, pretending to be the reasonable ones. We still have time to do plenty, but it won't be done, mostly because of people like you.

    Your children will die cursing your names.
    That not even what the SPM18 actually says, though, and the IPCC is very far away from claiming 'doomed' in any scenario. The SPM18 firstly ignores the IPCC finding that there is no currently agreed 'best' or central value for ECR, listing a 'likey' value from 1.5 to around 6. The models skew high on this, while the observational studies skew low; that's why the IPCC has backed off of a central value and just presents the range -- the science is uncertain. But the SPM picks an ECR above 3 for it's modelled results, and, even then, the biggest impact they have is a 3% reduction in world GDP by 2100. That's a loss of a single year of growth (at conservative rates) over the next 80 years. If that's "doom", we're not there.

    The idea of a runaway climate scenario is outlandish and unsupported. Even the models show that we'll have to already be roasting for a runaway to occur. The world has previously been at higher temperatures and higher CO2 and those periods were peak biodiversity. I think we can handle a bit of warming. The other thing the SPM18 does is studiously ignore all benefits of a warmer climate. If you're preaching doom, you've entered religious land and are praying to your gods to save you from armageddon, usually by creating a massive world governmental control system that has so far shown zero ability to function on a smaller scale. FFS, the US exited the Paris Accords and is, so far, the only signatory country to actually meet the goals therein.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik View Post
    I'd really prefer a world with intelligent beings in it. But it looks as if we're going to learn about the Great Filter first hand.

    But I think the odds are good that humans will survive. Civilization, not so much. And I really have no desire to live through the end of civilization.
    You won't. It's going to take longer than 25 years. There are far too many variables and unknowns for scientists to be that accurate. That's why they correct and change their models yearly, often more than once.

  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •