Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 381

Thread: Is everyone ready and excited to have a second (knowed) rapist on the supreme court of the US?

  1. #106
    pug cat! the Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    In the snow
    Oratio
    8,254

    Ignore User
    So for those of you poo-poo'ing the increasing number of accusers and potential witnesses as unreliable, suffering from memory problems, etc, do you think we should at least pause to look at these allegations? Because it really sounds like a lot of you guys are fine with not bothering, and just assuming that the alleged victims are all nutty and slutty, rather than that they just might represent a problematic pattern of behavior.

    Not saying we should send Kavanaugh to prison on suspicion alone, but god damn, is "well, he says he's not a rapist, so fuck it" really the standard we want when selecting lifetime appointees to the highest court in the land? What justifies the pell-mell rush to get him confirmed before these accusers even have a chance to have their say?
    Spoiler Alert!

 

  • #107
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,092

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    So for those of you poo-poo'ing the increasing number of accusers and potential witnesses as unreliable, suffering from memory problems, etc, do you think we should at least pause to look at these allegations? Because it really sounds like a lot of you guys are fine with not bothering, and just assuming that the alleged victims are all nutty and slutty, rather than that they just might represent a problematic pattern of behavior.

    Not saying we should send Kavanaugh to prison on suspicion alone, but god damn, is "well, he says he's not a rapist, so fuck it" really the standard we want when selecting lifetime appointees to the highest court in the land? What justifies the pell-mell rush to get him confirmed before these accusers even have a chance to have their say?
    You aren't reading if that's your takeaway. I fully support Ford getting her day in front of the committee, which, like it or mot, is the proper investigative agency for this. (As you say, this is about a nomination, not going to jail.) My main sticking point is that tgere has to be something investigable for there to be an investigation. Ford's claims aren't - no date, no year, no location. The only investigatable things there are those she naned present, who all deny it, including a life-long friend of Ford's. She should still get her day, which is today.

    Ramirez's claim is very similar, and, again, no one can corroborate the event.

    Swetnick is brand new, but already in trouble. It is, though, on her to provide those witnesses, which I'm sure Avenetti will drag his heels on as long as possible.

    Everything else, so far, is anonymous.

    If you actually think, for one instant that every media organization in the US isn't investigating as hatd as possible, your living in a fantasy. NYT called dozens to try and corroborate the Ramirez claim and could not. Normally, law enforcement has an edge in investigations because they have infirmation kept from the public. This, however, is being run in public. It's getting investigated to the hilt by unsympathetic-to-the-accused media.

    Swetnick is a clear outlier to this. I put that on Avenetti, who will spin his client as hard as possible to disrupt. Avenetti is a real world exemplar of Xyxox's online persona: brutally partisan and convinced they're far more clever than they are, but still clever.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    It didn't happen 'cause she wanted it, right bro?
    I may not have happened at all. Or it may be misremembered on her part and been someone else. Memories are usually very faulty when it comes to traumatic events.

    You want it, though. Don't you big boy?

  • #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post


    Because when you see that sort of behavior at parties, you go back 9+ more times!!! LOL. If that statement is true, she's as bad as him for allowing it to continue.

  • #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    As I said, don't look closely at that list. Especially the last name.
    Ellison has requested an investigation into the allegations against him. I think they should be investigated.

    Democrats are certainly not innocent in this, but I think it's clear Republicans have a much bigger problem.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

  • #111
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    You want it, though. Don't you big boy?
    Spoken like a true rapist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #112
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMaxperson View Post
    Because when you see that sort of behavior at parties, you go back 9+ more times!!! LOL. If that statement is true, she's as bad as him for allowing it to continue.
    I think people like you should forcibly be given a sex-change operation and hormone therapy solely so that you can gain the perspective that you so sorely lack due to your ASPD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #113
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,092

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Ellison has requested an investigation into the allegations against him. I think they should be investigated.

    Democrats are certainly not innocent in this, but I think it's clear Republicans have a much bigger problem.
    That's a bit blinkered. The Republicans do have a problem with this, but as many Democrats dipped into the sexual harrassment slush fund. To me, the real difference is that one side too often denies the problem while the other engages in open hypocrisy by claiming to be the champion for victims. Neither is a good look.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #114
    consequences 3catcircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Province
    New Jersey
    Oratio
    4,160

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    So for those of you poo-poo'ing the increasing number of accusers and potential witnesses as unreliable, suffering from memory problems, etc, do you think we should at least pause to look at these allegations? Because it really sounds like a lot of you guys are fine with not bothering, and just assuming that the alleged victims are all nutty and slutty, rather than that they just might represent a problematic pattern of behavior.

    Not saying we should send Kavanaugh to prison on suspicion alone, but god damn, is "well, he says he's not a rapist, so fuck it" really the standard we want when selecting lifetime appointees to the highest court in the land? What justifies the pell-mell rush to get him confirmed before these accusers even have a chance to have their say?
    No, because they've had 30+ years to either bring charges or file a lawsuit. The "I'm so scared of coming forward" bullshit doesn't wash.

  • #115
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
    The "I'm so scared of coming forward" bullshit doesn't wash.
    Yeah, it's like, I mean, what are they afraid of? Not being believed, humiliated, assaulted, threatened, shamed, denigrated, questioned and undermined? I mean, shit, it's 2018, this stuff just doesn't happen anymore...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #116
    pug cat! the Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    In the snow
    Oratio
    8,254

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
    No, because they've had 30+ years to either bring charges or file a lawsuit. The "I'm so scared of coming forward" bullshit doesn't wash.
    It's amazing to me that anyone could fail to understand why this happens.

    Hint: Look at the fucking shitshow those women are going through right now.

    Jesus fucking Christ, people. "Nothing to investigate" my ass.
    Spoiler Alert!

  • #117
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,092

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    It's amazing to me that anyone could fail to understand why this happens.

    Hint: Look at the fucking shitshow those women are going through right now.

    Jesus fucking Christ, people. "Nothing to investigate" my ass.
    They're going through a shitshow because they waited 36 years until the alleged perp is a SCOTUS nominee! Let's not conflate this circus with normalcy.

    Fir the investigation, what do you think the committee is doing? What do you think the FBI could bring to bear that the nefia hasn't? Recall, this is the FBI that put people in prison on known bad forensics for over a decade, and now we expect their involvement is just going to clear everything up? And they've already declined to investigate saying there's nothing to investigate.
    Last edited by Ovinomancer; September 27th, 2018 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I think ovi's right.

  • #118
    This is just more visible shit show than what every woman who comes forward goes through. People just don't see most of the shit shows. It's like how pretty blond girls who get murdered show up on the news and black girls who get murdered get a line in the back of the newspaper, if that. Because you don't see it doesn't mean its not there.
    We've always been at war with Eastasia.
    If other people's pain didn't amuse me, I wouldn't be a GM. -barsoomcore

  • #119
    toxic Xyxox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    8,633

    Ignore User
    Dr. Blasey Ford is perhaps the most patriotic person in the United States today. She's better than the hero this nation deserves right now.
    Trump is just Putin's little bitch.

  • #120
    pug cat! the Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    In the snow
    Oratio
    8,254

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    They're going through a shitshow because they waited 36 years until the alleged perp is a SCOTUS nominee! Let's not conflate this circus with normalcy.
    Let's not pretend that, Senate hearings aside, they wouldn't have gone through a very similar shit show if they had complained at the time. Let's not pretend that victim blaming isn't a thing; that protecting the reputation of the aggressor hasn't been as much of a concern on the parts of the authorities as protecting the innocent. Let's not pretend that we treat sexual assault victims all that much better than we are Blasey Ford in the vast majority of cases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Fir the investigation, what do you think the committee is doing?
    Are you serious? The committee isn't 'investigating' shit. They're playing politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    What do you think the FBI could bring to bear that the nefia hasn't?
    How about interviewing other (alleged) witnesses? How about verifying that Judge was employed at the Safeway when it's alleged he was? How about investigating the (growing!) number of other women who claim to have been assaulted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Recall, this is the FBI that put people in prison on known bad forensics for over a decade, and now we expect their involvement is just going to clear everything up?
    The FBI is the federal bureau in charge of- wait for it- it's in the name- INVESTIGATION. I'm pretty sure they have a variety of tools, techniques, and methods for... what's it called?... INVESTIGATING. Yeah, there have been some shit actions on the FBI's part. So are you suggesting that a politically-minded Senate committee is going to do a better job, because the FBI has fucked up in the past? Under that standard, we should do away with many police department investigative units in preference for letting local city councils do all the investigating. Fuck that- the Senators in question aren't trained investigators. They aren't impartial. They aren't even pretending to be impartial. Most of them have thrown their weight on the scales, one way or the other, days or weeks ago. They are absolutely the wrong group to be investigating anything involving this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    And they've already declined to investigate saying there's nothing to investigate.
    Given that there are multiple accusers, that's obviously false. Shouldn't alleged witnesses be deposed under oath, if not compelled to testify in front of the committee?
    Spoiler Alert!

  • Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •